Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fridge Freezer help

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Long shot but NSC provides a whole host of expertise so who knows?

2 year old Beko American style unit that all of a sudden is making a terrible grinding type of noise. Stops when the freezer door is opened?

Wanted to see if anyone in the trade here before resorting to YP's or manufacturers service people and getting had over

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Is there a build up of ice in there. Pull out the draws and have a look especially near the circulation fan.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Ive got a 4 year old beko American style unit that has been making that noise for a year and still working!

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
Our frost free hotpoint F/Freezer was making the same noises for 6 months or so before finally "giving up" completely before christmas.
After speaking to a mate in Milton Keynes who is a refrigeration engineer , we were advised to empty the fridge and freezer for 24 hours , leave the doors open and let it completely defrost.
It worked and now there is no more noises from the fan . Give it a go , everything to gain.
We put the fridge stuff on a table in the garden and bought a second hand freezer from the friday ad for 20 quid which saw us through.
Good luck.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just read that it could be the drip pan container catching on the compressor.

Not sure where I find that! Nothing in my crap manual that helps. The noise is definately coming from the rear and top of freezer side .... and very loud!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Our frost free hotpoint F/Freezer was making the same noises for 6 months or so before finally "giving up" completely before christmas.
After speaking to a mate in Milton Keynes who is a refrigeration engineer , we were advised to empty the fridge and freezer for 24 hours , leave the doors open and let it completely defrost.
It worked and now there is no more noises from the fan . Give it a go , everything to gain.
We put the fridge stuff on a table in the garden and bought a second hand freezer from the friday ad for 20 quid which saw us through.
Good luck.

Cheers ... ours is a frost free thing but may give this a go if nothing else works

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
Cheers ... ours is a frost free thing but may give this a go if nothing else works

Ours is frost free too , it was an ice blockage on the fan causing our problems.
Eat all your food from the freezer and bung the fridge stuff in the garden.
The source of the problem was caused by the fridge door being left slightly ajar at some point.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
No, all OK

You wont be able to see the ice, it forms on the evaporator which is behind an air chamber.
A de-frost is good short term advice, if it happens again though, there may be something wrong with the de-frost circuit.
It stops when you open the door because it's the circulation fan and that doesn't run with the door open.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You wont be able to see the ice, it forms on the evaporator which is behind an air chamber.
A de-frost is good short term advice, if it happens again though, there may be something wrong with the de-frost circuit.
It stops when you open the door because it's the circulation fan and that doesn't run with the door open.

OK, thanks for that. Had pretty well decided to try it from the stuff that [MENTION=20367]Magicman[/MENTION] had posted but good to get a 2nd vote!

Any idea on the shortest time it might need to defrost?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The fact that it is Beko should tell you the problem. Just be grateful it hasnt burst into flames yet.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Have you tried kicking it?

Usually shuts noisy fans up for a while. (Even works on most footie fans too!)

NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
OK, thanks for that. Had pretty well decided to try it from the stuff that [MENTION=20367]Magicman[/MENTION] had posted but good to get a 2nd vote!

Any idea on the shortest time it might need to defrost?
Depends how bad the ice is.
I normally recommend a good 48 hours

NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Oh f**k ... oh well, will give it a go ... cheers!
Shame I'm not on the tools any more, I could sort it out with a steam cleaner in no time and check the de-frost circuit

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
May I hijack this thread? Good. Our built in Fridge Freezer (Neff) has given up the ghost but it was covered by insurance. The insurers are replacing it but only deliver not fit or take old one away. Anyone in the Seaford area know of someone who could do the replacement? Thanks for any help.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Samsung fridge-freezers had the same problem, it's the fan inside hitting a ice buildup due to a faulty de-icer system. They replaced the unit free of charge on all their fridges as it can lead to them catching fire and at the same time they added a cutout switch to prevent a fire.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here