Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nathan Jones..what happens now

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The boy has done very, very good getting a draw from 2-0 down against Reading and a win tonight. Better than could reasonably have been expected.

I don't expect him to get the job full-time, as I'm sure most of us don't, but he has done himself proud in these two games and he clearly loves Brighton, the club, the city, the area, everything.

And it also will stand him in very good stead for the future, because the next time this chance to have sole responsibility for preparing the team comes along (whether temporary or full-time, with us or elsewhere), he knows his methods can work.

As a club we have a tendency to want to retain backroom staff and tell new managers they must work with them. This is not always popular, and has almost certainly cost us the odd candidate over the years.

People can be funny and a new manager might look at this and not want a No2 who is very popular with the fans and has grabbed a couple of results in interim charge.

But I hope Hughton or whoever it is can look past that and find a role for him. If not, I hope he gets a good job somewhere else, because he deserves it.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
He's been an academy head and now a number 2 for a season and a half, whos also done very well in 2 games as caretaker. He's rightly ambitious. My guess is NJ will be applying for number 1 jobs at league 1 or 2 clubs. I doubt he'll be content to live in the shadows forever.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Agreed, but given he's been No.2 all season and Sami was so quiet how come some of "the Nathan magic" hasn't rubbed off already? Did Hyypia completely ignore him and everything he suggested?

He was already lucky to have got even the Assistant gig after Sammy Lee bailed out at the last minute.

Certainly Jones's passion and Hughton's organisation, professionalism and contacts could be a potent combination.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed, but given he's been No.2 all season and Sami was so quiet how come some of "the Nathan magic" hasn't rubbed off already. Did Hyypia completely ignore him and everything he suggested?

He was already lucky to have got even the Assistant gig after Sammy Lee bailed out at the last minute.

Certainly Jones's passion and Hughton's organisation, professionalism and contacts could be a potent combination.

I just think you can't really be 'yourself' and implement or say everything you'd like in that role as No2, as you have to constantly respectful of the boss. But if the boss is not very good, that can't be easy...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Some bookies were offering 20-1 on Jones less than 48 hours ago. All of a sudden the West Brom job is vacant, Newcastle tomorrow and probably Leicester at the weekend. Now even 5-1 looks generous.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think he had earned a couple more games trail. We don't need to be in that much of a hurry. Give the lad a chance, if he is not up to it we can get someone else in. Let's face only pulis on that list isn't a gamble. Giving him a rolling contract is a gamble with much of the gamble taken out.

I don't think we need players to get us out of the relegation zone we just need a manager who understands this league, who knows maybe that is jonesy.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I think he had earned a couple more games trail. We don't need to be in that much of a hurry. Give the lad a chance, if he is not up to it we can get someone else in. Let's face only pulis on that list isn't a gamble. Giving him a rolling contract is a gamble with much of the gamble taken out.

I don't think we need players to get us out of the relegation zone we just need a manager who understands this league, who knows maybe that is jonesy.

Good post :thumbsup:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Disagree totally. Don't be fooled by our results lately because this team overall is weak. We desperately need a player who can put the ball in the back of the net and another mature midfielder. Depending on how long Kaz is out i would be tempted with another winger. Especially if Bennett goes back to Norwich.
The transfer window is open soon and i would like us to name a new manager by then.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
The boy has done very, very good getting a draw from 2-0 down against Reading and a win tonight. Better than could reasonably have been expected.

I don't expect him to get the job full-time, as I'm sure most of us don't, but he has done himself proud in these two games and he clearly loves Brighton, the club, the city, the area, everything.

And it also will stand him in very good stead for the future, because the next time this chance to have sole responsibility for preparing the team comes along (whether temporary or full-time, with us or elsewhere), he knows his methods can work.

As a club we have a tendency to want to retain backroom staff and tell new managers they must work with them. This is not always popular, and has almost certainly cost us the odd candidate over the years.

People can be funny and a new manager might look at this and not want a No2 who is very popular with the fans and has grabbed a couple of results in interim charge.

But I hope Hughton or whoever it is can look past that and find a role for him. If not, I hope he gets a good job somewhere else, because he deserves it.

Well said and Nathan should be proud of what he has achieved to date. Well done that man.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
give him the job for the season, he'll keep us up no problem and meantime we can see if he's got the minerals for the long haul. Again, stop panicking everyone.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Disagree totally. Don't be fooled by our results lately because this team overall is weak. We desperately need a player who can put the ball in the back of the net and another mature midfielder. Depending on how long Kaz is out i would be tempted with another winger. Especially if Bennett goes back to Norwich.
The transfer window is open soon and i would like us to name a new manager by then.

I agree to a point but that striker we need is near mythical in January (alright we got Ulloa in January). I am just not sure that whoever our manager is is going to make much difference on who and when our saviour is unveiled. I would hope that the recruitment team are on this already and will have someone in place for who ever our Head Coach ends up being. Don't get me wrong I would rather that me had a traditional manager who finds and arranges the signings but we are not set up like that. Given the way the club is set up I am not sure that having the head coach in place for the transfer window is as vital as if it were a manager we were looking for. Preferable obviously but not vital.

Give the bloke a chance I say he seems (so far) to be getting things right.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Both Fulham and Leeds put in relatively inexperienced internal fellas who got off to flyers, but it seems both have had their bubbles burst.

Well done to NJ but hope we don't take the easy option

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I think Nathan has done a fantastic job in the last two games, I also think he can be a very good future manager however would he attract the players to the club in the same way Gus could?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Strikers can only put the ball in the back of the net if they are given the service. With CMS, Baldock, COG ( who was superb last night ) and Colunga, we have enough upfront. It is the creativity behind them that is lacking. We need Kaz back fit and with him and Solly playing wide, that should create options. Personally, I'd like to see Paddy playing in the hole just behind the front men and probing for openings. If the manager isn't going to do this, then we have to go out and buy that creative midfielder.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Two point average per game as opposed to Hyypia's less than one per game, though over too short a period to be accurate, suggests he can't do much more. However we are approaching a key part of the season, the January window. With no David Burke it is the recruitment side that I think NJ would struggle with (remember it was Jones who many said recommended Obika based on his time at Yeovil) and we really need to new man to be working with 'his' squad (ideally like for like replacement for Bent, retaining Halford and getting someone more creative and energetic in to replace Gardner all chosen by the new boss).

For me it's still Hughton assisted by Jones. I very much want Nathan to stay with the club - but not as number one.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Outstanding interview as well as four points - has gone very well for him and us!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
With no David Burke it is the recruitment side that I think NJ would struggle with (remember it was Jones who many said recommended Obika based on his time at Yeovil)

Find me a manager that HASN'T signed a duff... The Obika thing is pretty poor reason to keep wheeling out. Especially as he is scoring in League One

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here