Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fernando Torres

Seaford Seagull

BHAFC 'til I die
Mar 4, 2005
Sussex (By the sea)
I'm finding this a bit strange:
AC Milan sign Torres from Chelsea on a 2 year loan.
4 months later they announce that they'll sign him permanently in January.
Before January even arrives they announce he is joining Athletico Madrid on loan until 2016.

Is this just ducking FFP? What motive to AC have to do this for Athletico?

Maybe I'm missing something...

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Chelsea were still paying most of his wages. This way they get him off the books completely. Milan obviously are the winners because they get him for free and now can loan him out and make a few quid from him. Shocking player anyway. To think a few years ago he was 1 of the best strikers in the world.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I'm finding this a bit strange:
AC Milan sign Torres from Chelsea on a 2 year loan.
4 months later they announce that they'll sign him permanently in January.
Before January even arrives they announce he is joining Athletico Madrid on loan until 2016.

Is this just ducking FFP? What motive to AC have to do this for Athletico?

Maybe I'm missing something...
if they don't want him, even on a free why bother and presumably they'd still be stuck with most of his wage bill

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Chelsea were still paying most of his wages. This way they get him off the books completely. Milan obviously are the winners because they get him for free and now can loan him out and make a few quid from him. Shocking player anyway. To think a few years ago he was 1 of the best strikers in the world.
How do Milan make money on him?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My understanding is that Athletico are sending AC Milan a player, maybe they are only doing this on the basis of getting Torres, but they cannot afford his wages so AC Milan are just facilitating this, maybe AC Milan still want Torres and think that a period at Athletico will rejuvenate him. But it does seem mad, I had to read the article twice myself.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
My understanding is that Athletico are sending AC Milan a player, maybe they are only doing this on the basis of getting Torres, but they cannot afford his wages so AC Milan are just facilitating this, maybe AC Milan still want Torres and think that a period at Athletico will rejuvenate him. But it does seem mad, I had to read the article twice myself.

Athletico want Torres but need to move someone off the books to be able to afford him, lucky enough AC want an Italian youngster they have who will leave a nice Torres sized wage gap.

everyone is happy

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Athletico want Torres but need to move someone off the books to be able to afford him, lucky enough AC want an Italian youngster they have who will leave a nice Torres sized wage gap.

everyone is happy
Hmm but how long will Atletico be happy for?

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Hmm but how long will Atletico be happy for?

the worst he will do is shift a ton of shirts as he is a god there

from what I can tell, AC Milan will get Alessio Cerci as part of the deal from Atletico, who is meant to be a very good Italian midfielder, (who was cracking for Torino last season, but hasn't really played in Spain since he moved)

So at a guess - Chelsea want his wags gone. AC Milan take him on a free to be able to swap him with Atletico for Cerci on loan deals (as I don't think you can exchange loanees) - I wouldnt be surprised if the loan until 2016 is essentially the end of his contract at Milan anyway

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's quite a simple deal but in a mangled manner.

AC Milan have turned the Torres loan deal into a permanent one. They now hold his contract.
They wanted to bring Cerci from Atletico back to Italy so they have agreed a loan swap deal with Torres going back to Spain (where he wanted to go anyway).

Everyone is a winner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here