Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

City link go tits up

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Jesus, they are one four cloud customers!

Ah!!!

Dec 15, 2014
Here
If you are expecting a parcel via City Link you are going to have to pick it up from the depot yourself

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30602326

Xmas_Wrap_01.jpg

Here are the last two packages. They were delivered to their employees.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sadly they have lost money for years and were sold for £1 not that long ago.

Bad news on the job front though

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Shame they couldn't survive a bit longer as click and collect (with a pick up point option from local corner shops) seems to be taking off.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Shame they couldn't survive a bit longer as click and collect (with a pick up point option from local corner shops) seems to be taking off.

City link deliver click and collect to retail outlets,however the likes of newer players DPD have been eating into the market share over the years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This is huge in Berlin. I have three local shops (a newsagents, a dry cleaners and a locksmith) where my packets get delivered.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
This is huge in Berlin. I have three local shops (a newsagents, a dry cleaners and a locksmith) where my packets get delivered.

can be a pain stuck in a que wating for a shop staff to find a parcel tho,increase in insurance premiums for shops to pass to the customer too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
City link deliver click and collect to retail outlets,however the likes of newer players DPD have been eating into the market share over the years.

Some of the newer entrants don't give a **** about the package they're delivering , my son ordered a Karcher window vac for my Xmas present and because he wasn't in when they turned up it was lobbed over the garden wall onto the patio.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Some of the newer entrants don't give a **** about the package they're delivering , my son ordered a Karcher window vac for my Xmas present and because he wasn't in when they turned up it was lobbed over the garden wall onto the patio.

This can be a problem and you cannot always when ordering have a say over what carrier company the sender may use,some carriers insist on signatures and no doorstopping such as you highlight,it's a difficult one...of the bigger players DPD in my area are very good as are TNT and UPS.....but i guess a lot comes down to the driver,does he/she take pride in their work,this can vary area to area..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
can be a pain stuck in a que wating for a shop staff to find a parcel tho,increase in insurance premiums for shops to pass to the customer too.

I'm not how it works financially, or how it actually works in the shop, but it does work and it works very well. I used it a lot in the past month. Surely there is a huge saving to the courier company with no storage at their site and/or repeat attempts at the residential address which can be passed on as a payment to the shop and/or customer? It's taken off big-time so there must be some good to be had.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I saw a family deliver a package to a neighbour. Three or four parcels ended up on the road before they found the right one. They found a recipient, but the kids looked very bored.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Owner driver for UKMail, we were told 6 weeks ago they were folding after xmas, so no surprise really, union can't have had their ear to the ground if it was a surprise to them. Just need Yodel and Hermes to follow suit and hopefully rates can move up again, they've only moved downwards in recent years because of these, which is ridiculous considering the amount of stuff being ordered online, as the chaos this xmas has proved. Depots so busy they can't get the freight out and delivered, yet no-one is making much money ? Absolutely crazy.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Owner driver for UKMail, we were told 6 weeks ago they were folding after xmas, so no surprise really, union can't have had their ear to the ground if it was a surprise to them. Just need Yodel and Hermes to follow suit and hopefully rates can move up again, they've only moved downwards in recent years because of these, which is ridiculous considering the amount of stuff being ordered online, as the chaos this xmas has proved. Depots so busy they can't get the freight out and delivered, yet no-one is making much money ? Absolutely crazy.

If this is the case then why not announce it 2 weeks ago or earlier, why Christmas Day FFS do they get some sort of ultimate power trip out of it. Businesses that do this make my piss boil.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
If this is the case then why not announce it 2 weeks ago or earlier, why Christmas Day FFS do they get some sort of ultimate power trip out of it. Businesses that do this make my piss boil.

Its the lowest of low acts. No excuse for it at all. Worse than the stunt Phones 4U pulled a couple of months back when they announced they were ceasing trading at 8pm on a Sunday night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here