Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cook Removed as ODI Captain

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
As last a bit of sense from the ECB;

Alastair Cook has been removed as England one-day captain, less than two months before the World Cup, and replaced by fellow batsman Eoin Morgan.

Cook, 29, who was appointed to lead the one-day side in 2011, averages only 27.52 in his last 20 one-dayers.

During the recent 5-2 series defeat in Sri Lanka, Cook insisted he would not resign, but a selectors' meeting on Friday took the decision for him.

Morgan began his career with Ireland and has played 107 ODIs for England.

The left-hander, however, is in a similarly poor run of form, averaging only 25.45 in his last 23 matches

The end of Cook's reign as one-day captain comes at the end of a turbulent year for the opener, in which he has presided over a 5-0 Ashes defeat, the sacking of Kevin Pietersen and calls for him to stand down as Test captain.

Though he turned around his form and the fortunes of his side with 3-1 series win over India, pressure on Cook's position as ODI skipper increased with a 3-1 home series defeat by the same opponents and the unsuccessful tour of Sri Lanka.

Though England and Wales Cricket Board managing director Paul Downton said he would be "surprised" if Cook was replaced before the World Cup, he did not have a vote on the four-man selection panel.

Meanwhile, coach Peter Moores, a selector alongside James Whittaker, Mick Newell and Angus Fraser, refused to guarantee that Cook's place as World Cup leader was secure.

This came against the backdrop of a host of former England captains - including Nasser Hussain, Alec Stewart and Michael Vaughan - calling for Cook to be replaced as captain.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cook : Morgan
Frying pan : Fire

:shrug:

I get the impression that Morgan is a short term replacement and that they are looking at James Taylor long term as replacement. I'm not sure myself, I though he lost his way after Cracklin' Rosie plus he's not so good against the short stuff.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I get the impression that Morgan is a short term replacement and that they are looking at James Taylor long term as replacement. I'm not sure myself, I though he lost his way after Cracklin' Rosie plus he's not so good against the short stuff.

think you'll find it was Neil Diamond ??

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yep you are right !I was sure that was James Taylor. doh !

You're thinking of Fire & Rain I suspect but I prefer Sailing to Philadelphia with Mark Knopfler :thumbsup:
More chance of making a comeback than the England ODI team at the moment..............

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Blessed relief really. Excellent test opening batsman and difficult to judge him in ODIs. We've never been any good in ODIs so who can we compare him to? KP looked good briefly when he opened but that ship has sailed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here