Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The obvious comparison with 1991-92

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
In 1991 Barry Lloyd's side reached the play off final with Byrne and Small forming a deadly partnership. Small banged in 21 goals. Then Small and others were sold and as a result twelve months later we were relegated, with 47 points and Mark Gall being our top scorer with just 14 goals.

When we lost in the play offs under Gus I worried the same would happen but I guess the key was we didn't lose our main striker or any of the core players and Oscar did a pretty good job of maintaining what we had.

This summer we have lost Ullua and others and the team is now totally different to the one that reached the play offs under Gus.

I think the comparison is very relevant and this season feels very much like that season to me. However what we didn't do in 1991-92 is strengthen during the season. I would like to think with a good January we can get ourselves out of this mess. But without new players we are doomed, history shows that. Managers are less important than players.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Except we didn't have anything like the same level of investment and Lloyd was reliant on finding bargains. A season too far.

This is just pure mismanagement and is not a bottom three squad IMO.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The season in 91-92 was ghastly percentage football.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I remember walking back to Wembley Central after the Play Off final thinking that we would go down the following season, and I wasn't proved wrong. We had a disastrous start, losing 2-0 to newly promoted Tranmere Rovers, who had just signed John Aldridge, who got both goals. However, we did steady a bit after John Byrne started scoring. It was being forced to sell him that sealed our fate. I was a South Stand STH at the time, and remember a game being delayed because there was a fire scare in the stand. The announcement came that they were trying to let us in to take up our seats as soon as they could, and my thought was "I wish they wouldn't".

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
There is a comparison in the results side of things, but the general scenario is very different with the way football is now, all about money and FFP and the level of investment put into the club.
Just can't let it go that under Poyet was our best chance! And can't see anything like that happening again anytime soon!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I thought Mike Small and John Byrne scored 13 and 14 league goals respectively during the 1990/91 season.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Deleted

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
In 1991 Barry Lloyd's side reached the play off final with Byrne and Small forming a deadly partnership. Small banged in 21 goals. Then Small and others were sold and as a result twelve months later we were relegated, with 47 points and Mark Gall being our top scorer with just 14 goals.

When we lost in the play offs under Gus I worried the same would happen but I guess the key was we didn't lose our main striker or any of the core players and Oscar did a pretty good job of maintaining what we had.

This summer we have lost Ullua and others and the team is now totally different to the one that reached the play offs under Gus.

I think the comparison is very relevant and this season feels very much like that season to me. However what we didn't do in 1991-92 is strengthen during the season. I would like to think with a good January we can get ourselves out of this mess. But without new players we are doomed, history shows that. Managers are less important than players.

Was only 9 but mark gall is probably the quickest / best striker ive ever seen, if only he didn't get injured

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Mark Gall being our top scorer with just 14 goals.

14 goals is a very decent total for a top scorer in a Play-Off side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here