Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Budget and league position

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There has long been a theory that a team finishes roughly in the same position as where its relative budget lies in the table.

So, is our budget the 3rd worst in the league ? ???

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
There has long been a theory that a team finishes roughly in the same position as where its relative budget lies in the table.

So, is our budget the 3rd worst in the league ? ???

I would suggest this theory is bollox. Brentford this year? Burnley last year? Wolves last year with their parachute payments?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are told that we had the 8th biggest budget when Poyet was here and that this season sees the biggest wage bill in our history, so we must be top ten and underachieving?

Another question is, do have the worst manager in the division, overachieving by not managing to have us last in the table though? :wink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Money doesn't guarantee success in football, but it certainly increases your chances of performing well. Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United do not sit atop the Premier League season after season through luck alone.

If results and league position did always exactly correlate to the budgets of each club, then football would be very boring indeed - we'd know a season's outcome before a ball was kicked.

That said, [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has a theory that the money = success formula does go most awry in the Championship which I guess may not be massively surprising given the unsettling effects of relegation from the promised land of the Premier League and how clubs cope with that. Or don't cope with that in many cases.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I believe the book Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski was one of the first to publish a correlation between playing budget and league position. I have to confess to not having read the book, only articles by Simon Kuper derived from its findings. There is a strong overall statistical correlation between playing budget and final league position but it doesn't mean that clubs with smaller budgets won't be successful or that clubs with large budgets won't be relegated.

Statistics, innit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here