Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Hive Mind Strikes Again

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So is Nathan Jones alright now then?

Can we just bear in mind in the future that it is nigh on impossible to judge the performance of an assistant manager. Most poor managers (which Hyypia undoubtedly was) just want their assistant to nod and agree. Remember that OG wanted to take Jones with him, I always thought that was an important bit of information.

Whether he's the right man for the no.1 job or not, we should be aiming to keep him involved.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Football fans = Fickle.

Not sure how this is new news to you.

I didn't like him (and still don't) for his antics when he played for Yeovil, but my lord what a passionate chap he is right now, and it's all we've been asking for.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Don't forget, NSC has only TWO settings.

4954049243_d5549d9f7c.jpg

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
I think Barber is being polite saying that NJ is being considered. Realistically until they find the replacement he needs to support him, in case they can't get someone suitable. In current position, while he provides passion, I don't think he has the required experience to both get us away from danger and build a squad to mount a serious challenge for next year. In the mean time, what a fantastic job he is doing in restoring some faith in the team and the fans.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Great result at Fulham and he made clear why. I like the cut of his jib. Promoting from within has worked with Swansea and Gary Monk, so why not here? Pulis may well look at the Premier League options that are opening up and frankly I'm not excited by Hughton who was another Sami at Norwich. NJ has made a good pitch for the job, clearly intelligent and knowledgeable, plus speaks fluent Spanish. I suspect he is a workaholic and I definitely saw signs of Oscar's style in the play against Reading. And I don't think he would be a pushover for the suits either. I see he was also tempted to have Calde alongside him for the Reading game, but for needing him more on the pitch. Calde already did more coaching from the touchline than Sami in his desperation to get the team organised. Perhaps a Player/No 2 role? I'm actually beginning to wonder if Barber is serious about NJ and, if he is, I'm beginning to warm to the idea rather than someone less committed to the club. Plus as the interviewer said to NJ post match, the players were clearly playing for him and throwing bodies in the way. We haven't had that since Adam El-Abd left. Plus in Colunga, I think we may have our new Ashley Barnes. I think he's great and the best quality player we have. But I suspect others aren't so sure. He works hard, he's feisty and talented, already had a silly sending off, takes a cracking 'make the keeper look an idiot' penalty, but seems to divide opinion.NJ commented on his hard work, defensive shift and star quality post match. He got a performance out of him.
It's risky, but maybe no more than others if TP isn't available. In fact, either way, I realise I'm in the NJ camp now.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Great result at Fulham and he made clear why. I like the cut of his jib. Promoting from within has worked with Swansea and Gary Monk, so why not here? Pulis may well look at the Premier League options that are opening up and frankly I'm not excited by Hughton who was another Sami at Norwich. NJ has made a good pitch for the job, clearly inteligent and knowledgeable, plus speaks fluent Spanish. I suspect he is a workaholic and I definitely saw signs of Oscar's style in the play against Reading. And I don't think he would be a pushover for the suits either. I see he was also tempted to have Calde alongside him for the Reading game, but for needing him more on the pitch. Calde already did more coaching from the touchline than Sami in his desperation to get the team organised. Perhaps a Player/No 2 role? I'm actually beginning to wonder if Barber is serious about NJ and, if he is, I'm beginning to warm to the idea rather than someone less committed to the club. Plus as the interviewer said to NJ post match, the players were clearly playing for him and throwing bodies in the way. We haven't had that since Adam El-Abd left. Plus in Colunga, I think we may have our new Ashley Barnes. I think he's great and the best quality player we have. But I suspect others aren't so sure. He works hard, he's feisty and talented, already had a silly sending off, takes a cracking 'make the keeper look an idiot' penalty, but sems to divide opinion.NJ his hard work, defensive shift and star quality post match. He got a performance out of him.
It's risky, but maybe no more than others if TP isn't available. In fact, either way, I realise I'm in the NJ camp now.

Could not have put it better myself and exactly how I feel about Jones he has the club ethos / style that Tony has said he wants to maintain ingrained in him, give it to him until the end of the season.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Great result at Fulham and he made clear why. I like the cut of his jib. Promoting from within has worked with Swansea and Gary Monk, so why not here? Pulis may well look at the Premier League options that are opening up and frankly I'm not excited by Hughton who was another Sami at Norwich. NJ has made a good pitch for the job, clearly intelligent and knowledgeable, plus speaks fluent Spanish. I suspect he is a workaholic and I definitely saw signs of Oscar's style in the play against Reading. And I don't think he would be a pushover for the suits either. I see he was also tempted to have Calde alongside him for the Reading game, but for needing him more on the pitch. Calde already did more coaching from the touchline than Sami in his desperation to get the team organised. Perhaps a Player/No 2 role? I'm actually beginning to wonder if Barber is serious about NJ and, if he is, I'm beginning to warm to the idea rather than someone less committed to the club. Plus as the interviewer said to NJ post match, the players were clearly playing for him and throwing bodies in the way. We haven't had that since Adam El-Abd left. Plus in Colunga, I think we may have our new Ashley Barnes. I think he's great and the best quality player we have. But I suspect others aren't so sure. He works hard, he's feisty and talented, already had a silly sending off, takes a cracking 'make the keeper look an idiot' penalty, but seems to divide opinion.NJ commented on his hard work, defensive shift and star quality post match. He got a performance out of him.

Agree with 99% of this except Im not in the NJ camp yet. I do think he deserves two or three more games though and then decide whether we want someone more experienced. Yes, there are Gary Monks and Warburtons but there are also Bookers, Woods and Hinshes. Give hime some room and time. Brentford will be a test and won't affect our league position.

BTW am I right in thinking that the coming back from 2-0 to 2-2 against Reading is the first time we've fought back this season? If so, then that in itself speaks volumes of the difference since Sami went. I never felt we could get back into a game with Sami.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Agree with 99% of this except Im not in the NJ camp yet. I do think he deserves two or three more games though and then decide whether we want someone more experienced. Yes, there are Gary Monks and Warburtons but there are also Bookers, Woods and Hinshes. Give hime some room and time. Brentford will be a test and won't affect our league position.

BTW am I right in thinking that the coming back from 2-0 to 2-2 against Reading is the first time we've fought back this season? If so, then that in itself speaks volumes of the difference since Sami went. I never felt we could get back into a game with Sami.

Came from behind twice at home to Charlton thanks to Dunk....That was when we only had 2 at the back with Bennett and Bruno staying up front all game!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

We were 1-0 down in the Bolton game in August, but scored twice to win it.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
How hard was it to improve an Albion side previously managed by Sami? Let's get real here.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The things going for NJ are that he knows the club and the players. In two games he has managed to accrue 4 points and galvanise the team. So in my view there are a lot of positives for him and I would rather give him a chance then appoint someone who has no affiliation with the Club and has been sacked from his last two clubs (as well as being known to play a painfully insipid style of football).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So is Nathan Jones alright now then?

Can we just bear in mind in the future that it is nigh on impossible to judge the performance of an assistant manager. Most poor managers (which Hyypia undoubtedly was) just want their assistant to nod and agree. Remember that OG wanted to take Jones with him, I always thought that was an important bit of information.

Whether he's the right man for the no.1 job or not, we should be aiming to keep him involved.

Bad choice of thread title, people are already droning on.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm glad that Nathan has done so well in briefly dipping his toes in the water and I would be very welcome to him managing us in the future. Ultimately though in our situation, whilst nothing is guaranteed in football, I'd like a manager with experience and who'd be a safe pair of hands to stave off relegation.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
We were 1-0 down in the Bolton game in August, but scored twice to win it.

And there you have a hive mind... selective memory..... unfair to Sami :(

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here