Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What counts as 'foul and abusive language' ?

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Simple question really - just watching the Leeds game on Sky, and Alex Mowatt clearly turned towards the linesman (and camera) and called him a f***ing c**t. It was the same on Match of the Day last night too, when some West Ham numpty conceded a penalty and went apoplectic with the ref. Neither of these two were booked.

So, what actually is 'foul and abusive language' in football? Is there a sliding scale (2 c**ts and a b**locks = yellow, a w*an*er and a f*nny = red???), or does it have to be racist before they get sent off? I seem to remember a documentary years ago where a ref was miked up, and he said that swearing was allowed, but if anyone called him a cheat then he'd book them.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Rooney does it all the time.
If the ref doesn't find it foul or abusive in his opinion,then it isn't deemed to be so.
Another total cop out,but are we surprised?.
BTW.They call them cheats a lot as well.You only need to lip read.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I sat on a commission once with a female ref, her name slips me at the mo but did football league line, she sent a player off for foul and abusive and in her report she said 'what he said could be termed medically correct but it was the manner in which he said it' you work out what he called her.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Any sentance that includes the word cheat and you are in big trouble but that is not foul or abusive is it.
It seems to me that it depends on the player/ref because Rooney would have been sent off every week a few seasons ago.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
I sat on a commission once with a female ref, her name slips me at the mo but did football league line, she sent a player off for foul and abusive and in her report she said 'what he said could be termed medically correct but it was the manner in which he said it' you work out what he called her.

Billings?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here