Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we looking for a new DoF?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are we looking to replace David Burke, or has Sir Tony Bloom given up on that role this time around?

Hughton has been brought in as manager, but so was Sami, and I haven't seen much comment from the club on our current set-up. With or without a new director of football, I'm sure Hughton will get a large say in a new players we get, as did Sami.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i hope so as there is value to the role, it just needs to be adjusted a bit to focus more on the non-first team areas.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Hopefully definitely not, scouts should report to the manager

Barber has got good fees re out going players, surely he can now be entrusted to buy players for as low a fees as possible, he does earn a fair bit in return for his efforts too

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Paul Winstanley heads up recruitment, NOT DoF, which is just as it should be IMHO.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
According to Linkedin, his role included the following, so I would assume that these would be taken up by various different people already in positions below him. Paul Winstanley has been made Head Scout for example.

Player and transfer negotiation.
Player budget
Player audits
Scouting and recruitment
Performance analysis
The Academy and player development
Player support services, education, welfare and liaison
Kit management
Women and girls elite football

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Looks like this is the new setup.......

Paul Winstanley, the Albion’s recently-appointed player identification manager, will now head the club’s network of scouts and work with the new manager to drive the Seagulls’ recruitment during the forthcoming January transfer window.

Bloom confirmed: “Paul Winstanley, who joined us from Derby County earlier this year, will now assist the new manager, once appointed, and myself in any January transfer activity.

“Paul will also be supported by our senior scouting team of Darren Wrack, Ian Pearce and Jamie Johnson and our team of football analysts.”

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looks like this is the new setup.......

Paul Winstanley, the Albion’s recently-appointed player identification manager, will now head the club’s network of scouts and work with the new manager to drive the Seagulls’ recruitment during the forthcoming January transfer window.

Bloom confirmed: “Paul Winstanley, who joined us from Derby County earlier this year, will now assist the new manager, once appointed, and myself in any January transfer activity.
Cheers.

So it looks like the role has been watered down a bit, and filled by an existing employee.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If in doubt, listen to Warren. Simple.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I'm sure I read that it was up in the air as Burke did much more than recruitment and had a lot of people reporting to him.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Cheers.

So it looks like the role has been watered down a bit, and filled by an existing employee.
Although a recently recruited employee, so maybe they've seen enough in his short time here to feel confident he can better support the new manager in whatever scouting/recruitment role it is. (as opposed to the club just taking the cheap option, for example)

As mentioned above though, it seems Burke had a pretty wide ranging role that accounted for plenty of non-recruitment related duties, so I can't imagine he's been fully replaced as yet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although a recently recruited employee, so maybe they've seen enough in his short time here to feel confident he can better support the new manager in whatever scouting/recruitment role it is. (as opposed to the club just taking the cheap option, for example)
I wasn't suggesting it was a cheap option, more that the position Burke had is no longer available.

As mentioned above though, it seems Burke had a pretty wide ranging role that accounted for plenty of non-recruitment related duties, so I can't imagine he's been fully replaced as yet.
But some of his most important tasks have been given to someone else, meaning we shouldn't be expecting a new recruit in Burke's old role.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Cheers.

Watered down a lot, but yes.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I wasn't suggesting it was a cheap option, more that the position Burke had is no longer available.

But some of his most important tasks have been given to someone else, meaning we shouldn't be expecting a new recruit in Burke's old role.
Very probably right on both counts.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Watered down a lot, but yes.
Can you explain why it's a lot, not a bit (sincere question BTW). I always assumed the most significant of Burke's roles was leading player scouting and recruitment, but that itself can change depending on how much say TB/PB give to the manager. For example, it looked on the outside like Sami was given more of a say than Oscar, but I couldn't be sure. And now Paul Winstanley will "head the club’s network of scouts and work with the new manager to drive the Seagulls’ recruitment" - which is the same thing. I expect Chris will have the final say, but then I think Sami would have too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Winstanley is basically doing most of Burke's role but isn't the be all and end all as TB and PB have realised a triumvirate wasn't the answer.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Could David Burke turn up at Palace as they are looking for a new D.o.F to replace Moody.
Burke worked with Pardew for a short time at Southampton. Go agent Burke. go and destroy.:lolol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Can you explain why it's a lot, not a bit (sincere question BTW). I always assumed the most significant of Burke's roles was leading player scouting and recruitment, but that itself can change depending on how much say TB/PB give to the manager. For example, it looked on the outside like Sami was given more of a say than Oscar, but I couldn't be sure. And now Paul Winstanley will "head the club’s network of scouts and work with the new manager to drive the Seagulls’ recruitment" - which is the same thing. I expect Chris will have the final say, but then I think Sami would have too.

Recruitment has always been a team effort which David Burke headed. Paul Winstanley reported to DB in the short time they were working together, for example. The only difference now really is that DB has gone - the team below him remains and I would suspect that CH now has the final say on transfers, whereas before it was not clear who did (either DB or SH for example). Whilst removing a level of management, it also makes things clearer for those who like someone to blame!

DB reported to TB, maybe Paul Winstanley will too? As TB has said that both he and CH will work closely with PW then I suspect so. TB will still have the final say on budgets, wages, fees etc I would guess (ie rubberstamping deals, or making decisions where perhaps a wanted player's wages are outside the current structure).

The rest of David Burke's role re the academy, the women's set up etc would be spread around amongst people already there, I would suggest, where they may too have to report to the board I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here