Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Xmas TV Specials - The Verdicts

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have spent a lot of time watching tv this year for one reason or another. I am wondering what the verdicts were on the BIG tv events ?

Mrs Brown's Boys - this was pretty amusing in all fairness, I know a lot of people don't like it but compared to Miranda it was a work of genius 8.2
Miranda - absolutely dog poo, puerile and pathetic 1.2
Eastenders - great acting and a strong storyline but this storyline on xmas day ? Even Danny Dyer acted his socks off and that was a xmas miracle in itself 6.4
Not going out part 1 - I like this, it was so so though but still very watchable 6.6
Professor Branestawm -Harry Hill on top form, it was a superb one off piece, the best thing on tv this xmas 8.7
Dr Who - did not watch
Any others ?

I hope you all had a great Xmas and 2015 brings lots of joy

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Was there a Derek Xmas special Hiney ? I missed that

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oh yeah

James May firing Action Man into space was good, better than most of the specials, 7.2

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was so soo sooo disappointed at Miranda. Normally l adore her, saw her at the Brighton Centre this year, love her tv series, and everything else that she does.

But on Christmas Day, my God she was awful.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Not seen any telly this Christmas except Dr Who which I thought was shite as the whole of the last series has been

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Overall pretty poor I thought, Dr. Pooh , average. Did not see all of Eastenders so can't comment but usually a male character has a crap time, it's usually Ian Beale/ Alfie Moon/ Billy Mitchell in rotation so nice to hear Danny Dyer got the gig this year for a change. Had to sit through the very long Downton Abbey this year and still waiting for something to happen. Missed Branestawm,Mrs Browns Boys and all the others but managed to catch a few films. I even saw the first Hunger Games last night for the first time and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. so, fairly dismal over all.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very much enjoyed Professor Branestawm - I loved the books as a kid and Harry Hill was the perfect choice for the part.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Doctor Who - 8.5, best Christmas Special for years if not the best they've done.
Not Going Out - 7, have always loved this show and while the finale was mainly satisfying, considering the length of time this has been building up I thought the resolution was a bit easy.
Miranda - 3, very ropey. Staggering that she took nearly two years to come up with such a poorly scripted episode.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I was so soo sooo disappointed at Miranda. Normally l adore her, saw her at the Brighton Centre this year, love her tv series, and everything else that she does.

But on Christmas Day, my God she was awful.

It was honestly a bit like the BHA v Reading game. The first half was diabolical, really diabolical, but the second half found a bit of form. The most entertaining thing about it was the actress who plays Stevie's plastic surgery/botox work. She looked very strange.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have spent a lot of time watching tv this year for one reason or another. I am wondering what the verdicts were on the BIG tv events ?

Mrs Brown's Boys - this was pretty amusing in all fairness, I know a lot of people don't like it but compared to Miranda it was a work of genius 8.2
Miranda - absolutely dog poo, puerile and pathetic 1.2
Eastenders - great acting and a strong storyline but this storyline on xmas day ? Even Danny Dyer acted his socks off and that was a xmas miracle in itself 6.4
Not going out part 1 - I like this, it was so so though but still very watchable 6.6
Professor Branestawm -Harry Hill on top form, it was a superb one off piece, the best thing on tv this xmas 8.7
Dr Who - did not watch
Any others ?

I hope you all had a great Xmas and 2015 brings lots of joy

very good .....but did they relise it was on (the same episode) two nights running 2.1

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It was honestly a bit like the BHA v Reading game. The first half was diabolical, really diabolical, but the second half found a bit of form. The most entertaining thing about it was the actress who plays Stevie's plastic surgery/botox work. She looked very strange.

Sarah Hadland, yes she's gorgeous, but then l think the whole cast of the series is terrific, Patricia Hodge who plays Miranda's mum, Tom Ellis who plays her love interest Gary, and Sally Phillips who plays her upper class friend Tilly.

Terrific until the penultimate episode that is, Shame.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not exactly Christmas Special but there's an interesting Bermuda Triangle programme on BBC4, now.

It might be worth checking out on I-player, if that kind of thing floats your boat (so to speak).

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Radio Four has been good this last few days. Why do people expect so much of Christmas TV, when it has consistently failed to deliver for YEARS?

Well, maybe....I was profoundly and utterly disappointed by The Skool Days of Nigel Molesworth; as I've loved the books for about 45 years now. :-(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here