Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will it always be the Amex from now on?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Stadium sponsorship deals come and go. Huddersfield's McAlpine Stadium later became the Galpharm and is now the John Smith's. With the Baseball Ground history, Derby County's Pride Park Stadium has since become the iPro, Leicester City's Walkers Stadium is now the King Power, Bournemouth's Dean Court the Goldsands, Peterborough's London Road the Abax (!) And so on...

For years, our own stadium project was always known simply as Falmer. But the Amex identity, now in its fourth year, seems to have stuck firmly. But no sponsorship deal lasts forever; can any new sponsors expect their name to have the same resonance?

More to the point, will you still be calling the Albion's home the Amex regardless of any future sponsorship change?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Stadium sponsorship deals come and go. Huddersfield's McAlpine Stadium later became the Galpharm and is now the John Smith's. With the Baseball Ground history, Derby County's Pride Park Stadium has since become the iPro, Leicester City's Walkers Stadium is now the King Power, Bournemouth's Dean Court the Goldsands, Peterborough's London Road the Abax (!) And so on...

For years, our own stadium project was always known simply as Falmer. But the Amex identity, now in its fourth year, seems to have stuck firmly. But no sponsorship deal lasts forever; can any new sponsors expect their name to have the same resonance?

More to the point, will you still be calling the Albion's home the Amex regardless of any future sponsorship change?

Next season it will be the THE GRUBBS or UNCLE SAMS

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield is the worst example of stadium name changing. Also haven't Leicester had at least one name change? That's what's wrong with stadium sponsorship.

As fans we should rebel against the sponsorship crap (although, of course the cash is nice for the club) and stick with a name unconnected to sponsors. Personally I would prefer to call it the Falmer stadium. " We want Falmer, we need Falmer ...."

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
We, the fans, called it Falmer for 14 years.

No issue with it being 'The Amex' in the media etc but it will always be 'Falmer' to me.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
That's brilliant? - named after the village who didn't want us there and opposed us all the way?
For me it's the Amex (til the sponsor changes). Can't bear calling it Falmer!
This.

Although it has stuck for me now, and I'll probably still be calling it the Amex long after the name changes.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I always assumed - turns out i'm wrong - that 'new' stadiums always got built with an underlying permanent name with sponsor added on top as and when applicable e.g. the Falmer Stadium being The Amex for the duration of that deal reverting back to the Falmer Stadium at the end of it.

I think this started with me thinking The Emirates was actually 'Ashburton Grove' when that deal runs out.

I reckon this system would make sense and if the FA would like to contact me, I'll sign the idea over to them for 100GBP

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Amex (the company) will probably keep the naming rights on, the amount of PR they get from it is worth it, especially as it is known (to most anyway) as the Amex.

This is an example of naming rights working, along with Arsenal's Emirates Stadium. Peterborough renaming London Road the "Abax Stadium" and Derby renaming Pride Park the "Ipro Stadium" - it just doesnt sound right after being known by its traditional name for so long. Its different with a new ground (in the case of us and Arsenal) as it hasnt really got any identity yet.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
"Highbury" had much more of an identity than "The Emirates".
"The Goldstone" will always be thought of affectionately.
I could never see Old Trafford or Anfield selling out.

I hate to say that Manchester United have got something right. But I can't help admiring the fact that they have always played at and will always play at a stadium known throughout the world as Old Trafford.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I hate to say that Manchester United have got something right. But I can't help admiring the fact that they have always played at and will always play at a stadium known throughout the world as Old Trafford.

Far easier not to sell out when you have their sort of fan base and revenue streams

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here