Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nathan Jones 89 (Thread)
Sami Hyypia 64 (Thread)
Oscar Garcia 56 (Thread)

The latest Gus thread I can find was February before he left where he was hoping to break into the top ten. I think he made it to 6th.

League Managers Association statement - http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/news-7235.html

LMA STATEMENT ISSUED REGARDING GUS POYET

The LMA has issued the following statement regarding Gus Poyet, further to Brighton & Hove Albion FC failing to uphold his appeal against dismissal.

LMA chief executive Richard Bevan said, “I am really very surprised that the Club has made the decision to dispense with the services of such an outstanding football manager as Gus Poyet.

“Gus has an excellent record of success with the Club, as can be seen from the statistics set out below. We have every faith in Gus’s integrity and have been impressed with the manner in which he has conducted himself during what, for him, has been an extremely difficult period.

“We have supported Gus throughout the disciplinary process and will continue to do so as required. We do not consider that the charges against him amounted to gross misconduct. Gus will now reflect on the outcome and discuss options with the legal team. It would, therefore, not be appropriate to make any further comment at this time”.

Gus Poyet stats:
At the time of his departure Poyet was the 6th longest serving manager in English football.
• Poyet joined Brighton in November 2009 with the Club in a relegation battle in League One - they were in the relegation zone.
• He achieved promotion and a league title in his first full season as a manager.
• He was later recognised by his peers in the division, as the managers of League One voted him as the Manager of the Year for 2011.
• In 2011/12, Poyet won the Football Managers Outstanding Managerial Achievement Award at the Football League Awards.
• He enjoyed an excellent first season in the nPower Championship, achieving a 10th place finish.
• In 2012/13, he guided Brighton to the play-offs after finishing 4th in the Championship.
• Their fourth place this year is the Club's highest finish since 1983 - ie in 30 years.
• He has won 3 Manager of the Month awards during his time in charge.
• Also during his time in charge, the Club moved into the new Amex Stadium - at a cost of £93 million.
• His overall record with Brighton stands as follows:
o Played 194
o Won 86
o Drawn 59
o Lost 49
o Win ratio - 44.3%

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Up to 88th with the changes at Newcastle and Palace becoming official.

Caretakers:
John Carver at Newcastle
Andy Hessenthaler at Gillingham

Both officially given these roles after Hughton took over, so don't affect Hughton's place.

Dean Saunders claims he is only in the role until John Gregory recovers from surgery. Is he a caretaker manager or a permanent one? That was the last change before Hughton, so could move our Chris up a place if you want to ignore caretaker managers and you consider Saunders one.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I fear my guess of a low 80's place at the end of the season may have been a little too conservative...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dean Saunders claims he is only in the role until John Gregory recovers from surgery. Is he a caretaker manager or a permanent one? That was the last change before Hughton, so could move our Chris up a place if you want to ignore caretaker managers and you consider Saunders one.
It's "Longest serving manager", and Dean has been serving longer than Chris, so I'd put Dean higher.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's "Longest serving manager", and Dean has been serving longer than Chris, so I'd put Dean higher.
What would you do regarding John Gregory? Presumably they would both carry on moving upwards until such time as one/both of them are out of the job...?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What would you do regarding John Gregory? Presumably they would both carry on moving upwards until such time as one/both of them are out of the job...?
Dean starts as of the day he, er, started. I'd say John is off the list for now - if he returns, he flies straight up to where he would have been had he not left.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I agree, that's my default on this. But Wozza (and I'm sure he's not alone) is of the opinion that Caretaker managers aren't serving as managers, they are serving as caretakers and as such they should be ignored, so I was wondering where Saunders's place fits in that case, and pointing out Saunders is above Hughton, so it would move Hughton up one if he views it as not counting.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Dean starts as of the day he, er, started. I'd say John is off the list for now - if he returns, he flies straight up to where he would have been had he not left.
But is he not still the manager? Surely, as long as he's employed in that role then he's still serving? He may not be active but he's still there...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But is he not still the manager? Surely, as long as he's employed in that role then he's still serving? He may not be active but he's still there...

Assuming Gregory returns, my plan is to view them as two reigns, with an asterisk explaining the sabbatical.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree, that's my default on this. But Wozza (and I'm sure he's not alone) is of the opinion that Caretaker managers aren't serving as managers, they are serving as caretakers and as such they should be ignored
They're wrong :D The two things everyone in the list have in common, are that they pick the team, and they choose the tactics. Or are we now going to say that head coaches aren't allowed on the list? A caretaker manager is, until further notice, the ****ing manager!

But is he not still the manager? Surely, as long as he's employed in that role then he's still serving?
He's not picking the team, he's not choosing the tactics, he's not on the ****ing list.

Life would be easier for everyone if they didn't argue with me.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
He's not picking the team, he's not choosing the tactics, he's not on the ****ing list.

Life would be easier for everyone if they didn't argue with me.

But if he's picking up the wages then he is still employed as the manager so should surely count (is he actually even still there? This could be a massive waste of time otherwise)?

Life would easier for you if just agreed with the rest of us...

Aug 23, 2011
But if he's picking up the wages then he is still employed as the manager so should surely count (is he actually even still there? This could be a massive waste of time otherwise)?

Life would easier for you if just agreed with the rest of us...

Wiki says he stepped down on 27th dec. if he is still getting paid then it's probably not full pay

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But if he's picking up the wages then he is still employed as the manager so should surely count
You're turning into TheJosh. You don't actually believe what you're saying do you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here