Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AirAsia loses contact with flight from Indonesia to Singapore - Breaking News

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Tragic news for everyone involved, including familes who are unsure about the wel-fare of there loved ones on that flight

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Are you joking? I just got this ad this morning for Air Asia. I thought at least it's not Malaysia Airlines.

2014skin-aag-declastcall_en-us.png

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
AirAsia flight QZ8501 'requested alternative route'

An AirAsia flight travelling from Indonesia to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control with 162 people on board.

The aircraft was on the submitted flight plan route and was requesting deviation due to enroute weather before communication with the aircraft was lost while it was still under the control of the Indonesian Air Traffic Control

Last edited:

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
i know nothing about planes but the thing that alarmed me the most in the statement released was that the plane had undergone its last maintenance 6 weeks ago?!

i know nothing about planes but the thing that alarmed me the most in the statement released was that the plane had undergone its last maintenance 6 weeks ago?!

Probably the a-check. Depends on the aircraft/airline, but this is normally every 1 to 2 months.

Different checks below:

Daily check
This check travels under several common names and post-flight, maintenance pre-flight, service check, and overnight to name a few. It is the lowest scheduled check. Walk around inspection by flight crew is not normally a part of a maintenance program. A daily check is a cursory inspection of the aircraft to look for obvious damage and deterioration. It checks for "general condition and security" and reviews the aircraft log for discrepancies and corrective action. The accomplishment of the daily check requires little in the way of specific equipment, tools, or facilities.

A basic requirement is that the airplane remains airworthy. Usually, a daily check is accomplished every 24 to 60 hours of accumulated flight time. Examples of daily check items include:

• Visually inspect ta il skid shock strut pop-up indicator
• Check fluid levels
• Check general security and cleanliness of the flight deck
• Check that emergency equipment is installed

'A' check
This is the next higher level of scheduled maintenance. It is normally accomplished at a designated maintenance station in the route structure and includes the opening of access panels to check and service certain items. Some limited special tooling, servicing, and test equipment is required. The 'A' check includes the lower check, i.e. Daily check.

Examples of 'A' check items include:

• General external visual inspection of aircraft structure for evidence of damage, deformation, corrosion, missing parts
• Check crew oxygen system pressure
• Operationally check emergency lights
• Lubricate nose gear retract actuator
• Check parking brake accumulator pressure
• Perform Built-in Test Equipment (BITE) test of Flap/Slat Electronics Unit

'B' check
This is a slightly more detailed check of components and systems. Special equipment and tests may be required. It does not involve, however, detailed disassembly or removal of components.

Contemporary maintenance programs do not use the 'B' check interval. For a number of reasons, the tasks formerly defined for this interval have, for many airplanes, been distributed between the 'A' and 'C' check.

Heavy checks
The following two checks are traditionally known as heavy checks. They are normally accomplished at the main maintenance base of the airline where specialized manpower, materials, tooling, and hangar facilities are available.

'C' check: This is an extensive check of individual systems and components for serviceability and function. It requires a thorough visual inspection of specified areas, components and systems as well as operational or functional checks. It is a high-level check that involves extensive tooling, test equipment, and special skill levels. 'C' checks remove the airplane from the revenue schedule for 3 to 5 days. The 'C' check includes the lower checks, i.e. 'A,' 'B,' and Daily checks.

Examples of 'C' check items:

• Visually check flight compartment escape ropes for condition and security
• Check operation of DC bus tie control unit
• Visually check the condition of entry door seals
• Operationally check flap asymmetry system
• Pressure decay check APU fuel line shroud
• Inspect engine inlet TAI ducting for cracks
• Operationally check RAT deployment and system 'D' check: This can also be referred to as the Structural check. It includes detailed visual and other non-destructive test inspections of the aircraft structure. It is an intense inspection of the structure for evidence of corrosion, structural deformation, cracking, and other signs of deterioration or distress and involves extensive disassembly to gain access for inspection. Special equipment and techniques are used. Structural checks are man-hour and calendar-time intensive. The 'D' check includes the lower checks, i.e. 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and Daily checks. This check removes the airplane from service for 20 or more days. Examples of 'D' check items include:

• Inspect stabilizer attach bolts
• Inspect floor beams
• Detailed inspection of wing box structure

http://www.aviationpros.com/article/10388655/whats-this-a-check-c-check-stuff

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Horrible news.

Seems more than likely that it's storms bringing it down - as pointed out on BBC News, the plane's radar will only spot the closest thing to it in any direction - so very possible that after requesting to rise above one storm, it found an even worse one lying the other side.

Of course, that is pure speculation, but if the number of no shows are already being pointed at I suspect there will be all kinds of speculation around...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The statement released is by a 'Tony Fenandez'. That's not the dude from QPR is it?

The first time I flew AirAsia from Singapore to Indonesia, they welcomed me on board with an announcement that they are proud sponsors of QPR. While I was there, QPR got relegated. On the return leg, they didn't mention their link to the club at all. :)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The first time I flew AirAsia from Singapore to Indonesia, they welcomed me on board with an announcement that they are proud sponsors of QPR. While I was there, QPR got relegated. On the return leg, they didn't mention their link to the club at all. :)

Haha funnily enough the main point i recall from my flights with AirAsia were that they advertised they sponsored QPR , most on the flights couldn't care less (including me!)

Aside to this air Asia sell the best in -flight food I have ever had

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Haha funnily enough the main point i recall from my flights with AirAsia were that they advertised they sponsored QPR , most on the flights couldn't care less (including me!)

Aside to this air Asia sell the best in -flight food I have ever had

I'll be flying AirAsia from Singapore to Indonesia again in about 6 weeks. I'll let you know what they say this time. I haven't bought any of their food but they did provide the most entertaining safety announcement I've ever heard. It began, "As you know, AirAsia employs the best crews in the world. Unfortunately none of them are on this particular flight..."

News reporting that the pilot tried to climb at 6000ft per minute.Incredibly stupid. Faster than a jet would apprently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30902237

Erm, the A320 is a jet. If you look at the wings you'll see 2 big jets on there, one on each wing. As for no passenger or fighter jet would attempt to climb so fast, where do they get these idiot experts. A cessna 172, single engined piston plane, climbs at 700+ fpm. A 320 has a rate of climb of about 2000 fpm from 10,000 to 30,000. As for no fighter jet, tell that to the pilots of a F-15 which has a climb rate of approximately 50,000 fpm and when testing the F35 the F16 chasing aircraft reportedly had to use after burners to keep up. The F16 also climbs at approximately 50,000 fpm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here