Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Line in the sand

Much has been said over the last week about our beloved club but one thing we all have in common is that we care and our feelings run much deeper than what ever happens come 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. A spectrum of difference of opinion, suggestions of team selection to managerial strategy and tactical formations (1-3-2-2-2-1) have had us hooked but I feel it is time to draw a line in the sand and move forward. Some may not like what I say (awaits much abuse) but I feel compelled to share with you. It's good to share!

I believe in Sami (there, I have said it). Now I can move on and inspire you all with a fight them on the beaches type speech!

I want the team to succeed as well as everyone else but we (us fans) are doing a good job of undermining this with every boo we make (no reference to a Police song please), every whistle and every purile piece of abuse hurled at the bench (in Sami's direction). The players DO pick up on this and this only adds to their self induced pressure they further impose on themselves, the sum of which means more mistakes (you know the thing - trying too hard!).

We must move on. We must support our club even harder now, especially now as League 1 really is opening its door for us. We need positivity, we need support, we need to make noise, we need to make the players feel that we are behind them. Surely this is not too much to ask? Or, do we really believe that if we continue to carry on as we are that any good will come of it? Come on, we can do this. We are all in it together. Starting with Wolves tomorrow, let's go into xmas with some cheer. Win, lose or draw, these players still represent the blue and white and we should support them with everything we have. Make the Amex a fortress, but let's start tomorrow where we have moved beyond that line in the sand.

Apologies for any clichés found within the text - totally unintentional.

See you tomorrow at the custard bowl.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Nice sentiments but done to death now these churchillian speeches.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Much has been said over the last week about our beloved club but one thing we all have in common is that we care and our feelings run much deeper than what ever happens come 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. A spectrum of difference of opinion, suggestions of team selection to managerial strategy and tactical formations (1-3-2-2-2-1) have had us hooked but I feel it is time to draw a line in the sand and move forward. Some may not like what I say (awaits much abuse) but I feel compelled to share with you. It's good to share!

I believe in Sami (there, I have said it). Now I can move on and inspire you all with a fight them on the beaches type speech!

I want the team to succeed as well as everyone else but we (us fans) are doing a good job of undermining this with every boo we make (no reference to a Police song please), every whistle and every purile piece of abuse hurled at the bench (in Sami's direction). The players DO pick up on this and this only adds to their self induced pressure they further impose on themselves, the sum of which means more mistakes (you know the thing - trying too hard!).

We must move on. We must support our club even harder now, especially now as League 1 really is opening its door for us. We need positivity, we need support, we need to make noise, we need to make the players feel that we are behind them. Surely this is not too much to ask? Or, do we really believe that if we continue to carry on as we are that any good will come of it? Come on, we can do this. We are all in it together. Starting with Wolves tomorrow, let's go into xmas with some cheer. Win, lose or draw, these players still represent the blue and white and we should support them with everything we have. Make the Amex a fortress, but let's start tomorrow where we have moved beyond that line in the sand.

Apologies for any clichés found within the text - totally unintentional.

See you tomorrow at the custard bowl.

Is there a :wipes tear: smiley?

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
The general dissatisfaction with way things are is not directly aimed at the players and I understand that side of your point!
However to suggest we just accept an inept manager that will cause more harm than good by getting us relegated and watch a team we love produce lack lustre performances because he cannot motivate does not sit right with me!
I'm staying behind the line in the sand and saying support the players not the clueless manager!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The general dissatisfaction with way things are is not directly aimed at the players and I understand that side of your point!
However to suggest we just accept an inept manager that will cause more harm than good by getting us relegated and watch a team we love produce lack lustre performances because he cannot motivate does not sit right with me!
I'm staying behind the line in the sand and saying support the players not the clueless manager!

The players are as culpable, as the manager. as are the executive. Its a perfect storm for being relegated, poor performance at every level

The players are as culpable, as the manager. as are the executive. Its a perfect storm for being relegated, poor performance at every level

I'm sure though that if we can stop our negativity it can have a great effect (looks over shoulder to 17 years ago circa Season 1996/97 - look what we achieved by supporting the TEAM. It galvanised them, and us).

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Loyalty to Sami is not pro-active and right now we need a change at management level.

Currently we have no obvious strategy or tactics, no confidence, no motivation and a JFC love fest??

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm sure though that if we can stop our negativity it can have a great effect (looks over shoulder to 17 years ago circa Season 1996/97 - look what we achieved by supporting the TEAM. It galvanised them, and us).

I know this is dripping in cynicism but here we go anyway. In 96/97 we were fighting for our life. Prices were cheap but so was the football. Other teams' fans supported us. Our owner was EVIL but a change was on the horizon. And we'd already fought the Hun, sorry torn down the goalposts. It MEANT something.

Today? I am being charged too much to watch overpaid "professionals" who don't give a flying F--- run round under the rudderless direction of someone who couldn't lead a dog to a huge pile of spare ribs. Other fans want us to fail, envious of our ground and pies, suspicious (rightly) of our massive growth in supporter numbers (never mind if they turn up). We were Brighton during Fans Utd. Proud working class club who went to big games but were generally not giving it billy big bollocks. Now we're mini Man U. I'd hate us if I wasn't a Brighton fan.

Churchililian speeches are wasted because we have no troops. Apart from Calde, obvs. And he's getting on a bit.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Decent post by the OP, but, the only people that can reverse the decline in a practical sense are the eleven professionals that stride onto the pitch. We can support them all the way, but it's their job to get us back on track.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Would that be the 96-97 season where we sacked the manager and brought in a new one to save our season??

Would that be the 96-97 season where we sacked the manager and brought in a new one to save our season??

Yeah but, no but, yeah but - I was merely making the comparison of what it can do a team if we (the fans) get behind them. Gritty did a great job but I also firmly believe it was 'us' as a galvanised unit made the difference. During the days of discontent when there was much angst on the terraces, the same team folded on a regular basis; cue fans being united (as well as Fans United) and look at the difference with the same team.

However, (before being jumped on from great heights), we are NOT in the same position as we were in those dark days, but we are in a position as fans to become united again to stop (hopefully), league 1 football gracing the hallowed turf of the Amex (not that we have a divine right to remain I the championship with arrogance 'and all that').

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I've seen bugger all from SH, and very little from the players, to justify my wholehearted support at the moment. I can just about stomach the poor results and poor football, but not the apparent lack of passion and lack of commitment.

I'd like to ask you, just what exactly has he shown that leads you to make this statement?

The players and the club believe in him. He has a philosophy which needs to be given time. This is a transition season where this becomes HIS team, HIS way. Oscar (as much as I liked him) did a sterling job with the remnants of poyet and that ghost must be laid to rest.

The question is, Will we ever believe in a manager again when we so hurt by Poyet?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The question is, Will we ever believe in a manager again when we so hurt by Poyet?

Yes, we will. However, many struggle to believe in SH when he externally doesn't seem to believe in himself. Oscar was not as outgoing or passionate as Poyet, but at least he gave off the air of self-confidence and belief.

I've seen bugger all from SH, and very little from the players, to justify my wholehearted support at the moment. I can just about stomach the poor results and poor football, but not the apparent lack of passion and lack of commitment.

I agree with many sentiments shared over the past week that the club HAS to look at itself - and it MUST do so. I firmly believe it is not all SH's fault and the players equally share the blame. It is NOT the managers fault that a player makes a poor pass or poor decision on the pitch, that belongs to the player. However, as I have said earlier, is that poor pass or poor decision being made due to the player's lack of confidence borne from fear of making a mistake? We live in a blame culture these days, is that right? Does it serve any purpose other than undermining spirit to continue to blame? I am not utopian in my outlook but I can recognise through years of experience that football is all about confidence and that is something we are severely lacking. Can we (the fans) help that? possibly. Over to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here