Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trip to Rome

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Hi All

Looking to take the wife to Rome in May or June as a surprise, but just wanted some of your knowledge on the place.

We will visit the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City, Colliseum etc but how long do you need in Rome? I know there are plenty of other places to visit which I will look into. It would be nice to maybe also take a trip to Florence and Pisa if this is doable. Budget about £1000 total ( plus spending money )

My wife would love to go to Sicily but we would not fit it all in.

I expect many of you have been there so would be good to get first hand opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You can walk around a lot of it or get a metro / bus pass which is really cheap. The only aspect I thought wasn't good value was the Coliseum. Vatican City was excellent and were the many other chapels (Basilicas) around the place. Many good value hotels, went via Expedia for ours. Great food BUT HUNDREDS of pickpockets!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
You can walk around a lot of it or get a metro / bus pass which is really cheap. The only aspect I though wasn't good value was the Coliseum. Vatican City was excellent and were the many other chapels (Basilicas) around the place. Great food BUT HUNDREDS of pickpockets!

How many days did you need? Regarding the Vatican, we will probably opt for the tour so as to skip the queues.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Take a 1.75hr train trip to Monte Cassino and have a tour of that place!!

We went to Rome in May this year and this was a fantastic trip to get
away for a day trip -

btw - watch your bags in Rome - it is the thief-central capital of the
world. My other half had her purse stolen and she is from London - so
please watch your possessions like a hawk.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Going to Sicily after Rome is like saying: we are off to Amsterdam this weekend but
also want to fit in Berlin.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Going to Sicily after Rome is like saying: we are off to Amsterdam this weekend but
also want to fit in Berlin.

Yeah I know what you are saying. The main bit is to spend a good time in Rome, and then visit Florence and/or Pisa. Sicily I feel would need a good trip on its own.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
How many days did you need? Regarding the Vatican, we will probably opt for the tour so as to skip the queues.

We only had a long weekend, three nights. To be fair didn't need anymore than that. We didn't really do any paid trips as "skimmed" the viewing on everything and had some good long lunches and a bit of shopping. Know people that have done the whole Vatican City tour but I guess it meant more to them than a couple of Atheists!

Really do mean it on the "pick pockets" they're everywhere and you have to take clothing that'll help you protect your valuables. Much worse than London, Barcelona etc.

Great city though and really enjoyed it. Use the buses / metro so easy to get around. We stayed very close to the Trevi(?) Fountain.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We are probably looking at a maximum of 5 or 6 nights, and if we want to visit Florence and/or Pisa, may be rushing too much to then visit Sicily.

Lucky you sounds amazing, hope you and your good lady have a wonderful time. Sicily was ok, but very expensive. As everyone says watch your personal belongings, usual things don't get a map out in public etc advertising the fact your not a local etc etc also watch for the mopeds they also bag snatch along with grabbing your arse, well they did not grab mine, but the wifes !!

We are probably looking at a maximum of 5 or 6 nights, and if we want to visit Florence and/or Pisa, may be rushing too much to then visit Sicily.
You're right. Rome, Sicily and a Tuscan city are too much for a five or six night stay. For a short stay, I'd recommend Florence over Pisa.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Allow an entire day for the Vatican - you might already have spotted that if you've looked into the tour.

Another day for the Coliseum and Roman Forum - you can get one ticket that will cover both if you go in the same day, which works out much cheaper than doing each separately.

Disappointingly the Trevi Fountain was completely covered in Scaffolding and works when I went in October - that shouldn't take 9 months I guess, but worth a double check before you go there.

And the biggest piece of advice - watch out for the people giving a "gift" to your wife. It's quite simple, they will come over and hand something to your wife, insisting that it's a "gift" and that they don't expect anything at all from her in return. Then they'll turn to you and say that it's only fair for you to then give them a gift in return. I did only see people fall for it once or twice, but in the space of a long weekend my girlfriend & I must have had it tried on us at least 30 times - in the evenings it was at least once every 20 minutes. Absolutely relentless - and the Spanish Steps area was the worst.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Rome is decent, but lots of pickpockets so watch out. Agree do most of it on foot, metro is a hassle and you miss too much cool stuff. We stayed at this amazing boutique hotel, was a bit pricey though but excellent location and really enjoyable experience.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Rome is decent, but lots of pickpockets so watch out. Agree do most of it on foot, metro is a hassle and you miss too much cool stuff. We stayed at this amazing boutique hotel, was a bit pricey though but excellent location and really enjoyable experience.

Cheers, which hotel was it?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Pisa is a three hour visit tops - Florence is fantastic. Also recommend the towns of Lucca and Siena

So many people have told me how great Florence is, so maybe we will do a couple of nights in Rome and a couple in Florence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here