Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off topic - Central Heating

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Just wondered what temperature other folks had their central heating system on at the moment? We have ours on 18c and all the rads are hot but the house still feels chilly. Should I be turning the thermostat up higher or putting on an extra jumper? I thought 18c was about the norm for a central heating system at this time of the year? Perhaps I'm just being a tight wad?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
18c where your stat is. Doesn't mean it's 18c everywhere. Turn it up Scrooge.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
mine is on about 24c

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

article-2310108-194206A9000005DC-71_634x363.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We set ours at 19 with no timer to come on whenever it drops below that but when sitting around watching tv turn it up to 21 or we both put our onesie on. Problem solved. £15 on ebay is cheaper than increased heating bills.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We have ours on 18c and all the rads are hot but the house still feels chilly. Should I be turning the thermostat up higher or putting on an extra jumper?
If the rads are hot, the heating is on and not reaching 18c, so turning the thermostat up won't make any difference. You may have drafts in the house - locate and eliminate.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We set ours at 19 with no timer to come on whenever it drops below that but when sitting around watching tv turn it up to 21 or we both put our onesie on. Problem solved. £15 on ebay is cheaper than increased heating bills.

I can just see you in a tiger skin onesie BG..................Greeeeeerrrrrr

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Our thermostat is on 20c but the manual says the temperature put out by the central heating system is 2c less so in effect it is 18c. If it feels a bit nippy I put on a jumper.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Our thermostat is on 20c but the manual says the temperature put out by the central heating system is 2c less so in effect it is 18c.
"the temperature put out by the central heating system" Eh? The thermostat simply tells the hearing system whether the desired room temperature has been reached or not. It seems your manual says that your thermostat isn't very accurate.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Exciting thread of the year goes to......

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
24c !!! Ours is set at 15 , goes up to 18c when chilly like this evening.
Maybe it's because I work outside or just plain fat that 20c up makes me feel sick.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Mines whacked up to 30 as downstairs suffers from chill, bedrooms are nice and toastie thouht! I pay the same amount each month anyway even throughout the summer so I've already paid for it. Might turn it up to max just because I can 😀

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"the temperature put out by the central heating system" Eh? The thermostat simply tells the hearing system whether the desired room temperature has been reached or not. It seems your manual says that your thermostat isn't very accurate.

The thermostat is in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs instead of the lounge. A 50 inch plasma TV in the lounge acts as another radiator when it is on.

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
20 but there are so many other factors to consider. Our thermostat is near the front door, so possibly the draughtiest place in the house. All the radiators have thermostatic valves and the one near the thermostat is set to the lowest setting.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Last year we lived in a converted flat (old victorian style with sash windows). There we had the heating on 25/26 every day and were still freezing due to the single glazing and drafts. Now we have moved to a nice 10 year old house we have it on 17.5 degrees and its baking. Plus my gas account is now £356 in credit!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here