Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selling old digital devices

Am trying to persuade the younger Pottings that they really don't need their Nintendo DS and games anymore as I can't recall the last time I saw them in use. Still working on their iPods and trying to persuade that their phones will do much the same thing.

Based on personal experiences which are the best of the several "on line" sites for price and service to hopefully offload these? Have used Music Magpie previously for CD selling but note that "other sites are available".

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
We must have loads of these Gameboys, DS's PSP's first couple of Xbox's & PS1 & PS2 pS3 ( just got one of them a PS4 so know the 3 is now redundant) etc having 3 kids all grown up now as the old one is replaced the older version gets chucked into the loft. Along with the Blackberrys and iphone's/ ipods is there any value to all the old stuff?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
There are retro video game shops popping up; if you're dead set on getting rid, if you were to approach these people first, at least the consoles etc would end up in the hands of dedicated geeky types (I've got my eye on a Sega Megadrive from the retro shop near Streatham, if only to replay the old NHL 91/2 games...).

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Ebay is your best bit. It's free to list at the moment and you only pay when the item is sold. I would sell everything separately.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Unless you really want the bit of cash, I'd say only get rid of the crap stuff that would never be played again and box the rest away somewhere, just for nostalgia value in a few years like.

I found my old Spyro Gateway to Glimmer disc the other day, hadn't played it since I was about 6 on PS1. And **** me what a game. Mind you, I doubt most games produced from sort of end of PS2 era onwards will quite capture the same retro/magical endearing vibe 15 years down the line sadly, simply too many games, too well made and too realistic now- which is by no means a bad thing.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There are retro video game shops popping up; if you're dead set on getting rid, if you were to approach these people first, at least the consoles etc would end up in the hands of dedicated geeky types (I've got my eye on a Sega Megadrive from the retro shop near Streatham, if only to replay the old NHL 91/2 games...).

Loved the staged punch ups you could instigate in NHL on the mega drive with a dodgy tackle. Still got mine in a cupboard somewhere......

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Our kids' stuff gets traded in at Game. Quick, easy way of converting stuff into a gift card, or slightly less for cash I think.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Am trying to persuade the younger Pottings that they really don't need their Nintendo DS and games anymore as I can't recall the last time I saw them in use. Still working on their iPods and trying to persuade that their phones will do much the same thing.

Based on personal experiences which are the best of the several "on line" sites for price and service to hopefully offload these? Have used Music Magpie previously for CD selling but note that "other sites are available".

CEX always seem to offer a fair price. There is one on Western Road just up from Waitrose, or you can trade with them online. If they want to trade for other stuff they will give you a CEX voucher that is worth more than the cash value of your item. https://uk.webuy.com

I actually bought Minecraft for the Xbox 360 online new, traded in it with CEX and actually got more back than I paid for it!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
DO NOT trade in consoles at shops. Game, CEX, gamestar, etc., give an awful trade in return! For example, they're currently buying PS4's for only 175. That's daylight robbery! I'm shocked why so many people mug themselves off like this. I've seen people trade in games worth £10-15 for just a few quid, but they usually trade in multiple games so they think the £20 they're getting for 8 games is a good deal... It's not! If you're more patient, you'll get a lot more if you sell individually.
BUT... The demand for older consoles is reasonably low, so you've got to sell on large sites like eBay.

Older consoles don't have much value. They depreciate more than cars! You'll be lucky to get £20 for a standard DS these days, but check the module as some go for £50 still (limited conditions and some 'Lite' versions). I recommend checking prices on eBay before listing items. Some older DS games still have a lot of their original face value however, which still shocks ME! Most pokemon and Mario games (especially Mario Kart + 64 DS) are more than the actual console itself :0 Good luck selling!

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
DO NOT trade in consoles at shops. Game, CEX, gamestar, etc., give an awful trade in return! For example, they're currently buying PS4's for only 175. That's daylight robbery! I'm shocked why so many people mug themselves off like this. I've seen people trade in games worth £10-15 for just a few quid, but they usually trade in multiple games so they think the £20 they're getting for 8 games is a good deal... It's not! If you're more patient, you'll get a lot more if you sell individually.
BUT... The demand for older consoles is reasonably low, so you've got to sell on large sites like eBay.

Older consoles don't have much value. They depreciate more than cars! You'll be lucky to get £20 for a standard DS these days, but check the module as some go for £50 still (limited conditions and some 'Lite' versions). I recommend checking prices on eBay before listing items. Some older DS games still have a lot of their original face value however, which still shocks ME! Most pokemon and Mario games (especially Mario Kart + 64 DS) are more than the actual console itself :0 Good luck selling!

Actually would disagree for consoles. Took my sons DSLite into Replay on Western Road and got about £70. Given he wasn't using it think this was worth it for a guaranteed price. Can get very unlucky on Ebay if a few others selling around same time.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Loved the staged punch ups you could instigate in NHL on the mega drive with a dodgy tackle. Still got mine in a cupboard somewhere......

You lucky so and so. I sold mine for about £30 in 1993. Makes me cross just thinking about that. The fights (always ending with one player down on the ice, blood seeping, leg twitching?!) were genius.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here