Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The come back kings

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
If we did manage to win virtually all our final games starting from now until the end of the season and clinch a place in the playoffs, it would undoubtedly be one the greatest ever come backs. What other famous Albion come backs (either matches or seasons) can you think of, that might give us allthe faintest glimmer of hope (how ever minuscule) this Christmas!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
1996/97

end of.

But it ain't gonna happen.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Alternatively, any come back ever, in the second half of the season, anywhere, in any league in the world. Please I'm desperate to just pretend, that maybe just maybe, there might be a miracle.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
96/97 without any doubt whatsoever.

Russell Slade's efforts are also well worth a mention here.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
That lot up the road were in the Championship relegation zone at Christmas 2003, and then won the play-offs to reach the Premier League in May 2004. It's possible. But they did have to change their manager to make it happen...

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I was meaning our greatest come back to win, not survival. Although 96/7 was a minor miracle, have the Albion or any club been bottom three and ended up getting promoted!?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
That lot up the road were in the Championship relegation zone at Christmas 2003, and then won the play-offs to reach the Premier League in May 2004. It's possible. But they did have to change their manager to make it happen...
Sorry I cannot think about this as a source of hope. Any others?

el punal

I was meaning our greatest come back to win, not survival. Although 96/7 was a minor miracle, have the Albion or any club been bottom three and ended up getting promoted!?

Nearest that I can think of was 1971/72. Although not in the relegation zone, we went from mediocre mid-table to promotion in the last couple of months of the season with, I think, an unbeaten 12 match finish.

Not only that, I believe we became "famous" for the number of times that we scored in the last minutes of games to win or draw. If only that could be replicated this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine if we kept Sami and his fortunes finally changed, and we end up comfortably mid-table.

I wonder how many of NSC's finest who are currently demanding 'comfortably mid-table' would actually be happy if we ended the season 'comfortably mid-table'.

el punal

Imagine if we kept Sami and his fortunes finally changed, and we end up comfortably mid-table.

I wonder how many of NSC's finest who are currently demanding 'comfortably mid-table' would actually be happy if we ended the season 'comfortably mid-table'.

Don't be silly! If we ended up eleventh we would get "we should have made tenth, tactics all wrong, doesn't know what he's doing, Barber out, sort it out Bloom".

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

That's the way I remembered it too, but when I checked I found that they were 19th when Iain Dowie took over and dropped to 20th on Boxing Day - not quite in the relegation zone - before scraping into the play-offs in 6th place. Still pretty impressive though, and if they can do it, anyone can.

Dec 29, 2011
That's the way I remembered it too, but when I checked I found that they were 19th when Iain Dowie took over and dropped to 20th on Boxing Day - not quite in the relegation zone - before scraping into the play-offs in 6th place. Still pretty impressive though, and if they can do it, anyone can.
Didn't reading do something similar a few years ago?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The fightback begins today, I wouldn't have lumped 50 vcash on otherwise .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here