Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henry Hughton

cyber seagull

Jul 18, 2003
Apologies if fixtures but I've just realised that it was our new managers Brother that ended Gerry Ryan's career back in 1985 at Selhurst. I can remember the noise of his leg snapping as if it were yesterday.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Correct. And also the bricks that the P***** scum were lobbing over the bogs into the Albion fans. (Concrete ones I mean!)
Yep remember it well. Sound of the leg snapping and all the trouble. Brighton fans were as bad though. Saw loads of them lobbing pieces of concrete, bricks and coins at Palace and thinking that the net between the fans looked far too flimsy to stop bricks. Discusting behaviour I might add but at the time it just seemed normal.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I was gutted when that happened. Ryan is one of my all time fav players - I am hoping that in his first press conference CH makes an unreserved apology on behalf of his brother and then we can all move on.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That would be a very harsh first question at the unveiling presser...'Are you aware your brother is one of the biggest villains in Brighton history?' :wink:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was gutted when that happened. Ryan is one of my all time fav players - I am hoping that in his first press conference CH makes an unreserved apology on behalf of his brother and then we can all move on.

He is a friend of Gerry Ryan having roomed with him on ROI duties. Gerry himself said this at one of Kerry Mayo's testimonial gigs.

cyber seagull

Jul 18, 2003
I was 15 years old and it was my first away game with my mates rather than my Dad. Spent most of the night dodging bricks, sitting on the train watching it get smashed up and generally shitting ourselves. Proper baptism of fire. Didn't they cancel the Seagull Special after that game?

el punal

Yep remember it well. Sound of the leg snapping and all the trouble. Brighton fans were as bad though. Saw loads of them lobbing pieces of concrete, bricks and coins at Palace and thinking that the net between the fans looked far too flimsy to stop bricks. Discusting behaviour I might add but at the time it just seemed normal.

Unfortunately that was the way of the world in football at that time. And, not long after, we had the fan killed at the Birmingham - Leeds game, Heysel, the Bradford City fire and Hillsborough to name a few. Sorry times.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was 15 years old and it was my first away game with my mates rather than my Dad. Spent most of the night dodging bricks, sitting on the train watching it get smashed up and generally shitting ourselves. Proper baptism of fire. Didn't they cancel the Seagull Special after that game?

Same sort of thing for me - I was 14. I remember the "tackle" in front of the Arthur Waite stand (which had been the scene of frequent running battles all game) as clear as day, along with half time where all the Palace mongs charged down the stairs chucking coins at us. Whereas I barely remember the goals at all.

I even remember the gate - a comedy small 8,025. And that was a BIG gate for them that season.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Absurd post - you can hardly blame Chris Hughton for a tackle (yes it was horrendous and I can still hear it and see it too) made by his brother. And the notion that the first thing he should do is apologise for the tackle on behalf of his brother is even more absurd.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here