Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Barber Man Up?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It would be nice if he admitted he'd screwed up.

The club has lost three managers under his watch, is 22nd in the Championship and has a broken transfer recruitment system. He droned on and on about FFP and how the others should be punished for breaking it, then just voted with everyone else to relax it.

I for one would like it if he stood up and admitted some personal liability for the mess we are in.

But will he?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
What exactly has this got to do with Barber? Does he pick the team? Buy players? Appoint the manager?

We hit FFP target which was part of his job and where he should be judged on. Not team matters

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Umm. The manager reports to Tony, not PB. As does David Burke, the man who heads up our broken recruitment system. It was Tony's decision to agree to vote for the relaxation of the rules around FFP - PB does not have the authority to change the club's strategy in such a fundamental way; it's Tony's decision. Otherwise - yep, it's all PB's fault.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Nope - sure he's not the type to admit any failings - but he won't want a League One club on his CV so expect more to come on that eventually

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You appear to have spelt Bloom wrong.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Possibly he will as I think his Christmas bonus is due

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont get it, its like asking the finance director to take responsibility for the sales director's failure to get his team to hit targets.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
dont get it, its like asking the finance director to take responsibility for the sales director's failure to get his team to hit targets.

No it's not, he is the CEO.

In headline terms he is responsible for increasing the value of the business for the shareholders. Has he increased the value of the business for the shareholders? He has reduced losses for sure which helps, but in football the value of a business is not just measured in terms of profit but on the pitch performance as well. The future customer base is determined by what happens on the green stuff so that matters as much as profit in the short term as this will dictate profit in the medium and long term.

That said if the footballing side is turned around and he continues to increase profitability then he will be deemed to be doing a good job.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No it's not, he is the CEO.

In headline terms he is responsible for increasing the value of the business for the shareholders. Has he increased the value of the business for the shareholders? He has reduced losses for sure which helps, but in football the value of a business is not just measured in terms of profit but on the pitch performance as well. The future customer base is determined by what happens on the green stuff so that matters as much as profit in the short term as this will dictate profit in the medium and long term.

That said if the footballing side is turned around and he continues to increase profitability then he will be deemed to be doing a good job.

He certainly has the title of CEO, but he doesn't have the typical authority that a CEO enjoys. In a "normal" business, all the executives report to the CEO who, in turn, reports to the Chairman/Board. At the club, PB, DB and the manager all report directly into TB. In reality, PB's job is more closely aligned with a COO in a "normal" business than CEO.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
He certainly has the title of CEO, but he doesn't have the typical authority that a CEO enjoys. In a "normal" business, all the executives report to the CEO who, in turn, reports to the Chairman/Board. At the club, PB, DB and the manager all report directly into TB. In reality, PB's job is more closely aligned with a COO in a "normal" business than CEO.

A COO has no finance responsibility, Barber most certainly does. If he's not CEO he shouldn't pretend to be one. If he is CEO he should accept some responsibility - which was my original point.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A COO has no finance responsibility, Barber most certainly does. If he's not CEO he shouldn't pretend to be one. If he is CEO he should accept some responsibility - which was my original point.

There are many definitions of COO, some have finance reporting into them, some don't - PB does. Besides, I wasn't claiming he IS COO, just that, since two key executives do not report into him, his role is more complex to describe than merely saying that he's CEO (which implies he's responsible for everything, which he isn't). If TB wants to give him the job title of CEO, that's up to him. His responsibilities are certainly more CEO-like than any other single person at the club, with the possible exception of TB himself.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It would be nice if he admitted he'd screwed up.

The club has lost three managers under his watch, is 22nd in the Championship and has a broken transfer recruitment system. He droned on and on about FFP and how the others should be punished for breaking it, then just voted with everyone else to relax it.

I for one would like it if he stood up and admitted some personal liability for the mess we are in.

But will he?

The same 3 managers we've lost since Burke has been in control of signing players? Barber isn't the problem Burke is.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
That would be a heartful and meaningful apology i suspect;

'I take full responsibility for the managerial appointment, that I didn't make, as well as the recent performances of the team, which has nothing to do with me. Again, deepest apologies'.

Mocking aside, why should anyone apologise in the first place? What difference woulde it make? Mistakes, or errors in judgement at the very least, have been made and everyone knows it. It's time to move on and an apology would do nothing to help that process.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
There are many definitions of COO, some have finance reporting into them, some don't - PB does. Besides, I wasn't claiming he IS COO, just that, since two key executives do not report into him, his role is more complex to describe than merely saying that he's CEO (which implies he's responsible for everything, which he isn't). If TB wants to give him the job title of CEO, that's up to him. His responsibilities are certainly more CEO-like than any other single person at the club, with the possible exception of TB himself.

You tell me one FTSE company that doesn't have a CFO and has finance reporting to a COO......

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not sure what he has to apologise for (every club makes a bad appointment, Swansea did it with Sousa and progressed to better things), but his notes in the programme on Boxing day could be fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here