Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is anyone now feeling sorry for Sami?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With the Burker bombshell hitting home, does Sami become the 'right man at the wrong time?'

Tony is admitting we haven't got a competitive squad, and that isn't down to Sami.
Perhaps Sami was unfairly treated by everybody connected to the Albion.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
With the Burker bombshell hitting home, does Sami become the 'right man at the wrong time?'

Tony is admitting we haven't got a competitive squad, and that isn't down to Sami.

Maybe so but he should have got more from the players we do have and at least played to their collective strength.

Look at JFC , been getting slaughtered when playing DM but against Wolves, he was further forward and by all accounts played much better. Why did it take so long?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
He was in many respects but his tactics were sketchy at best. I respect each manager likes to adopt a system and teach his players how to play it but it took far too long for him to realise that playing wing backs with only two centre halves was a huge mistake. By the time he changed it confidence was low and the players lacked belief.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No the recruitment was poor but the manager has a better squad of players than our position shows. Sami and Burke had to go and fair play to Tony Bloom for seeing what needs to be done and making the appropriate changes

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove

oh do bore off. he was an incredibly poor choice in hindsight. how can you not see that?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
No it was a combination of Hyypia's naive system and tactics and poor signings that got us into this mess. The player recruitment didn't help, but everyone could see that team selections were baffling!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I absolutely feel sorry for him - but that doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision for him to move on.

He seems a genuine bloke, and was clearly dealt a poor hand - but still played it badly. I believe under the 'right' manager (whoever that may have been) we'd be a fair bit higher than 22nd.

I'm more than happy to wish him the best for the future though. Plenty of Liverpool fans want him on the coaching team up at Anfield - hope that works out for him if he does so.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
No his tactics at best were baffling and the team for the most looked lost.

Thats not the players.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Funny I was just wondering how people would feel if Tony has come back to get rid of Burke and then get Sami to change his mind? He did seem to like Sami after all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
oh do bore off. he was an incredibly poor choice in hindsight. how can you not see that?
Read it properly, you pillock.
I'm just asking the question in light of Sami's 'boss' being asked to clear out his desk.

I might have been late to the 'bin the finn' barricades but I did get there, with a couple of weeks to spare.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I do feel for Sami but I genuinely believe that any accomplished coach/manager should be able to work with what they have, without relying on the 'player recruitment' argument to bail them out (to his credit, Sami I don't believe ever did) so...yes I feel sorry for him, but no more than I did yesterday.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Only in the same sense of any manager who is fundamentally a good bloke but leaves/is fired for poor results. It was the right outcome.

I think we all know there have been problems beyond him, and they were significant. But he could have said no to the gig in the first place, and he should have done better with the players that were there.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
No matter how good a person you are, and Sami was clearly well-liked at all levels within the club, if you don't believe in yourself that will transmit itself through the players and be reflected in results. I think he came to us off the back of a miserable run at Bayer Leverkusen and hadn't worked out in his own head what had gone wrong. The result was that he carried on here as he left off there. What might have saved him was if Sammy Lee had signed. I have nothing against Nathan Jones and hope he stays as I believe he will be a good coach, but his relative youth meant he was always going to be the junior partner and never the person with sufficient seniority to advise Sami on how to adjust his mindset.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Sami acquired some terribly limited players and I think things may well get worse before they get better - although it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise as I think some quality signings will be brought in in January as Tony Bloom gets his cheque book out for the new manager (hopefully Karl Robinson).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here