Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami thanks the fans

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Argus:

Hyypia thanks Albion fans after resigning

Departed manager Sami Hyypia has shrugged off the criticism he endured in Albion's last home game by thanking fans for their support during his 200-day reign.

Hyypia, who came under heavy fire during the 1-0 defeat by fellow strugglers Millwall at the Amex ten days ago, told the club website: "I would like to thank the fans who have shown me their support during my time here. This is a wonderful club, and the fans are a big, big part of that.

"It's been frustrating for us all, and me more than anyone, but I think the support I have had from the Brighton fans has been tremendous. I am just very sorry I haven't been able to give them the results I hoped I could.

"I said recently the fans are the soul of any club, and that has never been more obvious than here at Brighton & Hove Albion. The fans have played a massive part in making the club what it is today."

Hyypia also thanked his coaching team of caretaker replacement Nathan Jones, Joaquin Gomez and Antti Niemi. "I have really enjoyed working with Nathan, Joaquin, Antti and the coaching staff," he said. "They gave me everything they could to make things happen and be successful and I thank them all for that."

He added: "I would also like to thank the club for the opportunity they gave me in the summer, particularly the chairman and chief executive, who have continued to support me during the past few difficult weeks, and also the many staff who gave me their support during my time as manager.

"There are a lot of good people at the club and I genuinely wish them all the very best for the future. I am sorry things haven't worked out as we all wanted."

:)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Good, really classy guy. Hell, this s**t just happens sometimes, to all of us: it doesn't work out and that's that.

And besides, Liverpool fans are desperate to get him in coaching their defence so he'll not be out of the game for long.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I will remember that he got us to the 4th round of the League Cup which is further than the last 30 years. I hope he finds a job in football somewhere and does well.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Fair play to him for saying that but I think he could have shown his appreciation more when he was actually in charge. It would have given him a bit more support from the fans who may have turned more on the real culprit, Burke.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Despite his managerial failing he always came across as a top bloke, wish him well going forward.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks Sami, you did your best in a tough league with minimal financial support. If we had kept Len I'm sure some of those tight matches would have been wins.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Sami has proven himself to be a top bloke.

It didn't work out, of course he did very poorly here under very difficult circumstances - but he has resigned with total dignity.

He has my utmost respect, genuinely wish him lots of success in the future. Top man.

Agree with every word

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Terrible Manager but a top bloke. I admire him for doing the decent thing today, not many other managers would do the same. Wish him all the best in the future

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I love NSC.

Nothing but vitriol on Hyppia when he was in charge, but now he's resigned he's a great bloke!

Everyone is a bloke when they are dead. Sami had some major flaws but 2014 saw the destruction of the team formed under Poyet

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The rug was more or less pulled from under him pre-season with the shambles which was our transfer dealings but at the end of the day his record speaks for itself .... Coaching job will suit him better

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
200 days ....wow we really gave him a chance to make his mark......while the best players were being sold from under him.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Good luck in whatever future career you find Sami!👍
Thank you for having the balls to do the right thing.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
I love NSC.

Nothing but vitriol on Hyppia when he was in charge, but now he's resigned he's a great bloke!
Not in my book , thank god this **** of a bloke has gone , 1 win in 18 games **** him, he aint good enough , great player very very very very shit manager , he has got us in a relegation battle !!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here