Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Council suppliers could be paid in Bristol pounds

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A survey to find out if businesses in Bristol are willing to be paid in a local currency for supplying services to the council has been completed.

The council, Bristol Credit Union and the Bristol Pound found there was a "great appetite" for the scheme but said there was "still work to be done".

The survey had 236 responses - with 20% interested in being paid, or part-paid, in Bristol pounds by the council.

The currency, which is on a par with sterling, was introduced in 2012.

The survey was sent out online and via social media, in October, to "gauge interest" from the city's local business community in the Bristol Pound.

'Growing interest'
Of those who replied, 11% were already Bristol Pound members, and 30% without accounts said they would consider becoming members.

Jason Thorne, from Bristol City Council, said the survey "demonstrated a growing interest" from local businesses in the Bristol Pound.

The Bristol Pound is a complementary currency which works alongside sterling and does not replace it
How the currency works:

• 1:1 exchange with sterling

• £1, £5, £10, £20 notes

• Run by Bristol Credit Union

• Payments in cash or online

• Funds guaranteed by the Financial Services Authority

How about the Sussex pound? ???

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Please could someone explain exactly what the point of it is - if one Bristol pound =£sterling why go to all the expense and bother?

So people know if you an insider or an outsider, who then treat you differently on what money you use!

:moo:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Please could someone explain exactly what the point of it is - if one Bristol pound =£sterling why go to all the expense and bother?

I imagine the theory behind it is that money remains and is spent within the local area, supporting local businesses employing local people, rather than disappearing into Amazon/Starbucks/Apple/Google Irish/Luxembourg tax dodging, I mean tax minimising accounts. Good idea I would have thought, money raised locally gets spent locally

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
pink pound?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I imagine the theory behind it is that money remains and is spent within the local area, supporting local businesses employing local people, rather than disappearing into Amazon/Starbucks/Apple/Google Irish/Luxembourg tax dodging, I mean tax minimising accounts. Good idea I would have thought, money raised locally gets spent locally

This is correct. Many of the new local currencies such as the Lewes pound are connected with the Transition movement.
http://www.transitionnetwork.org
http://www.thelewespound.org

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here