Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockholm, Gothenburg and maybe Oslo

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Complicated but stuck with expensive to tweak flights out to this region from 26th Dec. to 6th Jan. and decided I'm going anyway and going to make most of it for the experience on a budget (most likely coach trips not train/flights and hostels plus friend's floors not hotels). Doubly so given holiday period and cost of Scandinavia generally.

Friends from school days / American football exchanges etc. can only point me in right direction or meet for a day or so at a time each, not take me in properly so I'm thus looking to be inspired and NSC is great for random location info and tips :thumbsup: after the obligatory hour or so on google.

I'm interested in anything from cheap/free museums or attractions, reccomended hostels (hear some on boats in Stockholm) or places to eat (know is expensive from a trip to Gothenburg before), any especially good bars to check out, football clubs who are worth going to see (rather than just randomly picking a match if there even are any as assume have a winter break)............. anything really. I looked at going to St. Petersburg even on a boat but they stop for a couple of months after Xmas Eve :censored: In particular anything relating to New Year's Eve in Stockholm other than the touristy fireworks that are televised that come up in all searches.

For help I'm a 31 year old single-ish (some of the complication with trip) experienced traveller quite happy on my own and meeting random people. I can mix a bit of culture with partying happily, quiet/calm with nightlife, indoor with outdoor even in that weather and a good mix is likely the order of business really.

Obviously any Seagulls over there who want a quick beer or to go to a game let me know :albion2: but not expecting that compared to places in America and Asia I've arranged similar previously.

Cheers all for the serious or humourously irrelevant replies

Mike

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You've gone to the most expensive places in Europe, on a budget.... good luck !

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ouch. This is going to be eye-wateringly expensive. When I was in Sweden earlier this year a couple of beers set me back £22.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Oslo has great art galleries and is small enough to explore on foot. I reckon it would be a great place if you had someone to show you the nightlife, cafes etc, but otherwise once you've looked In the galleries and wandered about, it is pretty dull - well, very dull. See if you can get cheap trip to Copenhagen? Copenhagen is ace.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Yes I have people to show me stuff in Gothenburg and Stockholm but as stated they'll be working or have relatives staying too so have lots of time to fill too alone. Am aware of the cost of things and it's not quite going to be living the high life in cheap Asia but have the budget to cope IF stick to studenty type activities and not drinking too often out there.

Oslo did look less exciting than the others. Copenhagen is being considered but is the only Scandiavian city I'd been to before (granted 10 years ago) so was on back-burner for now.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Yes I have people to show me stuff in Gothenburg and Stockholm but as stated they'll be working or have relatives staying too so have lots of time to fill too alone. Am aware of the cost of things and it's not quite going to be living the high life in cheap Asia but have the budget to cope IF stick to studenty type activities and not drinking too often out there.

Oslo did look less exciting than the others. Copenhagen is being considered but is the only Scandiavian city I'd been to before (granted 10 years ago) so was on back-burner for now.

Christiana is good fun in Copenhagen if you haven't been. Oslo is a beautiful city, but there isn't loads to do. Sweden is a great place, but it is ridiculously expensive. If you do decide to go to Copenhagen, you can always stop off in Malmö on the way up. Lots of things to do there.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
You've gone to the most expensive places in Europe, on a budget.... good luck !

Norway yes, but Sweden is not that expensive. Not cheap but certainly not ridiculous. Beers cost more in France/Paris in my experience.

And whoever paid £22 for 2 beers in Sweden, was it at airport/international hotel or nightclub, as normal bars nowhere near that?

Look out for "Dagens lunch" (lunch of the day), which normally includes very decent main course (or buffet), salad, bread, water or low alcohol beer all included, for £7 or £8 in most restaurants/cafes at lunchtime throughout Sweden. They also often have "after work" in pubs effectively happy hours with cheaper beers early evening.

Fireworks are everywhere in Sweden on NYE. Just head to a high point with view over Stockholm with a bottle of something to keep you warm, and bound to be others there you can have a good time with.

Football is not on during winter, but ice hockey is and not so expensive to see.

Oh, and finally, Swedish women tend to love a bit of English! Enjoy!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
copenhagen is far cheaper than the rest and more fun, they are not called jolly danes for no reason.. unless you are into maritime history oslo is more fun than gothenberg. at least the two are close though and although in different countries far closer in every sense than gothenberg and stockholm. stockholm is a proper big city. but a long way from the rest.

if i was you i would just go to copenhagen find a little pub in christianshavn or islandsbrygge and remember the other places are very similar but less fun.

all will be absolutely freezing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here