Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton with a kid - what's the form?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I, not very famously, write a blog about only going to home games, though I used to go all over. My son has been banging on about going away all season and so has his mate we travel with and meet afterwards. So the four of us, two dads and two lads (8 and 9) have just booked tickets for the Charlton game.

All of my aways without exception have been without kids. They have mainly involved getting mind blowingly drunk, convoluted train journeys and forgetting the game. Obviously this cannot be so this time round.

So:

Any good family friendly pubs near the ground that Brighton fans with kids could get a quick bite and pre match pint in? I've drunk in lots of South London boozers but never a family friendly one.

In general do we stand where we like or sit where allocated? I know there's a couple of pretty crap views at The Valley.

Cheers for any info. It seems a bit crap asking for away info aged forty-something but you have to understand my friends will only know the best place to get a pint with their enormous breakfast.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My missus, my (then) six (now seven)-year-old and myself went to the Boxing Day game at Charlton last year. We sat in our allotted seats, which seemed to be what everyone else was doing. As away fans tend to stand, best advice is to get in a front tier with little(r) ones. As to pub, won't you be better off avoiding advice from those like your former self that will be going to a boozer to pile a few in, and try and locate one that's more family-/food-oriented, or find a restaurant/pizza-joint that will enhance the kids day?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
My missus, my (then) six (now seven)-year-old and myself went to the Boxing Day game at Charlton last year. We sat in our allotted seats, which seemed to be what everyone else was doing. As away fans tend to stand, best advice is to get in a front tier with little(r) ones. As to pub, won't you be better off avoiding advice from those like your former self that will be going to a boozer to pile a few in, and try and locate one that's more family-/food-oriented, or find a restaurant/pizza-joint that will enhance the kids day?

Thanks for the seat advice :)

Looks like we will be eating sarnies on a rail replacement tin can or something if 8Ace is right.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Thanks for the seat advice :)

Looks like we will be eating sarnies on a rail replacement tin can or something if 8Ace is right.

Rail replacement buses between Brighton and Three Bridges or get the train via Littlehampton. London Bridge is closed so get the train from Vic to Charlton.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
In general do we stand where we like or sit where allocated? I know there's a couple of pretty crap views at The Valley.

image.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Cheers but we'll work the trains out one way or another. If they're fkd then they're fkd. The poor little sod belongs to a commuting Brighton fan, disappointment and travel frustration are going to be part of his life, he might as well get used to it :)
[MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] very kindly sorted my main issue which was whether it was a free for all or allocated seating. I never mind which it is so long as there is a consensus because 8 years olds will tend to insist that they sit in EXACTLY the right seat.

Eats and booze may well be driven by the trains. Hell, I'm used to that by now.....

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Hmm, the only ones I can see are via LA :shrug:
I'm now also seeing a reduced Thameslink service from BTN to London Bridge.
F*ck knows :facepalm:

Yeah - seems to be changing almost daily. 928-1032 Btn Ldn B looks handy at mo.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I, not very famously, write a blog about only going to home games, though I used to go all over. My son has been banging on about going away all season and so has his mate we travel with and meet afterwards. So the four of us, two dads and two lads (8 and 9) have just booked tickets for the Charlton game.

All of my aways without exception have been without kids. They have mainly involved getting mind blowingly drunk, convoluted train journeys and forgetting the game. Obviously this cannot be so this time round.

So:

Any good family friendly pubs near the ground that Brighton fans with kids could get a quick bite and pre match pint in? I've drunk in lots of South London boozers but never a family friendly one.

Cheers for any info. It seems a bit crap asking for away info aged forty-something but you have to understand my friends will only know the best place to get a pint with their enormous breakfast.

You're going to an away match ? Your blog is now a fraud. I shall not read it gain in protest. Well, except when I get a notification about a new entry. Anyway, I'm yet to bore you with my Norwich away entry about the lovely Cathedral and a mad Ipswich Town fan. That'll be punishment enough. Doubtless more writing material tomorrow.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
You're going to an away match ? Your blog is now a fraud. I shall not read it gain in protest. Well, except when I get a notification about a new entry. Anyway, I'm yet to bore you with my Norwich away entry about the lovely Cathedral and a mad Ipswich Town fan. That'll be punishment enough. Doubtless more writing material tomorrow.

Mate your writing never bores me. Perhaps we could sort out a sort of alternate paragraph writing battle for the last home of the game contrasting my kindergarten with your retirement home before we both disappear up our own ennui.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Mate your writing never bores me. Perhaps we could sort out a sort of alternate paragraph writing battle for the last home of the game contrasting my kindergarten with your retirement home before we both disappear up our own ennui.

What a spendid idea. You write about the new Seagull hatchlings in the WSU, and I'll supply the obituaries from across the green.

theboybilly

I'm originally from SE London and after visiting family yesterday can say it is no longer recognisable as the place I grew up. Most of the pubs have gone. I was toying with finding a pub in Lewisham or Blackheath but have decided instead to stay on for one stop past Charlton and go to the Dial Arch at Woolwich Arsenal. It's a Youngs pub and does food. There is a museum, Firepower, in the old Arsenal itself. Just turn right out of Woolwich Arsenal station. Just keep an eye for the return trains to Charlton and you should have stress-free kids

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I'm originally from SE London and after visiting family yesterday can say it is no longer recognisable as the place I grew up. Most of the pubs have gone. I was toying with finding a pub in Lewisham or Blackheath but have decided instead to stay on for one stop past Charlton and go to the Dial Arch at Woolwich Arsenal. It's a Youngs pub and does food. There is a museum, Firepower, in the old Arsenal itself. Just turn right out of Woolwich Arsenal station. Just keep an eye for the return trains to Charlton and you should have stress-free kids

Cheers :clap2:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I went two seasons ago with my 3 kids and it was not allocated seating. We found an ideal spot half way down/up with unrestricted view. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here