Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Like i have said before, Hughton has only ever managed teams absolutely nailed-on to be promoted. He's done a poor job when that isn't the case.
I think it would be a really poor, short-sighted appointment, as he actually doesn't tick any boxes other than the fact he's english, which obviously means he will get us out of this division. Unfortunately, I think he will do that by getting us relegated.....

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
worried that with rosler the brains behind him was warburton. similar to sami and the german bloke and in our favour getting gus when he was with wise

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why do fans go on another teams board and come out with that cringeworthy line about having a soft spot for them? Maybe it's me but i find it quite embarrassing.

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"no plan b" seems to be a common complaint of managers at various clubs. It's almost as if it's a pointless cliché uttered by people trying to make themselves look more knowledgeable about tactics than they actually are.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
"no plan b" seems to be a common complaint of managers at various clubs. It's almost as if it's a pointless cliché uttered by people trying to make themselves look more knowledgeable about tactics than they actually are.

This with bells on. Bored of hearing that as you say.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Not really. Look at Kit Symons for Fulham. We were all over them in the first half of that home game. He changed their tactics at half time and, even though we took the lead, they were WAY better in the second and ended up taking all three points. "We are Brighton, we play only one way" is great for marketing DVDs at the start of the season but if we don't play horses for courses for the rest of this season we're stuffed.

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not really. Look at Kit Symons for Fulham. We were all over them in the first half of that home game. He changed their tactics at half time and, even though we took the lead, they were WAY better in the second and ended up taking all three points. "We are Brighton, we play only one way" is great for marketing DVDs at the start of the season but if we don't play horses for courses for the rest of this season we're stuffed.

That doesn't exactly counter my sentiment. That a manager changed things in a game in a way that fans noticed and it notably worked for him doesn't mean that everyone is suddenly right when they put forward the argument that their manager doesn't have a plan B. That a manager talking about his team only playing one way, doesn't mean that he "has no plan b" - walking is "one way" to get to the amex, but I can think of numerous routes to take. The fact there is "one way" that Gus liked us to play, doesn't mean he only had one set of tactics to use to play that way, and again, doesn't mean the fans were right every time they uttered that phrase.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That doesn't exactly counter my sentiment. That a manager changed things in a game in a way that fans noticed and it notably worked for him doesn't mean that everyone is suddenly right when they put forward the argument that their manager doesn't have a plan B. That a manager talking about his team only playing one way, doesn't mean that he "has no plan b" - walking is "one way" to get to the amex, but I can think of numerous routes to take. The fact there is "one way" that Gus liked us to play, doesn't mean he only had one set of tactics to use to play that way, and again, doesn't mean the fans were right every time they uttered that phrase.

The one thing we have never done in the Amex era is change our tactics to match an opponent (at least I can't think of a time). In general I'm behind the "one approach to all teams" long term view but right now I think we have to do this. Hughton would actually be my choice and my hope is he can implement a multi-faceted survival plan.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Steve Evans changed his tactics after 20 minutes of the game at The Amex and got a deserved point but I don't notice anyone suggesting we move for the Glaswegian heart-attack-waiting-to-happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here