Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sherwood?

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
With Hughton in charge at the Amex, Pulis at The Hawthorns, and a distinct lack of interest from St James's Park, what does this tell us about how Chairmen / Club Owners feel about Sherwood?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hughton had been out of work for 8 months despite being a brilliant Championship manager ( allegedly ). Lot's of "good " managers seem unemployable for unknown reasons, for instance , what ever happened to Curbishley ?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Presumably that he's not, in the cold light of day, got the experience or personality that they're after, especially when compared to those that were available.

Despite his impressive record at Spurs I do wonder how much damage he did to his future prospects elsewhere when he helped to make it into the 'Sherwood Show' for the last few weeks.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Most chairmen at this stage of the season want an experienced manager to get them out of the shite. Sherwood is not that man. He would be a good option in the summer when he has half a season to prove his managerial qualities. Exactly why we were right not to choose him now.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We could have supplied him with a club gillet too

20141113-133315-3147_420x315_w.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I confidently predict Sherwood will end up at Forest.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Sherwood has no track record to speak of but seems to bracket himself as a Premiership manager. He would be a punt for a Premiership Club.

Yeah clubs need experience and track records at this time of the season, theres no real time for 'big' gambles... At the start of the year is when you might wanna consider a gamble.

Still, I heard Sherwood wanted something like £25k from us, and Hyypia only £5kpw. So maybe Sherwood prices himself out of potential jobs.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Do we actually know if Sherwood was interviewed for the Amex hotseat?
I would guess he must have with his close links with Paul Barber.

No, he wasn't

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Still, I heard Sherwood wanted something like £25k from us, and Hyypia only £5kpw. So maybe Sherwood prices himself out of potential jobs.

And his support team would cost a fair amount too I would guess. He seems to have priced himself out of a job.

He needs to lower his expectations, find a League 1/Championship side and prove he can do the job. Work his way up, like most managers have had to.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Presumably that he's not, in the cold light of day, got the experience or personality that they're after, especially when compared to those that were available.

I read both him and Pulis are very head strong, outspoken and neither will take any crap. As an employing chairman I guess you'd be willing to entertain those qualities in Pulis as his record stands up and he's earned that level of trust/respect. Whereas Sherwood is still an unproven manager with limited track record and hasn't earned that right yet. Sherwood would be better off going for a lower placed club with good fundamentals.

Poyet was a number 2 at a big club in Leeds and also Spurs and yet his desire to manage didnt stop him coming to a struggling league 1 club playing at an athletics track..... Poyet has earned the right to get his premier job having succeeded with us. I dont think Sherwood has earned that right yet and he's aiming way to high.

If he gets a top job, it will be in the summer when time/points is not such a precious issue, he wont get one now from a struggling prem club in the sacking season, with not much time and not enough points to gamble on a rookie

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Sherwoods stats as Spurs interim manager are actually quite good.....So why did they out him?
I don't know him, or much about him, but it does seem odd that he appears to be unemployable. Does this vid explain what goes on in his head, and something of his unusual criticism of the team. Maybe they thought he would unsettle the players?

http://youtu.be/PKb1J9xHtZQ

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When Sherwood was at Spurs he generally did very badly in matches against the big teams. I'm not sure that he has the tactical nous to compete in the top half of the Prem, and if he is to do anything in management it is likely to be getting teams promoted to the Prem.

I actually think the Albion job was tailor-made for him - good kids to bring through, Prem quality facilities, a Director of Football buying the players leaving him and his team to coach. I just not sure he has the right temperament for management. Puns apart, I think Forest will suit him because he has an ego and Forest are a big club, but they'll have to bring through kids because they've failed FFP.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
And his support team would cost a fair amount too I would guess. He seems to have priced himself out of a job.

He needs to lower his expectations, find a League 1/Championship side and prove he can do the job. Work his way up, like most managers have had to.

Gillingham then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here