Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet says "the holiday fixtures are a disgrace". No Poyet - you are the disgrace

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Poyet says "the holiday fixtures are a disgrace". No Poyet - you are the disgrace

I like Gus. Honestly.

However, this latest outburst again shows him at his worst. I am pretty sure that any manager who comes out with tosh like that the day before a fixture is setting his team up to fail.

Aston Villa will beat Sunderland this afternoon and Gus, and his players, will blame it on the fixtures. Its a self fulfilling prophecy.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
he left us ages ago
please get over it

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just like the tw@t at utd. If you don't like the way we run our football f@@k off

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I like Gus. Honestly.

However, this latest outburst again shows him at his worst. I am pretty sure that any manager who comes out with tosh like that the day before a fixture is setting his team up to fail.

Aston Villa will beat Sunderland this afternoon and Gus, and his players, will blame it on the fixtures. Its a self fulfilling prophecy.
Predicting a Sunderland loss? Hey that's MY job!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The fixtures are set out at the start, all teams have the same/very similar schedule. I agree, if you don't like it then TAXIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I like Gus. Honestly.

You really should post more:moo:

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Get sick of the Gus bashing on here. He left over a season ago now and people forget what he done for the football club. Yes, he is passionate, but isn't that why we loved him when he was down here. If he had got us relegated, yes hate him, but any man that turns us from struggling in League 1 to a top Championship team doesn't deserve this much hatred from so many fans.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Would have him back in a heartbeat.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
he left us ages ago
please get over it
He left us relatively recently, having done a fantastic job but the marriage became untenable due to him saying we were not good enough and him flirting with what he thought were better models. Yes he might still become a major player in the management game or he might become just one of those journey men who eventually struggle to find work. Apart from that, 'free speech'.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Personally I don't care if it is Gus or any other manager, but when they come out with the old "oh boo hoo we have to play 2 games in 4 days" rubbish, it winds me up no end. These players are professional sportsmen, and allegedly elite athletes. If they aren't capable of playing 2 games of football in 4 days or whatever it is, then they probably shouldn't be professional soccerists.

Last edited:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
he left us ages ago
please get over it

Maybe so, but when any ex manager or player blurts out a load of bullshit , its of interest and newsworthy surely? Especially when its somebody who left under a cloud and is legendary for petulant outbursts.

Gus is really talking out his arse on this one. It wasn't so many years ago when teams played three games in four days over the easter period plus at least one more than they do these days over Christmas.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Personally I don't care if it Gus or any other manager, but when they come out with the old "oh boo hoo we have to play 2 games in 4 days" rubbish, it winds me up no end. These players are professional sportsmen, and allegedly elite athletes. If they aren't capable of playing 2 games of football in 4 days or whatever it is, then they probably shouldn't be professional soccerists.
I've got a funny feeling the word 'soccerists' could take off!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The 2nd half of the Tottenham-Manchester United match today was not a great advert for playing 2 matches within 48 hours. Naturally though, Gus is trying to deflect attention away from a rather dismal home defeat in Sunderland's last match.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Personally I don't care if it Gus or any other manager, but when they come out with the old "oh boo hoo we have to play 2 games in 4 days" rubbish, it winds me up no end. These players are professional sportsmen, and allegedly elite athletes. If they aren't capable of playing 2 games of football in 4 days or whatever it is, then they probably shouldn't be professional soccerists.

They are not playing 2 games in 4 days. They are playing 2 games within 48 hours. Yes it can be done, as it happens in non-league all the time due to postponements, but it is usually the quality of the match that suffers.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
having done a fantastic job but the marriage became untenable due to him saying we were not good enough and him flirting with what he thought were better models.

The gaping great highway that can be driven though that argument is that he actually has turned out to be right.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They are not playing 2 games in 4 days. They are playing 2 games within 48 hours. Yes it can be done, as it happens in non-league all the time due to postponements, but it is usually the quality of the match that suffers.

Crap.

These are supposedly athletes. The way they whinge really gets to me.

Years ago the games didn't suffer.
If tennis players took the same stance Wimbledon would last 6 weeks.

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Complaining about the holiday fixtures is hardly new (whether it be the number of games, or the distances expected to be covered in the short period, or just somehow setting them up as an excuse for potential failures), from Gus or any number of managers/players. Given the anger shown at what are increasingly common complaints over the last 10 years or so, your words of liking gus ring hollow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ble-Christmas-schedule-favours-big-clubs.html (Koeman)
http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p...aal-latest-to-criticise-festive-fixtures.html (Van Gaal)
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...avelling-700-miles-in-three-days-9030101.html (Walters)
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...helsea-christmas-fixtures-more-difficult-than (Mourinho)
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pike-stays-positive-after-derby-loss-1-6492450 (Pike - It's not just the top professional having issue with it, non-league teams have complainers, too!)
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/4817600.Poyet_bemoans_fixture_schedule/ (Poyet 2009).

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The 2nd half of the Tottenham-Manchester United match today was not a great advert for playing 2 matches within 48 hours. Naturally though, Gus is trying to deflect attention away from a rather dismal home defeat in Sunderland's last match.

you trying to say the precious petals were tired.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here