Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please TB don't even think about appointing Jones

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Reading a few things from Bloom and Barber this morning I am really worried they might end up plumping for Jones. I'm worried it might become the easy option after other managers might not be the exact person they want them to be (Ie. slightly more money, they want more control over which players they sign or they just want a few things their own way). Please don't even consider it Tony. My faith is being restored after SH and Burke have gone and appointing NJ would be a big step backwards. He would be the ultimate yes man and cheap option that many of us have come to despise.

Please move quickly and decisively to appoint a new manager with experience. It is the most important appointment you make and we need to move quickly what with typical Palace potentially throwing a spanner in the works. Sell our club and the potential and get someone in quick rather than applauding a home draw against another poor championship team. The club needs a lift and Pulis with a a project to build the club would be fantastic. As an added bonus it would annoy the Nigel's a lot.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Whilst I respect the differing views from other posters, I can't totally agree NJ would be a yes man or a 'puppet'. Anyone who is employed by someone has to toe the line to a certain degree. I'm not saying I want Jonesy as our permanent manager.....but he hasn't lost a game while being in charge of team selection, has he?:)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This morning I was of the very firm opinion that there was no chance that Jones would be appointed.

The Palace news has lessened my resolve slightly. I'd still rate it as 'very unlikely', as it could trigger a big swap-shop that could see our preferred candidate(s) picked up elsewhere and/or cause some targets to wait things out for a better opportunity. I guess, taking this to the extreme, Jones could be a default choice as a safe-ish pair of hands given his knowledge of the players and the set-up.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Its a no from me . sometimes getting the right player is because of the manager in place no disrespect to Jones.

It might start of well but he would get more stick than Sami if it went tits up. the one thing the club must learn we need a experienced manager this time round.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It might start of well but he would get more stick than Sami if it went tits up..
I'm not sure this -- the more stick bit -- is even possible.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
I said ages ago I thought at some point Jones would be given a chance.

I can see a situation where we are turned down by a lot of targets or beaten to it by the merry go round that the Palace sacking may have started. When the MK Dons manager turns you down you know you're quite as attractive as you thought.

Pulis may go to Palace again it WBA. Sherwood? Hughton? Arguably both gambles. If they can't tie a manager down quickly and at the same time Jones gets a few results out of the team I can see him being given to the end of the season and then who knows?

I still think it's unlikely especially since Burke was sacked which makes the job more attractive, but you can't rule it out.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
From what I've seen Barber was asked a direct question about Jones to which he has given the bog-standard well he is in with a chance.

Bearing in mind he is managing the team for at least another game plus the club probably want to keep him in some capacity after the appointment of a new manager I don't think he was ever going to say he didn't have a chance even if that is the case.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Ominous noises from Barber about this - especially as he is being quoted in the press.

Perhaps we could have a wander around the town today to find "passionate people who love the club" - may increase our options a bit.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
From what I've seen Barber was asked a direct question about Jones to which he has given the bog-standard well he is in with a chance.

Bearing in mind he is managing the team for at least another game plus the club probably want to keep him in some capacity after the appointment of a new manager I don't think he was ever going to say he didn't have a chance even if that is the case.

Totally disagree - it would have been very easy to say no point blank.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Anyone coming into the club cold wouldn't have a clue about any of our current players and could also be considered a risk. Bringing in the fans preference like a Pulis or Sherwood would only be on a deal until the end of the season, so if we get relegated they would leave. Our predicament is no one else’s problem but our own, and not many managers will come to us and sign a long contract and take genuine ownership of the job whilst relegation is a strong possibility, which it is.

The only person Bloom can really put his trust in now on the footballing side is Jones, because someone like Pulis saying we need £5m spent on players, in January, to stay up will not be helpful. There will be too many conditions written into a contract and an easy way out would also be included.

We need stability not a short term imaginary fix, and Jones is as qualified as what we need. If there is a chance of him being our Eddie Howe he should be given the opportunity and there is no time like the present. Jones has also got far more experience of the Championship than Karl Robinson so looking down the leagues for a manager isn't the answer.

Great comeback yesterday, and we don't see many of those coming from 0-2 down. The fans favourite Calde turned a blunder into a blinder, I loved the long throw plan and we dug deep and battled to the end.

Looking forward to Fulham so we should just wish him nothing but a good team performance and see what happens.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
A quote from the Argus ..Chairman Tony Bloom and the Board have identified successful managerial and Championship experience as the key criteria to haul Albion out of the relegation zone after Hyypia's resignation on Monday.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
I'd rather gamble on Jones to keep us up until the end of the season, when the club can have a proper look at managers, rather than be stuck with Warnock or Sherwood for a few years.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Anyone coming into the club cold wouldn't have a clue about any of our current players and could also be considered a risk. Bringing in the fans preference like a Pulis or Sherwood would only be on a deal until the end of the season, so if we get relegated they would leave. Our predicament is no one else’s problem but our own, and not many managers will come to us and sign a long contract and take genuine ownership of the job whilst relegation is a strong possibility, which it is.

The only person Bloom can really put his trust in now on the footballing side is Jones, because someone like Pulis saying we need £5m spent on players, in January, to stay up will not be helpful. There will be too many conditions written into a contract and an easy way out would also be included.

We need stability not a short term imaginary fix, and Jones is as qualified as what we need. If there is a chance of him being our Eddie Howe he should be given the opportunity and there is no time like the present. Jones has also got far more experience of the Championship than Karl Robinson so looking down the leagues for a manager isn't the answer.

Great comeback yesterday, and we don't see many of those coming from 0-2 down. The fans favourite Calde turned a blunder into a blinder, I loved the long throw plan and we dug deep and battled to the end.

Looking forward to Fulham so we should just wish him nothing but a good team performance and see what happens.

How is appointing Jones a lesser risk. He has NEVER managed anyone. He has only coached at the powerhouses of British football Yeovil and Charlton. He assisted Garcia in what was a thoroughly boring year (admittedly the play offs were a success), he recommended players like Obika and he was part of a coaching set up which has completely failed this year. He knew the players well two weeks ago as well as he does now! Quite simply Pulis, Hughton, McDermott have all been successful and would be better choices than NJ. We need to show intent.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
More than happy for Nathan Jones to be given a go. Would prefer him over hughton.
I don't think it will happen though, but very much hope Jones isn't shunted out of the club or back to DS level as he was at Charlton.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I think if Jones was a serious candidate for the job the gamble on him would have been taken last summer rather than in the middle of a so far, poor season. I think his lack of experience is too much of a gamble at this stage. Could be a contender in a couple of years, maybe a Jones/Calderon (assistant) team? Unless we are in The Premier league by then of course!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This morning I was of the very firm opinion that there was no chance that Jones would be appointed.

The Palace news has lessened my resolve slightly. I'd still rate it as 'very unlikely', as it could trigger a big swap-shop that could see our preferred candidate(s) picked up elsewhere and/or cause some targets to wait things out for a better opportunity. I guess, taking this to the extreme, Jones could be a default choice as a safe-ish pair of hands given his knowledge of the players and the set-up.

A new manager coming in would take a good month to get to know the players and vice versa. Then with that being the case he would not know the players we need to recruit in the January transfer window. At least with Jones, he is in a better position than anyone to know what we need, and I don't think we could buy that knowledge at the moment, least of all undermine it.

Had this happened a month ago it would be different, but as it stands now the job has Jones written all over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here