Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Comments in todays papers about the transfer budget

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Amongst all the comments about Hyypia in the papers this morning, 2 things stand out one is that BERK could be the next one out and the second is that we are known to have one of the smallest budgets in the Championship.

I can understand the teams with the parachute money but surely we should be having more money than the likes of Rotherham, Brentford and even Bournemouth in our budget even allowing for the shite that is FFP.

If things are so desperately tight with cash it makes the money wasted on the likes of Toko, Agusteien and loan players we can't play even worse.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Or perhaps the papers can't be bothered to find out and are just jumping to conclusions? I happen to think we've wasted quite a respectable budget for this division, but I don't really know either

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
More importantly, it makes all the money and effort us fans put in, seem just a waste of energy over the last 4 seasons. They told us we were targeting the Prem...... when clearly we were never in any sort of financial position to.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
More importantly, it makes all the money and effort us fans put in, seem just a waste of energy over the last 4 seasons. They told us we were targeting the Prem...... when clearly we were never in any sort of financial position to.

errr, two seasons in a row we came within a whisker?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

I find your sentiments a bit sad.

Personally, the money I've spent was to watch the team play. The effort I've put in has been to travel to and from games.

At no point was the the money or the effort spent to get us to The Premier League or based on a promise that we'd get there. I don't recall anyone promising that, and I'd have taken it with a pinch of salt if they had!

As for the budget, I have no idea what it was or is, and I don't believe anyone else on here does, either.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

That makes little sense. We came within a couple of games of the Premiership. And then the finances would have taken care of itself (as at Palace).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Amongst all the comments about Hyypia in the papers this morning, 2 things stand out one is that BERK could be the next one out and the second is that we are known to have one of the smallest budgets in the Championship.

I can understand the teams with the parachute money but surely we should be having more money than the likes of Rotherham, Brentford and even Bournemouth in our budget even allowing for the shite that is FFP.

If things are so desperately tight with cash it makes the money wasted on the likes of Toko, Agusteien and loan players we can't play even worse.

You've quoted two different things there - 'transfer budget' and 'budget' which is, presumably, 'playing budget' ie transfer fees, agent fees, signing on fees and wages (incl. bonuses etc) with the latter being by far and away the most significant.

I would imagine most educated guesses would have us around mid-table in this division on playing budget (not transfer budget), sitting behind the clubs at various stages of parachute payment receipt and the basket case clubs who went hell-for-leather and ignored FFP.

Beyond that - are you really demanding that every player bought delivers a positive contribution to the squad? No club in the world is able to guarantee that with every player acquired.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I reckon we are just below average in player budget terms. As for Bournemouth I thought it was common knowledge they had the biggest budget outside of the "Parachute Payment" teams.

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
I have very much enjoyed the last two seasons, however, we are not ready for the Premier league yet - are we?

we have all wanted a change from Hyypia, nice guy just has not worked out.

We did make some good signings on paper, we can all be wise after the event, some appear to have not worked out as we would hope, but lets see what happens now.

Don't forget We still make a huge loss, a good job we have Tony to keep it going and put in a small fortune, we know he has the best interest of the long term future of the club in mind,

At this time remember family is much more important than football (though it is great to see us win!)

Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year,

onward and upward, a win against Reading would be nice,

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I reckon we are just below average in player budget terms. As for Bournemouth I thought it was common knowledge they had the biggest budget outside of the "Parachute Payment" teams.

More than Forest?

I knew they had been spending a bit but they've a few home grown and Elphick and Cook would hardly have broken the bank. They blew a bit on the South African fella and I assume Kermogant cost a bit but their squad doesn't 'look' any more expensive than ours.

I don't know though ... I assume their losses are higher as they can't generate the same revenue but as for out and out spending, I wasn't aware of that

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I've thoroughly enjoyed watching some cracking games over the last 4 seasons - well worth the money paid and effort made to get there.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think all that TB needs to be now is honest, and he probably is.

We (including TB) want to get to The Premier League. We've had a go and it cost a few bob, not so much that it killed the club but too much money at the same time as we were building the training ground, finishing the stadium extensions and building our development squad.

Perhaps we've now decided that we'd have a better chance of Premier League survival and then establishing ourselves in the top flight once the development squad players are established and the training ground is developing more talent.

So we now need to keep our costs to a minimum whilst maintaining Championship status and building up our cash reserves, so we have a fighting fund rather than trying to keep within FFP.

This wouldn't be a bad plan BUT it's not sexy, not seen as ambitious and it's not going to keep the 23,000 STHs, necessarily. It is, however, a good common sense approach IF, and it's a big IF, you can communicate it to the fans, they see some progress and buy into it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think all that Tb needs to be now is honest, and he probably is.

We (including TB) want to get to The Premier League. We've had a go and it cost a few bob, not so much that it killed the club but too much money at the same time as we were building the training ground, finishing the stadium extensions and building our development squad.

Perhaps we've now decided that we'd have a better chance of Premier League survival and then establishing ourselves in the top flight once the development squad players are established and the training ground is developing more talent.

So we now need to keep our costs to a minimum whilst maintaining Championship status and building up our cash reserves, so we have a fighting fund rather than trying to keep within FFP.

This wouldn't be a bad plan BUT it's not sexy, not seen as ambitious and it's not going to keep the 23,000 STHs, necessarily. It is, however, a good common sense approach IF, and it's a big IF, you can communicate it to the fans, they see some progress and buy into it.

Echoes some of the thoughts of @Not Andy Naylor on the bonus Roar from last night which also match very closely with what an agent told myself, [MENTION=3099]Lokki 7[/MENTION], @Buzzer and a few others on the train on the way back from the Forest game at the end of last season.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think all that TB needs to be now is honest, and he probably is.

Echoes some of the thoughts of @Not Andy Naylor on the bonus Roar from last night which also match very closely with what an agent told myself, [MENTION=3099]Lokki 7[/MENTION], @Buzzer and a few others on the train on the way back from the Forest game at the end of last season.

Very sensible but can any club really "build up cash reserves" in the Championship? Limiting our losses perhaps, but without the odd bit of success with transfers I can't see how a positive P&L is possible ... other than that I can see the logic

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I can live with that. It will definitely influence who we get as manager. Best some people scale down expectations.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I've thoroughly enjoyed watching some cracking games over the last 4 seasons - well worth the money paid and effort made to get there.
I think the point is, that there was massive enthusiasm and belief, sold to us by both Bloom and Gus in fact, the target was the Prem. As we now see from successive managers, from a player perspective, we weren't really competing, despite our two flirtations with the playoffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here