Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Single ski holidays

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Can anyone recommend a company for single person ski holidays ?
All my usual ski companions have for one reason or another decided they are not skiing this season and my wife doesn't want to go either so I'm on my own, trouble is the single person supplement is a killer !

I've had a quick google but not having a great deal of luck, ideally I'd like a company that offers ski hosting/guiding so that counts out all French resorts.

Has anyone had experience with single person ski holidays and could give me some pointers, not really too fussed on fancy accommodation, just somewhere to eat, sleep and shower really, and somewhere with some good advanced runs with a fairly large ski area as I think I'll cover a good distance on my own !

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Neilson Active Holidays normally offer a packages for solo travellers.

http://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/solo-ski-holidays

The chalet option in La Plagne looks decent.
yeah I did see that one, but due to stupid French law, ski guiding/hosting is now banned unless it's done by a qualified instructor so basically no British guiding anymore.
And I've been to la plagne loads of times now !

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Ohhhhh...La Plagne is definitely a no-go then.
Yeah, the French law is pretty crap for the British tour operators in resort now. However staying in a chalet you'll more likely to find like-minded people and groups who won't mind someone else tagging along for the day.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Can anyone recommend a company for single person ski holidays ?
All my usual ski companions have for one reason or another decided they are not skiing this season and my wife doesn't want to go either so I'm on my own, trouble is the single person supplement is a killer !

I've had a quick google but not having a great deal of luck, ideally I'd like a company that offers ski hosting/guiding so that counts out all French resorts.

Has anyone had experience with single person ski holidays and could give me some pointers, not really too fussed on fancy accommodation, just somewhere to eat, sleep and shower really, and somewhere with some good advanced runs with a fairly large ski area as I think I'll cover a good distance on my own !

My Mrs has never liked it. We get a nice hotel with good leisure facilities, i go off ski-ING and she chills out in hotel/spa. Have evenings together for dinner/drinks. Try it, best of both worlds.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
My Mrs has never liked it. We get a nice hotel with good leisure facilities, i go off ski-ING and she chills out in hotel/spa. Have evenings together for dinner/drinks. Try it, best of both worlds.

It's not that she doesn't like it, she just doesn't want to go this year, doesn't want to put the little one into childcare etc.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I'm having a weekend in Avoriaz in a couple of weeks on my own. Fly Friday early from Gatwick taxi from geneva. ski Friday PM Sat And Sun and then fly back Monday morning. can't wait now.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm having a weekend in Avoriaz in a couple of weeks on my own. Fly Friday early from Gatwick taxi from geneva. ski Friday PM Sat And Sun and then fly back Monday morning. can't wait now.

Easyjet to Geneva, morzexpress minibus? Dead simple journey. Leave crack of dawn on slopes at lunchtime :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ski club of Great Britain organise ski trips with no single supplement. They cater for a range of abilities as well so you won't end up in a group that's doing stuff too hard or easy for you. Even if you don't go on one of their holidays, they are allowed to provide ski guides in resorts and have a rep all season in all the major European resorts (including Avoriaz) - all you need to do is join for about £60 a year. Makes for a nice après ski social scene as well.

Hope we get some more snow soon. There was a massive dump last weekend; don't look of the forecast for the next week though!

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Ski club of Great Britain organise ski trips with no single supplement. They cater for a range of abilities as well so you won't end up in a group that's doing stuff too hard or easy for you. Even if you don't go on one of their holidays, they are allowed to provide ski guides in resorts and have a rep all season in all the major European resorts (including Avoriaz) - all you need to do is join for about £60 a year. Makes for a nice après ski social scene as well.

Hope we get some more snow soon. There was a massive dump last weekend; don't look of the forecast for the next week though!

Ski club aren't providing in guiding in France, they currently have a court case involving one of their reps and the French government. They will have ambassadors but they will not go on the slopes.
That said though a ski club organised holiday is a very good call.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9237#.VKU5W0bfWJI

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
K
Ski club aren't providing in guiding in France, they currently have a court case involving one of their reps and the French government. They will have ambassadors but they will not go on the slopes.
That said though a ski club organised holiday is a very good call.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9237#.VKU5W0bfWJI
That had passed me by completely. I thought that the ski club host training was enough to satisfy the French; maybe the bloke stopped in Val D was giving some sneaky instruction?

Can't really understand the principles of that bloke who has instructed for 30 odd years but refuses to take the euro test - it's not worth the 30k fine! Besides, I think that the euro test is a good idea. If I pay a few hundred euros for some instruction, I want to be sure that my instructor is a kick-ass skier. The same way that I don't think I could take a fat personal trainer seriously at the gym.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Don't know, never been on my own before !
Skiing is a very social thing though and the one thing everyone has in common is they're all there to ski, so you always get talking to people and more often than not tag along.
When ever I've been in groups we always get single skiers join us to ski.
I quite often go off on my own for a day as I'm a fairly advanced skier and can cover a lot more ground on my own rather than waiting for the not so good skiers.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
K
That had passed me by completely. I thought that the ski club host training was enough to satisfy the French; maybe the bloke stopped in Val D was giving some sneaky instruction?

Can't really understand the principles of that bloke who has instructed for 30 odd years but refuses to take the euro test - it's not worth the 30k fine! Besides, I think that the euro test is a good idea. If I pay a few hundred euros for some instruction, I want to be sure that my instructor is a kick-ass skier. The same way that I don't think I could take a fat personal trainer seriously at the gym.
Big difference between instructors and guides though, ski club leaders are there only to guide not to instruct and will only allow competent skiers to join their groups, so in that respect I don't personally believe they should be required to take the euro test, they are not paid and only receive expenses, the whole thing stinks of French protectionism.
That said I agree if you are instructing in a foreign country then you should be qualified to the correct standards, but the French should differentiate between instructing and guiding.

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
We are going to Les Gets in feb, there is a spare room in the chalet i think, if you are a like minded chap that could get involved with some early 30's lad snowboarders, lots of drinking and apres ski, then maybe you could tag along! we have been there before so know the ski area well.

this is what youre in for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OsEe9mnj7U

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here