Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2 year old shoots dead mother in USA

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The pro-gun law in America dates back to civil war times when neighbouring states might just turn up with an army. Totally irrelevant today in the context it was meant.

I have always wondered if you ran for president on a ticket of:
No hand guns
No automatic guns
No guns at all in built up areas

Would you get enough support to win? I think maybe. I can't believe the general population is as pro-gun as the spokesmen we see on TV.

It's difficult to understand the Americans mentality on guns, maybe they nearly all grow up doing a bit of shooting with Pop or at Pop and feel its a right of passage thing. To me its a simple solution, limiting guns is just so obvious.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You're only looking at the negatives. He's well ahead of his rivals when it comes to leading a gang and bragging rights.

If I were having to be serious for a minute, I'd suggest he's just told his mum died in an accident. Not that I want to think about it seriously, it's too sad, so I'm going to stick to taking the piss out of the yanks and their stupid gun laws.

I suppose at least when he gets his first gun he will be well aware of the safety catch.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Imagine going into your local Sainsburys/Tesco etc knowing that half the nutters you see in there had concealed guns on them!!

See you've never been out shopping in Manchester before :lolol:

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014
Not that it matters but I don't think I am - isn't fatalism a belief in pre determined events?

Yeah, it pretty much is.

I guess our differences here lie in what we'd do next. My reading of your comments, and others like it, are that you'd draw a line under it and say 'shame, but can't see what else we could have done' - as in it was unavoidable, which is about as close to a belief in things being pre-determined as you can get.

I take the view that many others here have, that it was inevitable with gun laws/attitudes as they are, but it was totally avoidable. So while it has a definite tragic element to it, I feel that it is as much farcical as it is tragic - although I accept that the family would feel different.

If I have put words in your mouth, sorry - just my reading of it.

FWIW, my view comes after spending a lot of time in SE Asia and I'd come across this attitude a lot about things that we'd never accept, such as helmets for children on motorbikes. Fatalism in this regard infuriated me, and is a lethal perspective.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Yeah, it pretty much is.

I guess our differences here lie in what we'd do next. My reading of your comments, and others like it, are that you'd draw a line under it and say 'shame, but can't see what else we could have done' - as in it was unavoidable, which is about as close to a belief in things being pre-determined as you can get.

I take the view that many others here have, that it was inevitable with gun laws/attitudes as they are, but it was totally avoidable. So while it has a definite tragic element to it, I feel that it is as much farcical as it is tragic - although I accept that the family would feel different.

If I have put words in your mouth, sorry - just my reading of it.

FWIW, my view comes after spending a lot of time in SE Asia and I'd come across this attitude a lot about things that we'd never accept, such as helmets for children on motorbikes. Fatalism in this regard infuriated me, and is a lethal perspective.

Yeah - we're talking at cross purposes. My only point is that if tragedy is defined as an event causing intense suffering then I'm not convinced that the perceived likelihood of the event occurring is that relevant (especially to those closely affected). No comment or suggestion was intended on next steps or fatalism - there's clearly plenty that could be done if there was the collective will to do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here