Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton playing in away kit at the Goldstone v Reading in 1992/93

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Was it because Reading's home and away kits clashed with our home kit?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That was a bloody outrage and still winds me up to this day (yes, I know, I need to get out a bit more). My Reading supporting friend thought it was great, personally, I think we should have called Madjeski's bluff and refused, they would have got the fine.

I mean blue and white hooped home shirts, alternate away kit of blue and yellow hoops - :ffsparr:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That was a bloody outrage and still winds me up to this day (yes, I know, I need to get out a bit more). My Reading supporting friend thought it was great, personally, I think we should have called Madjeski's bluff and refused, they would have got the fine.

I mean blue and white hooped home shirts, alternate away kit of blue and yellow hoops - :ffsparr:

It's not something the Albion would ever be foolish enough to do ;)

Gary-Hart-Brighton_2307345.jpg

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I remember it well - we were totally flummoxed when the team emerged wearing the Chewit wrapper kit.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Isn't it because Reading are from Royal Berkshire and have a special royal allowance to wear there home kits away if they choose?
Or maybe it's BS, but it is what I was told.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Basically Reading forgot to pack their away kit.

I even remember someone ringing Danny Bakers show and Baker said Reading "should be fined within an inch of their lives"

And we lost 1-0 :(

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Isn't it because Reading are from Royal Berkshire and have a special royal allowance to wear there home kits away if they choose?

It's total BS. Plus if you look closely they were wearing their yellow and blue away kit.......just saying???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm surprised it took 6 posts for this fictional urban myth to be mentioned.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Basically Reading forgot to pack their away kit.

I even remember someone ringing Danny Bakers show and Baker said Reading "should be fined within an inch of their lives"

And we lost 1-0 :(

They didn't forget to pack their away kit, they wore it! The trouble was, it was quite similar to their home kit.

To be fair, though, you'd have to be a bit of an arse to find it hard to distinguish between their blue and yellow hoops and our blue and white stripes. Real jobs worth refereeing.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The bad news is our league record at home to reading in the last 30 years is rubbish...Only one win in the last 9 home games and I think 7 losses aswell and many 1-0 losses.

Not good???

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I couldn't work out why I don't remember this. I can only assume that, being the 26th September, it was the last Saturday of the cricket season. I rarely attended weekend matches up until the start of October.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Was it because Reading's home and away kits clashed with our home kit?

It's wonderful to see all these videos you post. Are they recordings you made yourself at the time from the TV footage ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
They are recordings I've borrowed, bought and copied over the years, from fellow supporters such as Tony Meola's Loan Spell.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Reading only brought their away kit (blue/yellow hoops), the referee correctly said that this was unacceptable. The Albion offered their away kit for Reading to use, but they refused and said they had to play in their kit due to the contractual conditions with their shirt sponsors. Bring helpful chaps we agreed to play in our away kit.

Why anyone at Reading thought that a change strip of blue/yellow was acceptable when playing other team that wear blue is beyond me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That wouldnt happen now as many teams wear kits which are very similar to ours one that springs to mind was at Withdean was it Rochdale who wore a purple kit very similar to our blue when Greer was sent off for hitting their sub who had just come on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here