Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will anyone give Tony cause to return early from Aussieland...

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
...ever again?

It would seem ruined holiday and jet lag makes our Tone a grumpy sour puss.

Tony + overtired = sackfrenzy.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Is he currently in Oz, Singapore, Brighton at the Urban Oufitters sale or having a massage in the Malaysian Airways first class departure lounge at Heathrow? On another thread it was mentioned that he'd already flown back Down Under. We might need one of those non-denominational Santa trackers for TB.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
You have to say he has acted fast and decisively. If he now pulls (no pun intended) a decent manager out of the hat quickly he will have done a great turnaround. It's easy to get things wrong, but often difficult to admit you did and change it, it seems he is a bigger man than some (including me at times) gave him credit for.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Logically would he have arrived back in the UK this morning sacked Burke and gone back to Oz. No he would have told Paul Barber to do it. He is obviously staying a couple of days to carry out interviews etc. I would expect him to fly back on 29th/30th all done and dealt.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Logically would he have arrived back in the UK this morning sacked Burke and gone back to Oz. No he would have told Paul Barber to do it. He is obviously staying a couple of days to carry out interviews etc. I would expect him to fly back on 29th/30th all done and dealt.

Interesting poin that. I do find it strange that he is paying top dollar for a supposedly top CEO, and yet he doesn't SEEM to trust him to do the hiring and firing?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting timing by Hyypia to quit, it has to be said.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Interesting poin that. I do find it strange that he is paying top dollar for a supposedly top CEO, and yet he doesn't SEEM to trust him to do the hiring and firing?

Isn't Barber's job basically to do the sums, balance the books and deal with all the boring stuff that would make running a football club not very fun or interesting? Whereas, hiring and firing top personnel is a bit a different.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012

But isn't this a highly critical appointment we are thinking about at a crucial time! I would imagine Mr Barber is organising/running the recruitment of a new head coach, manager or whatever, with mr Bloom sticking around because he is probably fairly interested (deliberate understatement) in where we go from here..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely if TB didnt expect an early appointment he would have told Barber to let Jones carry on and he would come home for the cup game after the new year and go from there. Oh while you are at it sack David Burke immediately.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok one more time, from the top.

It's now Tony's club.
Tony employs EVERYONE (that's left)
Tony fires who he wants, when he wants.
Tony hires who he wants, when he wants.
Tony employs Barber to count every penny coming in and going out.
He employed Burke to be responsible for every player coming in and going out.

But there are £200,000,000 reasons + £10,000,000 annual reasons why Tony does the boardroom hiring and firing, and nobody else.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nowhere has it been mentioned that his family upped sticks and come with him.

Whilst we all get an early Christmas present spare a thought for his family.

Thank god we have a chairman like him.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nowhere has it been mentioned that his family upped sticks and come with him.

Whilst we all get an early Christmas present spare a thought for his family.

Thank god we have a chairman like him.

Maybe we should be thanking BA.
Perhaps they wouldn't let Tony in the first class lounge, served up bacon surprise as the in flight meal, only had Eastenders available to watch, then lost his luggage.

"get me on the next flight back, I'm sacking the first person I see".

Something happened on that flight. :lol:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

He has to stay longer than the 29/30th. There won't be any interviews/hiring/firing now for 2 days as everyone should be enjoying Christmas.

They'll carry on compiling lists and interviewing between Boxing Day and New Year and I reckon make an announcement week commencing 5th Jan.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Isn't Barber's job basically to do the sums, balance the books and deal with all the boring stuff that would make running a football club not very fun or interesting? Whereas hiring and firing top personnel is a bit a different.
Paul Barber runs the club in line with the chairman's overall directions, as he will make abundantly clear if things start to go all right again.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He has to stay longer than the 29/30th. There won't be any interviews/hiring/firing now for 2 days as everyone should be enjoying Christmas.

They'll carry on compiling lists and interviewing between Boxing Day and New Year and I reckon make an announcement week commencing 5th Jan.

If they have 1 specific target they would invite them to the Reading game and have an informal chat after, .then seal it in principal on 27th/28th. This would then leave the contracts to be drawn up by the respective legal teams as soon as back to work. It would be a standard contract with our particulars and demands, wages etc added.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here