Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Bloom REALLY in charge ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Say for example that Bloom is not as rich as everyone thought he was and say for example that the £200million pumped into the club for the AMEX and Lancing was never his money but he was just the front man for investors who didn't want publicity.

Say now that the investors had given up due to the near miss under Gus or had hit financial problems due to their currency tanking in the markets so had no more to invest right now it might explain things in a hypothetical scenario.

So if hypothetically there was problems behind the scene maybe it explains Blooms keenness to stick with the present manager.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ultimately yes.

But I do feel he has been surrounded (whether his choice or it just happened) with yes men or people good at pulling the wool over his eyes, trying to cling onto their jobs to justify their huge salaries.

I hope that while he is Oz he isnt surrounded by these "no problems here boss types and starts making changes.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Say for example that Bloom is not as rich as everyone thought he was and say for example that the £200million pumped into the club for the AMEX and Lancing was never his money but he was just the front man for investors who didn't want publicity.

Say now that the investors had given up due to the near miss under Gus or had hit financial problems due to their currency tanking in the markets so had no more to invest right now it might explain things in a hypothetical scenario.

So if hypothetically there was problems behind the scene maybe it explains Blooms keenness to stick with the present manager.

he is sticking with this manager because no one else wants the job, but an interesting theory though

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The tiny, tiny issue with your hypothetical scenario, is the identity of these background 'investors' who have decided that the best use of their £200m is to spunk it on a provincial football club that hey have no affinity with, to turn it into a maximum of half that, even if the club DID get promoted.

Sorry - it's a rubbish theory.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
he is sticking with this manager because no one else wants the job, but an interesting theory though

I don't think it's a case of no one wants the job. More a case of no one will take it under the current set up. I'm sure a lot of top manager would want Falmer and Lancing to work from. But not what goes with it i.e Burke and Jones...Top managers want to manage, so they live and die by their own mistakes, not mistakes of others. I'm afraid our horse may have bolted.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If he thinks sticking with the current manager is the best way of protecting his investors how does being relegated to League 1 figure in their calculations??!!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't think it's a case of no one wants the job. More a case of no one will take it under the current set up. I'm sure a lot of top manager would want Falmer and Lancing to work from. But not what goes with it i.e Burke and Jones...Top managers want to manage, so they live and die by their own mistakes, not mistakes of others. I'm afraid our horse may have bolted.

a very good point mate
but the person you need to convince is the other side of the world

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
a very good point mate
but the person you need to convince is the other side of the world

I really think it maybe to late. Who would want it now??? Would be career suicide to take over as manage now, with half the squad on loan and four points from safety. Anyone would need time to turn it around. Time that they would have had a month ago. Look like we are stuck with the useless Finn.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Say that.......

image.jpg

Another cheap shot Ernest, 'Think I'll undermine TB I dont like him having the balls to stick with his manager'
I'm damn sure Tony will need to be a lot closer to the edge before his bottle twitches.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
The tiny, tiny issue with your hypothetical scenario, is the identity of these background 'investors' who have decided that the best use of their £200m is to spunk it on a provincial football club that hey have no affinity with, to turn it into a maximum of half that, even if the club DID get promoted.

Sorry - it's a rubbish theory.

Like at Crawley?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Possibly. A more likely scenario is that Bloom himself has over-stretched himself or is struggling financially.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Say that.......

View attachment 61063

Another cheap shot Ernest, 'Think I'll undermine TB I dont like him having the balls to stick with his manager'
I'm damn sure Tony will need to be a lot closer to the edge before his bottle twitches.

maybe more than 4 points from safety might do the trick or just about to be relegated, how near to the edge does he need to be?

Ultimately yes.

But I do feel he has been surrounded (whether his choice or it just happened) with yes men or people good at pulling the wool over his eyes, trying to cling onto their jobs to justify their huge salaries.

I hope that while he is Oz he isnt surrounded by these "no problems here boss types and starts making changes.
This sounds like it's a suggestion that the way the football club is run might be some sort of accident that has "happened" to Tony Bloom.

It seems to me to be far more likely that Tony Bloom has a distinctive approach to running all of his businesses and that the football club has been fitted into this by the man himself. Just look at the directors that he has appointed to the board and compare them with the directors of his other companies. The same names crop up everywhere.

The only problem that I can see is that all of TB's businesses seem to have been successful. Up until now, that is - when the football club has started to run into difficulties. Does ANYONE in a position of power have ANY experience of turning round a failure?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The only problem that I can see is that all of TB's businesses seem to have been successful. Up until now, that is - when the football club has started to run into difficulties. Does ANYONE in a position of power have ANY experience of turning round a failure?

Its beginning to look a lot like His Excellency The Lord Sugar when he was chairman at Spurs. Despite being a success at whatever he turned his hand to in any other sphere of business, football turned round and bit him in the bum. Football's like that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Possibly. A more likely scenario is that Bloom himself has over-stretched himself or is struggling financially.

this.

A lot of secrecy, smoke and mirrors. Everyone assumes Bloom put in HIS money for the Amex and the training ground, but who actually knows the source of it??? And how much is Bloom really worth? nobody knows except Bloom and a few close to him.
Are we secretly more like the Man U Glazer arrangement, with highly leveraged debt paying for all these toys? Has Bloom over stretched?

What did make financial sense was Blooms desire to get the stadium fully built to 30K ASAP with season ticket demand as it was (in no small part down to Poyet buying the players), and it made sense to get the training ground churning out saleable first team talent ASAP.

But then this common sense approach falls apart and is baffling, because in competitive sport, your performance and success on the field will also affect drive every part of the financial business part in sales, sponsorships off it. Full houses and all the sales that brings come from being competitive, you cannot be competitive with a poor structure, and our current structure with Burke having free rein to buy high price Shit and and then an inexperienced (and massively unsuccessful) manager having to work with someone else's duds and Nathan Jones foisted on him has proven a total failure. Surely Bloom can see, that for all his loud mouthed arrogance, that trusting Poyet was MASSIVELY more successful than what we have now, we had a team ten times better, a lower budget, we made a lot of money from Poyets signings and there was a long waiting list for Season tickets as the matchday tills in the club shop and concourses worked at full tilt.

So what the f*** is going on, is it the blind leading the blind, did Bloom really think we could sell all our best players, replace them with Burkes overpaid dross, and fans would gladly keep paying high prices to witness our club falling apart under his failed structure lead by a well meaning man, who happens to be tactically clueless.

I don't actually think Bloom is either stupid or that he cannot see the difference of what it was and what it is now, which makes things all the more baffling.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The source of TB's wealth hasn't been fully explained but as Paul Barber has made it very clear that TB's investment is 'of his own money' we have to accept that there are no Russians (as implied here) or Asians (as has crossed my mind) involved.

Loose administration in the early days of Tony Bloom's rule led to accelerating losses and a manager apparently out of control. He therefore brought in an experienced chief executive who would run the company in the way TB assumed a football club had to be run and quickly address both problems. I'd guess that the Board (who need only silly general's hats to look exactly like those blokes who surround North Korea's Dear Leader) are happy to applaud most things Barber does, understanding he has the full confidence of the chairman. In any case, Bloom appointees such as Franks, Sugarman and, above all, Godfrey are corporate finance types with little recorded interest in football let alone the Albion.

Unfortunately, although the losses are being dealt with and Gus was shot into space within months, the club's progress in most other areas under Barber's rule has been very patchy. Look at the Albion's management style, with its faux Americana, endless spin and corporate bankerdrivel, and compare it to what is developing at Southampton, and weep a little. The control of the playing side might appeal to Daniel Levy but it has led to disasters on the field.

Tony Bloom understands that there are problems but he also knows that if he loses a third manager within little more than 18 months people on here and in football generally might start to talk so loudly that he will actually hear them. On the other hand, the club cannot afford the humiliation of relegation. My guess is that he will deal with the conundrum by solving the Burke problem, bringing in an experienced elder statesman to actually support the manager, and giving Sami (and the elder statesman) money to spend in the window. I could be wrong. It's just a guess. But I can't see any other way he can deal with the mess that has been created.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ultimately yes.

I believe he has gone to Oz to see Ant and Dec on the 'I'm a Celebrity' set, as they're the only two people shorter than him.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Are we secretly more like the Man U Glazer arrangement, with highly leveraged debt paying for all these toys? Has Bloom over stretched?

Err.........No. First of all there is no debt or interest being paid (if you look at the books).

Secondly, no PE house would stick money into a business that continually loses money, has huge downside risk (no guarantee of being promoted, and no guarantee of staying up even if do get to the PL).

I don't know which business model you have used, LBO, DCF or Comps, but they ALL point to not investing a bean in the Albion unless you have money to throw away.

You're just coming up with conspiracy theory nonsense that is totally groundless in terms of facts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here