Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Clash, BBC 4 tonight

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Happy New Year to you all.

I know one or two of you are fans of The Clash, BBC 4 tonight at 10.45 maybe worth a watch.

image.jpg

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Up there with my favourite bands.

Cheers. Will have to record as that's about an hour past my bedtime.

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
:thumbsup:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
there's more background on this doc via
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30641500

here's a brief extract

Where has the footage been for the last four decades?
Julian Temple: Rotting away in my shed! I can't really explain why it's taken so long to do anything with it. I think this must be the last Punk artefact left.
Were you shooting on film?
JT: The material was on a clunky half-inch video format which probably nobody now would believe if they saw it. You had to carry a big reel-to-reel recorder around and this box-like camera. And you had to wind on tapes by hand. It was right at the start of the video era and there's a sequence in the film where you see the band can't quite believe they're watching themselves back on TV because it's such new technology.

Why is the material in black and white?
JT: The technology was incredibly basic: I was just working with my student grant. We affectionately called the format "Glorious Bogroll Vision" but really it was murksville. Today monochrome footage would be perfectly graded with high-contrast effects. But the 1970s format has a dropout-ridden, glitchy feel which I enjoy now. In fact, we cut in a couple of extra glitches we liked them so much.

Addick

Jan 20, 2008
I recently saw the Temple film "The Future is Unwritten" a documentary about Strummer-really good and well worth a look

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
there's more background on this doc via
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30641500

here's a brief extract

Where has the footage been for the last four decades?
Julian Temple: Rotting away in my shed! I can't really explain why it's taken so long to do anything with it. I think this must be the last Punk artefact left.
Were you shooting on film?
JT: The material was on a clunky half-inch video format which probably nobody now would believe if they saw it. You had to carry a big reel-to-reel recorder around and this box-like camera. And you had to wind on tapes by hand. It was right at the start of the video era and there's a sequence in the film where you see the band can't quite believe they're watching themselves back on TV because it's such new technology.

Why is the material in black and white?
JT: The technology was incredibly basic: I was just working with my student grant. We affectionately called the format "Glorious Bogroll Vision" but really it was murksville. Today monochrome footage would be perfectly graded with high-contrast effects. But the 1970s format has a dropout-ridden, glitchy feel which I enjoy now. In fact, we cut in a couple of extra glitches we liked them so much.

Thanks for that, at the bottom of the page on that link it says BBC-Music-The Clash, under Around the BBC, it's worth clicking on that link for some decent stuff about the band.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Up there with my favourite bands.

Cheers. Will have to record as that's about an hour past my bedtime.

I thought it was worth giving this programme a mention early today, and give people chance to record it, I expect most had a late one last night and will probably be off to bed early.

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Excellent.. planner updated as distinct possibility that post piss-up snoring and dribbling will have started by then in my safe european home.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here