Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Albion memories.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
I have a few,but one stands out.
Albion must have been in danger of relegation to the old fourth division.
I think it was last game of the season and we were playing someone in a similar position.
It was an evening game in the late 60's or maybe the early 70's.My uncle had taken me along.
I think that a point was enough for both teams to stay up and neither team was keen to come out of their own half.
I do remember Alan Duffy hitting the bar with an overhead kick in front of the South Stand.
At the end both sets of fans were on the pitch celebrating.
Anybody have any idea which game it was?
I probably have some details wrong.

I also remember doing a sponsored walk to raise money to by a player.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It might have been end of the season against Rochdale in 1971/72. 1-1 meant Brighton went up and Rochdale won their relegation battle.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Got taken to games in the late 70's but cannot remember,however i do recall being in the East terrace for a midweek game versus Swansea which we lost 1-2 in 1981 and cried after the game (was 8) other than the Wembley 83 games i have no earlier memories other than reading John Vinnicombes Argus match reports in 1987 such as "Albion defy the hangman again" in relation to our 17 match unbeaten run that season..

This prompted me to finally go and my 2nd ever match proper was versus Arsenal in 1988.

The rest as they say is history.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
It might have been end of the season against Rochdale in 1971/72. 1-1 meant Brighton went up and Rochdale won their relegation battle.

Brilliant!!
You are right.
It was that game.I was 11.
I had been to a couple of games before,but this was a night game with all the atmosphere that you got at the Goldstone.

Thanks!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here