Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Manager

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Gus Poyet is Uruguayan; Neil Warnock is British - simple example but I know which of the two I prefer. I really don't care what nationality the next boss is.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Normally i'm not bothered but i actually want a British manager now after the last 3 appointments.
It's a yes from me

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
It doesnt bother me either but british managers do seem to do better in getting championship teams promoted. (Thats if we can stay in this league)

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Normally i'm not bothered but i actually want a British manager now after the last 3 appointments.

Genuine question - why?

Is it a belief that a British manager will be better for our chances of surviving in the Championship, or more just a principle that four foreign managers in a row would be too many?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It doesnt bother me either but british managers do seem to do better in getting championship teams promoted. (Thats if we can stay in this league)
I know Sami was trying to break into the club, but British managers also do seem to do better at getting championship teams relegated.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Genuine question - why?

Is it a belief that a British manager will be better for our chances of surviving in the Championship, or more just a principle that four foreign managers in a row would be too many?

Why?

1) The stats heavily favor a British manager getting promoted from this league

2) More likely know this league and players

3) Time for a change

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Couldn't care less where they come from if they do well if I'm honest.

I don't buy into the statistical argument that British managers are more likely to secure promotion, as exactly the same could be said of 'achieving' relegation. Similarly, 'knowing' the league is mentioned as a desired qualification, but I don't really understand what that's meant to entail...surely every league works in the same manner (barring the ever-baffling MLS)?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why?

3) Time for a change

1) not entirely true - it's all about weighting and skewing.
2) spurious to say the least. As this league is increasingly populated by overseas players the opposite might be said to be more likely
3) difference is in the eye of the beholder - it is not race, nationality or colour that makes people different

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
1) not entirely true - it's all about weighting and skewing.
2) spurious to say the least. As this league is increasingly populated by overseas players the opposite might be said to be more likely
3) difference is in the eye of the beholder - it is not race, nationality or colour that makes people different

Stats are there for a reason.

Why the hell are you mentioning colour,race etc into this debate? Stop being an idiot.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Why?

3) Time for a change

1) the stats also heavily favour an english manager getting us relegated from this league

2) how does league knowledge help? i dont want to sound like a prick, but what does that actually mean? they know exactly how every team will set up, regardless of how often the teams change managers? has there always been a championship tactic? do championship teams always play a certain way?

3) the first 2 got us into the playoffs, 2 out of 3 isnt bad

i dont see why the nationality would be the sticking point. he needs to be a good manager, end of story

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Poyet was fantastic
Garcia was very good under difficult circumastances.

I wouldn't care WHERE they came from.....but that fact that 2 out 3 did VERY good jobs would make it even weirder to be anti foreign manager.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Did you know your 99 times more likely to be stabbed in the UK than in the US.

That's because you don't live in the US

This example should demonstrate the HUGE flaw in your stat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here