Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stan Collymore

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Saying DoF doesn't work here, but chairman like Bloom don't want to trust inexperienced managers with money and want to have a hand in player recruitment. Also the risk of if manager is poached have to start again to rebuild whole back room, no consistency, where as DoF does offer that.

What would we think if Bloom admitted the reason we had a DoF is because he wants a hand in the playing side?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Albion since Poyet left are a lesson in why DOF combined with FFP being adhered to is a frigging disaster. Forget that we got to the playoffs last year that was in spite of FFP and the DOF rather than because of it. Oscar couldn't get out of the door fast enough after the Derby game. Summer targets ALLEGEDLY turned us down because of it and look what we ended up with.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Saying DoF doesn't work here, but chairman like Bloom don't want to trust inexperienced managers with money and want to have a hand in player recruitment. Also the risk of if manager is poached have to start again to rebuild whole back room, no consistency, where as DoF does offer that.

What would we think if Bloom admitted the reason we had a DoF is because he wants a hand in the playing side?

Isn't his employment of a DoF already a tacit admission of that, at least to some degree? He may have no real desire to get involved in the playing side personally (and, my own view, I don't imagine that he does) but it's easy to see the desire to have someone keeping an eye on it for him other than the manager/head coach/leader of the playing staff.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
It works just fine.

Most of Europe uses the system, and pretty much ALL of La Liga and those German buggers.

Just need to find a manager that will actually let it work and get on with his own job.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm pretty sure Bloom has no interest at all in choosing players. The system is simply intended to bring consistency between the teams at all levels and also when managers move on, so that we don't constantly build a team, then rip it up every time there's a new boss. That's the theory, which makes it all the more puzzling that Hyypia allowed the possession football of previous seasons to fall by the wayside almost completely in recent weeks.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It works just fine.

Most of Europe uses the system, and pretty much ALL of La Liga and those German buggers.

Just need to find a manager that will actually let it work and get on with his own job.

Maybe in Europe it does, but look at the most successful clubs and managers in this country.

Can you imagine Ferguson, Mourinho or Wenger working under a DoF? These guys may have earned the right, but there is no doubt their clubs are more successful for a having a manager who is totally in control.

Van Gaal insisted on it at Man U. OK they've got deep pockets but I think their recent improvement is because the club have let him get on with it.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Maybe in Europe it does, but look at the most successful clubs and managers in this country.

Can you imagine Ferguson, Mourinho or Wenger working under a DoF? These guys may have earned the right, but there is no doubt their clubs are more successful for a having a manager who is totally in control.

Van Gaal insisted on it at Man U. OK they've got deep pockets but I think their recent improvement is because the club have let him get on with it.

This

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I would say he was being very dumb.

However there's no evidence to suggest he wants a hand in the playing side though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not say Bloom is involved, but I am saying he wants his man in a DoF role

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I'm pretty sure Bloom has no interest at all in choosing players. The system is simply intended to bring consistency between the teams at all levels and also when managers move on, so that we don't constantly build a team, then rip it up every time there's a new boss. That's the theory, which makes it all the more puzzling that Hyypia allowed the possession football of previous seasons to fall by the wayside almost completely in recent weeks.

Great post, fully agree.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I thought this was going to be a thread suggesting Collymore as manager

Camicus

Man city have a DoF. Still dosnt work in English football? The problem is with dinosaur managers who don't work well with others and cant deligate

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011

At Chelsea the DOF's job is to ensure the manager's transfer targets are signed within the club budget.
At Brighton the manager identifies the position he wants filled and the DOF brings a list of players that fit the budget.
The manager then chooses who he wants from that list rather than starting with you do we want.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here