Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football has evolved but have the fans?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
In my day you passed the ball to a team mate who was free and tackled the opposition bloke if he was close to you and had a shot if you were close to goal...and that was pretty much it. Nowadays it is a lot more complicated and about systems, triggers and patterns of play. But does the average fan understand these things and even realise they are happening in a game?

I recall a while back watching Bruno play a ball, without even looking up, down the flank and it rolled out of play. The thing is many fans would be on his back for such a poor pass. The more educated realised they had seen this happen many times and generally Will Buckley would receive the pass and set off down the touchline. The times it ran out of play was actually the fault of Buckley for not being where he should be. A pattern of play that had probably been worked on all week and was an ongoing feature of many an Albion attack.

Players will be taught certain triggers that will indicate a course of action they will then take when they see it happening in a match. Like the whole midfield pressing hard when a certain opposition player receives the ball. This is how football has evolved and it takes lots of constant repetition in training to get things to work effectively as planned. This is the reason that it takes new managers such a long time to start getting results from a new system they have introduced to the team and much of the onus is on the players on the pitch to do their job right for it all to work.

The reason I mention this is obvious but perhaps fans need to be educated to understand the game better so that they realise why a manager may prefer JFC to what may appear a more suitable choice. So perhaps the manager is ok after all and us fans just need a little more education and patience....and yes I am aware of our current predicament but it could all change very quickly.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
No I am saying that a player may appear to under perform but maybe it is somebody else under performing

Ok cool, I thought I might have misread it :thumbsup:

It's a fair point certainly. In the case of JFC though its his consistent loss of possession that drives me mad. Although, to use your argument, it could be said that other players weren't making themselves available for support.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In my day you passed the ball to a team mate who was free and tackled the opposition bloke if he was close to you and had a shot if you were close to goal...and that was pretty much it. Nowadays it is a lot more complicated and about systems, triggers and patterns of play. But does the average fan understand these things and even realise they are happening in a game?

I recall a while back watching Bruno play a ball, without even looking up, down the flank and it rolled out of play. The thing is many fans would be on his back for such a poor pass. The more educated realised they had seen this happen many times and generally Will Buckley would receive the pass and set off down the touchline. The times it ran out of play was actually the fault of Buckley for not being where he should be. A pattern of play that had probably been worked on all week and was an ongoing feature of many an Albion attack.

Players will be taught certain triggers that will indicate a course of action they will then take when they see it happening in a match. Like the whole midfield pressing hard when a certain opposition player receives the ball. This is how football has evolved and it takes lots of constant repetition in training to get things to work effectively as planned. This is the reason that it takes new managers such a long time to start getting results from a new system they have introduced to the team and much of the onus is on the players on the pitch to do their job right for it all to work.

The reason I mention this is obvious but perhaps fans need to be educated to understand the game better so that they realise why a manager may prefer JFC to what may appear a more suitable choice. So perhaps the manager is ok after all and us fans just need a little more education and patience....and yes I am aware of our current predicament but it could all change very quickly.

True, I have it on good authority that Peter Taylor, our ex manager was excellent at reading an opposition formation and was able to adjust almost our formation to compensate. It is seeing the game in 4 dimensions, not something most of us are good at.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Some of those Millwall fans made me wonder about Dawin's theory.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ok cool, I thought I might have misread it :thumbsup:

It's a fair point certainly. In the case of JFC though its his consistent loss of possession that drives me mad. Although, to use your argument, it could be said that other players weren't making themselves available for support.

Bloody hell man.... JFC keeps the ball better than anyone in our side !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some of those Millwall fans made me wonder about Dawin's theory.

Ah but Dawins theory was superseded by Charles Darwin who tidied Dawin's Theorem up a little.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
4–3–2–1 (the "Christmas Tree" formation)

In was taught the basics of 4-2-4 a school back in the old days, by Mike Smith, Manager.

It has not changed as much as all that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(association_football)#4.E2.80.934.E2.80.932

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
True, I have it on good authority that Peter Taylor, our ex manager was excellent at reading an opposition formation and was able to adjust almost our formation to compensate. It is seeing the game in 4 dimensions, not something most of us are good at.

Total bullshit. At this level, and most higher levels also, its almost always more draughts than chess. 4 dimensions my arse.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
In any case I prefer a young manager rather an older experienced manager who is entrenched in his old ways.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Surely you stick a big fella up front, get the tricky little fellas out wide to cross it to him and he nuts it in, job done.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Total bullshit. At this level, and most higher levels also, its almost always more draughts than chess. 4 dimensions my arse.

Oh I see, maybe you should quit teaching Anger Management courses and apply to be Sami's replacement ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh I see, maybe you should quit teaching Anger Management courses and apply to be Sami's replacement ?

Phew, that a relief. Thought I was going to be whooshed there. Instead you appear to be serious. Care to expand on your 4 dimensions theorem? I probably won't understand it, but will give it a go :moo:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Phew, that a relief. Thought I was going to be whooshed there. Instead you appear to be serious. Care to expand on your 4 dimensions theorem? I probably won't understand it, but will give it a go :moo:

Well maybe not 4 dimensions but at the risk of a little name dropping I was talking to John Keely down the pub one night and I asked him who was the best manager he had worked with and he said Taylor simply because of his ability to read a game so fast.

He quoted a match against some team who were getting cut to ribbons by Brighton in the first half hour and were hanging on by their fingertips. The opposition manager got his subs warming up and Taylor turned to John and said along the lines of " he's going to bring XXXXX on and push XXXX in to midfield I bet, and if he does, I'm going to move XXXX out to right midfield to double up on him to counter that "

I really can't remember the players names or who we were playing but as John said " he was right, he correctly named the sub he was going to use and where he was going to put him " and, he did move our player which completely ruined the opposition managers plan.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013

I'm sorry but I played fairly high level football up until a few years back. What you are saying is in a round about way. Untrue. As a player you adapt to changes week in week out. These triggers you talk of, occur
in very few situations and I wouldn't expect any player to pass a ball somewhere you just expect a player to be. If they are not you would chose another option.
Hypia has had long enough to tell the players what he expects and wants. They are not responding to Him. Not every new manager wins 1 game in 19.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here