Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corfu ship sends distress call after armed men on board.....

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Greece is sending a navy frigate and a helicopter to locate a cargo ship believed to be carrying hundreds of migrants in the northern Ionian Sea after authorities received a distress call from someone on board the ship, authorities said.
The ship, the Moldovan-flagged Blue Sky M, was sailing in poor weather near the tiny island of Othonoi, northwest of Corfu. Authorities said the distress call had come from one of the passengers on board the ship.
The ship is believed to be carrying about 600 migrants....

seems a bit odd a cargo ship carrying migrants ? Or is that the norm ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Greece is sending a navy frigate and a helicopter to locate a cargo ship believed to be carrying hundreds of migrants in the northern Ionian Sea after authorities received a distress call from someone on board the ship, authorities said.
The ship, the Moldovan-flagged Blue Sky M, was sailing in poor weather near the tiny island of Othonoi, northwest of Corfu. Authorities said the distress call had come from one of the passengers on board the ship.
The ship is believed to be carrying about 600 migrants....

seems a bit odd a cargo ship carrying migrants ? Or is that the norm ?

Happens all the time, surely you've heard of these? It's highly unlikely to be a legal cargo, I think it's fair to say. Just hundreds of desperate humans from Africa, or the Middle East, who've paid a bunch of gangsters their entire life savings to try and smuggle them into Europe.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
merchant ships are picking up migrants in the med constantly. They have to answer distress calls. This is the biggest scam going and every bleeding heart thinks it's because they are just unseaworthy and desperate. This is well organised and cynical.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Probably more profitable.

Far from it this is costing ship operators, owners, managers and charterers fortunes but because of ethics no one will stop picking them up even when they know it's a scam. You could not be more wrong, or do a bigger disservice to people on these ships sucked into this cynical scam, if you tried.

All this political grandstanding from various countries about stopping their navies or coastguard involvement in picking up migrants is total bs, their involvement is limited.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Happens all the time, surely you've heard of these? It's highly unlikely to be a legal cargo, I think it's fair to say. Just hundreds of desperate humans from Africa, or the Middle East, who've paid a bunch of gangsters their entire life savings to try and smuggle them into Europe.

I have heard of the poor souls on hardly sea worthy boats, but was unaware they get on board cargo ships, I mean 600 is a heck of an amount to hide getting onto a boat. Then again pay the right people to look the other way and anything is possible.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have heard of the poor souls on hardly sea worthy boats, but was unaware they get on board cargo ships, I mean 600 is a heck of an amount to hide getting onto a boat. Then again pay the right people to look the other way and anything is possible.

Easy enough if you put them in shipping containers to start off with, I guess.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

They send out distresss signals as soon as possible, there is no intention for the original craft to get anywhere near shore, only the nearest poor dupe of a merchant vessel.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Do you work in shipping [MENTION=12211]The Spanish[/MENTION]?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Looks like the slave trade is back.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Merchant ship with 450 migrants and no crew heading towards Italian coast

Oh look, another ship full of migrants, welcome to the year 2015!

D

Deleted member 22389

I always said this would be the next thing they would do. It's worked once and now they will keep doing it.
Feed these people, but that should be the end of it. After this they need to send these ships back because the EU cannot accept the whole world coming over.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

exactly.....the money paid , no doubt , finds itself , eventually being used to purchase guns or other weapons to perpetuate the cause of these illegal migrations.....which is why it needs stopping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here