Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Use Of Red And Yellow Cards

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Been visiting a friend in Birmingham today and saw the Villa v Sunderland game.

Delph was shown a straight red card for a foul early in the second half, although we really expected a yellow.

It got me wondering when it was that referees actually went through a period of not showing cards and leaving the crowd in suspense of the decision. (80s/90s)

Can anyone remember when this was ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Google search shows they were first used in the 1970 world cup and the first red issued in the FL in 1976 but their use was suspended for 6 years in 1981 because refs were giving them too freely, what about now?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
What I find hardest to justify is that a second half foul invariably results in a card where an identical foul in the first half doesn't merit even a gentle ticking off. See it week in and week out at all levels

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What I find hardest to justify is that a second half foul invariably results in a card where an identical foul in the first half doesn't merit even a gentle ticking off. See it week in and week out at all levels

These cautions are sometimes the result of persistent fouling, or more likely the ticking off is often like a 'verbal warning'.

However, a dirty foul in the first minute is still a dirty foul and shouls result in a caution.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Add to that the fact that you can do all sorts of fouls in the box before a free kick or corner is taken with impunity.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Also many tugs and pushes that are penalised in the centre circle but not in the penalty box I remember going to an away cup tie at Lincoln and we conceded 2 penalties and in the post match interview Keith Alexander their manager admitted he went to see the ref before the game to ask him to watch out for shirt pulling in our box. It worked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here