What do you think the reasons are?

Ticket prices?
all seaters?
working class being priced out?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Seating.

You wouldn't do a speech sitting down as your diaphragm is limited, when chanting, you're using the diaphragm. That's why standing away fans are louder, it's purely because of the ability to chant.

Our atmosphere is due to a number of factors. I attended the reading game, my first since we last played them in January. The evident problems were incoherent chanting from the police box crew. I could hear chants I've never heard before, especially the one I associate with Everton. I had no idea what the lyrics were, but the PBC would start chanting one after the east side of the North were chanting more traditional chants. With this problem, no one knows the lyrics so they don't join in. Keep in mind, I sat in the south.

You could hear something, just couldn't tell what. It is widely noted there's a ridiculous rivalry within the North stand, which is precisely why our atmosphere is rubbish. The middle section as far as I could tell, weren't very loud, it's the fringes of the stands. Until they amalgamate and learn each other's chants, our home atmosphere will always be rubbish. And I cannot see it working, because people are also hating on the chants that are being used.

Basically. Brighton fans are a bunch of whingers, nothing will get sorted because of this.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The atmosphere at football grounds seems to be dying

What do you think the reasons are?

Ticket prices?
all seaters?
working class being priced out?

All of the above.

Also sitting in allocated seating rather than standing with friends, or other fans that like a good sing and shout.

Tourists at stadiums with IPads

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Seating.

You wouldn't do a speech sitting down as your diaphragm is limited, when chanting, you're using the diaphragm. That's why standing away fans are louder, it's purely because of the ability to chant.

Our atmosphere is due to a number of factors. I attended the reading game, my first since we last played them in January. The evident problems were incoherent chanting from the police box crew. I could hear chants I've never heard before, especially the one I associate with Everton. I had no idea what the lyrics were, but the PBC would start chanting one after the east side of the North were chanting more traditional chants. With this problem, no one knows the lyrics so they don't join in. Keep in mind, I sat in the south.

You could hear something, just couldn't tell what. It is widely noted there's a ridiculous rivalry within the North stand, which is precisely why our atmosphere is rubbish. The middle section as far as I could tell, weren't very loud, it's the fringes of the stands. Until they amalgamate and learn each other's chants, our home atmosphere will always be rubbish. And I cannot see it working, because people are also hating on the chants that are being used.

Basically. Brighton fans are a bunch of whingers, nothing will get sorted because of this.

The North Stand split is basically the crux of it.

I can't see wholesale moving of fans from their seats is going to be a realistic or fair option. There just needs to be some sort of acknowledgement or dialogue between the two groups.

That said, I do get the impression that the police box group seem to delight in being their own small clique.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
tourists...grannies and grandpas ... non albion fans......mums and kids ...!!

should be a family and pensioners area and 2 main singing sections sorted out at season ticket time..!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe its partly an age thing. For me, football highs don't seem so high anymore and football lows don't seem so low. Hard to get very worked up about football either way anymore. Life goes on. Meh :shrug:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The North Stand split is basically the crux of it.

I can't see wholesale moving of fans from their seats is going to be a realistic or fair option. There just needs to be some sort of acknowledgement or dialogue between the two groups.

That said, I do get the impression that the police box group seem to delight in being their own small clique.

What about the WSU?
That was rocking in the 1st season or was it a case of look at us up here in what was deemed the best seats at the time.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
All three - and probably more!

TBH I never gave the ticket prices too much thought during the Gus / Oscar days; the team were doing just fine and I was having fun. What we have now is a totally crap product. Would you fly Ryanair to Dublin if they charged you £500 for the ticket?

Atmosphere (certainly in the North) is poor; partly due to totally OTT stewarding in the first season and subsequent incidents (eg the Judge getting slung out for no apparent reason).

Safe standing is the answer to improving the atmosphere; lost count of the number of times that Barber has been told this but he still refuses to listen. A CEO charghing top price for a crap product who refuses to listen to the views of his "customers" is not deserving of the role...and certainly not deserving of upwards of half a million quid a year.

And let's see the return of pre-match & half time entertainment. You know, the entertainment that Barber promised when he binned Gully's Girls.

We've had two out of three. Let's see TB save a few more quid and bin that useless idiot Barber too for a festive hat-trick.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Seats period...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What about the WSU?
That was rocking in the 1st season or was it a case of look at us up here in what was deemed the best seats at the time.

Doubtless not much more than a case of new stadium euphoria. WSU is now about as moribund as the old West stand at the Goldstone used to be. 'Rocking' it certainly ain't. Pretty pitiful that the whole of the home support in the stadium now appears to be looking to the 2K punters in the North Stand to provide the remainder with some kind of old skool singing frenzy. Probably so they can film it on their phones.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Maybe its partly an age thing. For me, football highs don't seem so high anymore and football lows don't seem so low. Hard to get very worked up about football either way anymore. Life goes on. Meh :shrug:

In old money perhaps you would be edging towards the West stand seats at the Goldstone? to be heard on maybe 5 occasions per season....it's true though,having stood on terraces as a youngster,to try and re create that in seats of today is harder..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In old money perhaps you would be edging towards the West stand seats at the Goldstone? to be heard on maybe 5 occasions per season....it's true though,having stood on terraces as a youngster,to try and re create that in seats of today is harder..

Only ever sat in the West Stand at the Goldstone once, because the girl I was with insisted on a seat. Hated it with a vengeance. Might as well have been a mural.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
the problem with the north stand is you cant hear either side from the other.

I sit north east side of the stand and from where i sit/stand i cant hear the PBC. On the occasions i have moved to that side to sit with friends i then cant hear my usual side.

both sides sing and chant but unles the middle of the stand join in the two sets of singers cant hear each other and therefore dont sing the same song.

The Reading match was the first time i heard the middle pipe up and when they did the PBC changed what they were singing to join in with the other singers.

i think the north stand can sing as a whole but the middle area needs to be the main singers/chant starters and hopefully everyone will join in with them

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Make the north stand safe standing and either pay on the day or tickets that can be purchased up to 2 hours before the game.
Except for a handful of matches it would be perfectly safe to make it POTD.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd throw into the mix:

1. The public's passion for football being sated by wall-to-wall coverage on TV. Half the people on the concourses have already watched 45mins of Prem football before we even kick off so are already in "armchair mode".
2. A lack of songs caused by teams with too many loan players, or players not hanging around long enough to establish themselves in the affections of the fans.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Only ever sat in the West Stand at the Goldstone once, because the girl I was with insisted on a seat. Hated it with a vengeance. Might as well have been a mural.

Ha,well i never sat there,however i migrated from the North to the South West terrace on occasion....

SAC

May 21, 2014
An atmosphere is created by people wanting there to be one. It seems that for most people they will only sing when they are enjoying the football they are watching, if this is the case it will only improve when results improve.

Next season could be much better as the returning fans and 2nd teamers are probably not going to renew and the results are going to be better.

I'd make the north stand unreserved seating to try and recreate the away day atmosphere. This will only work though if people do want to join in, you can't force them.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Basically the North should be pay on the day,no under 14s or over 65s and no women,swearing shouting and standing permitted and then the atmosphere will follow......ok maybe a few women..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here