Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Genuine request. Help with Broadband.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
As it stands out of contract with BT and on monthly terms. What i get and at present it is this Max 6mg,unlimited usage,plus phone and rental (free weekend calls) at £35 a month (i know top rate) been offered Infinity AT 21/29mgs unlimited+Sport,twelve month contract,same landline deal at £40 a month. Seems alot however having a look at prices only BT can provide 21/29mg,Sky,Plusnet and a few others Up To 17mgs. Virgin are not in the area. Usage would be at max One base unit,One Laptop and Three Tablets. Sound advice please. :wave:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Its2am. Why are you bothereD?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I have BT TV and it's awful. The set top box is nowhere near as good as other offerings. There is a severe lag when pressing buttons and the actual box responding. It freezes and fully reboots on a weekly basis and is just shoddy. We have no other option because we live in a listed building and no cable in Horsham.

With the number of devices you're running I severely doubt you'll notice much difference in performance between 16-17 meg and the BT performance. Unless you're doing a lot of online gaming I would definitely go for Sky over BT.

Camicus

You wont notice a huge amount of difference in broad band speed if the truth be told so go with who you trust. BT are ok but they use your router as a hotspot so that's a consideration. Ive had SKY in the past and there bundles are ok.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Christ you were proper mugged at that price.Nothing beats Virgin in my opinion but i know you can't get it. Heard Plusnet are good. Go through a cashback site or Voucher codes. I recently did this for Sky tv. Got a pretty good deal. Or i can recommend you and we both get £100 :)

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
If you twist some tinfoil into a spear shape and entangle it into your neighbours Sky disk, before pointing it at your television, you can actually get the Internet for free. The password is 'sex'.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
As it stands out of contract with BT and on monthly terms. What i get and at present it is this Max 6mg,unlimited usage,plus phone and rental (free weekend calls) at £35 a month (i know top rate) been offered Infinity AT 21/29mgs unlimited+Sport,twelve month contract,same landline deal at £40 a month. Seems alot however having a look at prices only BT can provide 21/29mg,Sky,Plusnet and a few others Up To 17mgs. Virgin are not in the area. Usage would be at max One base unit,One Laptop and Three Tablets. Sound advice please. :wave:

Sounds like you need the bandwidth more than you need the BT sport TV option, but you should check the bandwidth speeds carefully. Infinity is based on VDSL where the others will be using ADSL and there is a big difference in speed. I have BT infinity and get 36mb which is 5 times faster than the 7mb ADSL broadband service I was receiving using the same copper line into my house.

The speeds you quote from Sky, plusnet, etc... Sound way too high for ADSL and I doubt they will achieve more than the 6mb you currently get, but you should check this yourself to make sure.

The other plus with infinity is that ofcom have reported that their broadband speeds stay high in peak use periods where others see a sharper drop-off.

I agree with the other poster that the BT tv box could be better, but then I have an old version and their new youview boxes are supposed to be better.

Bottom line... If you need good broadband speed for your laptop / tablets more than you need tv, then go for BT. If you want better tv as well then you're probably better off looking at Sky, but it will cost more.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I believe that someone, don't know who, is offering a 4g router deal. Something like £20 unlimited. If 4g signal is good in your house might be worth looking at. This applies to kaizer_size as well.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Leaving Virgin & 4g aside, there are two ways to get broadband, copper all the way and fibre/copper. The speed you currently get is dependent, to a large extent, on the distance to your local exchange and all the other providers will use the same copper pairs, so promises of higher speeds over the same copper are pie in the sky.
If you go for Infinity the speed will depend on how far you are from the infinity cabinet; I'm about half a kilometer and I get around 35 meg.
I agree that the BT TV box is a pretty poor experience though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
do you need more than 6Meg link? when was the last time you sat their with a slow streaming download attributed to the connection (rather than your computer or server delays)? my advice either way, switch to plusnet for another provider for a few months then go back to BT taking advantage of the large Sainsbury vouchers for "new" customers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I switched to Sky a while back (taking the full package of tv, phone and broadband was a good deal) and upgraded to fibre at the same time. We're about 500m from the exchange box and the speed went from 3meg to well over 30 meg download speed. It's very noticeable on wifi on the sky HD box (movie downloads etc), pc streaming (Albion games I can't get to) and stuff like that. Cost increase was very small.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I switched to Sky a while back (taking the full package of tv, phone and broadband was a good deal) and upgraded to fibre at the same time. We're about 500m from the exchange box and the speed went from 3meg to well over 30 meg download speed. It's very noticeable on wifi on the sky HD box (movie downloads etc), pc streaming (Albion games I can't get to) and stuff like that. Cost increase was very small.

We only changed because we already had Sky tv, full package and I just enquired what they could do the broadband for if we came away from BT, we had been with BT for many years, Sky made an offer we could not refuse, when I spoke to BT and told them, they did try to compete by offering us their TV packages etc but could not come near what Sky were offering us.

I must say though, on the 3 occasions we had issues with BT we found their customer service to be excellent, one of the occasions (an e mail issue) had absolutely nothing to do with them but they still took control of my PC and sorted the problem.............to date we have had no reason to ring the Sky customer service regarding the Broadband but looking at others experiences I hope we don't have to either!

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
We only changed because we already had Sky tv, full package and I just enquired what they could do the broadband for if we came away from BT, we had been with BT for many years, Sky made an offer we could not refuse, when I spoke to BT and told them, they did try to compete by offering us their TV packages etc but could not come near what Sky were offering us.

I must say though, on the 3 occasions we had issues with BT we found their customer service to be excellent, one of the occasions (an e mail issue) had absolutely nothing to do with them but they still took control of my PC and sorted the problem.............to date we have had no reason to ring the Sky customer service regarding the Broadband but looking at others experiences I hope we don't have to either!

Sky have very good customer service - their call centers are in scotland i think, and of the calls i made to them when i was at uni, never had any real issues

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Sky have very good customer service - their call centers are in scotland i think, and of the calls i made to them when i was at uni, never had any real issues

Thats good to hear, yes they are in scotland, we have had to ring them regarding the Sky TV package before, on one occasion they credited us £5 as I was on the phone for so long, and complained, bitterly! but that was along time ago so hopefully its improved, that said I hope we don't have to ring them!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I've got broadband through utilities warehouse. Think it's about £23 a month, but it's unlimited and about 18meg. Which does me fine. Decided not to bother with a TV package - I've got Netflix, bbc iplayer, and my mum and dads sky go password, as well as standard freeview. Don't need for anything else!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agree with this, always found them very good.. One of our boxes was playing up recently, well out of warranty. They arranged an engineer visit (next day) and said the call out charge was £75 but as I'd been with them a long time they'd do it for £30. Guys turned up and simply swapped the box for a brand new (updated) model, no extra charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here