Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2015 Tomato and Chilli Growing Thread

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thought I'd get it in early.

Some may disagree but now is the time to get the chillies going from seed inside (well order the seeds).

I'll be sending off my order to South Devon tomorrow.

Happy growing 2015 ! Looking forward to tips from NSC own Monty The Vegster.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Started my onions, leeks, chillies and toms already. The hotter varieties need an early KO to mature as they take a lot longer to produce hot fruits.

BTW Homebase are selling Duke of York red and Nicola seed spuds for just 10p per pack! They are not priced at that on the shelf so you don't discover that fact until you pay for them. I bagged up large today. 10 bags for £1, Bargain!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Some may disagree but now is the time to get the chillies going from seed inside (well order the seeds).

I will willingly pass on any tips I can, but, I am no expert ! last years experiment with rooting cuttings from 1 year old Bird's Eye chillies was a partial success, as was overwintering Bird's Eyes and Jalapeno's . Looking to improve in both departments.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Started my onions, leeks, chillies and toms already. The hotter varieties need an early KO to mature as they take a lot longer to produce hot fruits.

BTW Homebase are selling Duke of York red and Nicola seed spuds for just 10p per pack! They are not priced at that on the shelf so you don't discover that fact until you pay for them. I bagged up large today. 10 bags for £1, Bargain!

Any other varieties or just those two ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I forgot to say CG, there is a South Devon Chilli Farm FB page that is worth joining for really good tips and banter.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I saved some seeds from a miniature variety chilli I've never seen before. The plants were growing in a pub so I took a few.

Very bushy and very very hot. Killers actually. The fruit were no longer then 1cm but packed with tiny seeds.

Had them drying out and if 1 germinates I'll be very happy.

I'll try and find them but have never seen them before on sale.

They are flat and very small.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yet again can I recommend - Black Sea Man - as THE best tomato variety I've ever tasted. Simple to grow, looks good and taste is just unbelievable!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I still have Scotch Bonnets in the greenhouse. Soon to be made into chilli sauce. Can't believe it is already time to start thinking about the next season.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I woke up this morning thinking I need to plan the year ahead and was considering starting the 2015 season, thread off.

Hope this year proves more fruitful than last. Ended up with a very poor crop

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
It appears that I have made a head start.
I started off my grow for show onions back in November...
87b575e147628caa9d8748ad9da758a8.jpg

They are about 18" tall now and doing well. I hope to achieve a 5lb onion this year. Not huge in comparison to the serious growers. Purely an experiment to see how they get on and a talking point on the allotment.
Feel free to check me out on Facebook 'The Allotment Shed'
Or on my website www.theallotmentshed.co.uk
The site is in its early stages and is expanding all the time.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
I fancy a go at the Carolina Reaper this year, Looks a beast.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Toms, chillis and peppers sown today.

I was thinking of setting up a website where i could do a video of me driving to my garden and showing you what an utter c*** i was lol

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Yet again can I recommend - Black Sea Man - as THE best tomato variety I've ever tasted. Simple to grow, looks good and taste is just unbelievable!

Where's the best place to buy seeds? Might give it a go this year.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Where's the best place to buy seeds? Might give it a go this year.

To be honest I don't do the seed buying at work so not sure. However, I checked some of the places we order from and Thompson & Morgan have 'Black Russian' in. Looks very very similar from that photo but not sure that it's exactly the same variety with a name change as it's a heritage variety. http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vege...ato-seeds/tomato-black-russian-heritage/319TM I'll ask at work for you where we've bought it from previously, but companies do change what they stock from year to year.

I say that about name changes because we grow a very nice sausage shaped beetroot labelled as 'cylindra', but it now appears to be labelled as 'alto' by some companies. I can't tell the difference between the two beetroots.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
To be honest I don't do the seed buying at work so not sure. However, I checked some of the places we order from and Thompson & Morgan have 'Black Russian' in. Looks very very similar from that photo but not sure that it's exactly the same variety with a name change as it's a heritage variety. http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vege...ato-seeds/tomato-black-russian-heritage/319TM I'll ask at work for you where we've bought it from previously, but companies do change what they stock from year to year.

I say that about name changes because we grow a very nice sausage shaped beetroot labelled as 'cylindra', but it now appears to be labelled as 'alto' by some companies. I can't tell the difference between the two beetroots.

don't worry mate, I have found them on-line but being a tight git I balked at expensive delivery costs when no doubt all they do is stick it in an envelope and post it first class.

I was hoping you were going to name a local garden centre :)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Bit of a way out for Sussex based veg fans, but Ayletts garden centre near St Albans is a good place to get a variety of spuds.
They do a pick 'n' mix of most types, even with old WW2 favourites punk:

http://www.aylettnurseries.co.uk/

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
don't worry mate, I have found them on-line but being a tight git I balked at expensive delivery costs when no doubt all they do is stick it in an envelope and post it first class.

I was hoping you were going to name a local garden centre :)

I know what you mean about being a tight git, we do buy a lot of our seeds like runner beans and what not from the local Wyevale garden centre when on a sale. Some varieties we buy from seed catalogues though.

I buy some of my own seeds for the allotment from ESK, and their own country value range is excellent value when compared to the Mr Fothergills that they stock at about three times the price!

I was once in a B&Q seed buying and noticed a half opened box on the floor that a shelf stacker had left. Inside the box was B&Q own brand seeds but the box was wrapped in Suttons tape! Clearly the B&Q seeds were supplied by Suttons and I wondered if they were the same seed as the Sutton branded ones but Suttons own just cost twice the price as you pay for the name. Certainly got me thinking :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here