Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Idiot loses their way at Vogue Gyratory and ends up in... the cycle lane

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Had to happen, just surprised it took this long.....

Three cyclists came a cropper on a new stretch of cycle lane – now motorists are also falling victim to it.

Three cyclists fell off their bikes within minutes of each other after hitting a discreet piece of kerb in Lewes Road’s Vogue Gyratory, Brighton, yesterday morning. :blush:
Two of them were hospitalised after going head-first over their handlebars on the new £600,000 redevelopment, only opened by Brighton and Hove City Council this month.

Now drivers are getting in on the act.
This morning, local estate agent Adam Tovey pictured the driver of a blue Kia getting stuck between the pavement and bollards after trying to drive down a cycle lane in Hollingdean Road, at its junction with Lewes Road.
Adam said: "We witnessed a serious accident yesterday where a cyclist fell off their bicycle due to the kerb outside Shabitat in Lewes Road. They then received medical attention in our office following the accident late yesterday afternoon.
"We have today (Friday) also witnessed two further accidents this morning. It's very dangerous in our opinion and could be just a matter of time until it a car or bus is involved."
After yesterday's trio of cycling accidents, MP for Brighton Pavilion Caroline Lucas said she would "urgently raise" the issue with Brighton and Hove City Council.... ???

Must admit it is a tad confusing when you first go round it, find that section near the Sainsbury entrance and the bus stop an accident waiting to happen...

Attachments

• Vogue-Gyratory-C-Lane-1200.jpg-pwrt2.jpg
    Vogue-Gyratory-C-Lane-1200.jpg-pwrt2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 2,658

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not been round there yet, worth avoiding I think .

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We have our local roads used for years withput major incident, then the council spend a fortune on "fixing" problems only to find that their designs are questionable, the quality of the work is shoddy, the build is a severe inconvenience to commuters, their priorities are over-egged and we end up with more accidents than we started with. No doubt after this coming winter we will have a repeat dose of holes in the road that were poorly patched up last year. Why don't they spend our money on improving what we've got, rather than hair-brained schemes that cost a lot of money at us taxpayers' expense?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Minus this dodgy discreet piece of curb and the idiot driver who chose to use the cycle lane, the gyratory has been improved massively. The same can be said for the Seven Dials, The Level, Queens Road and so on.

Count yourself lucky that we have a council who is focussed on improving the city like it does, and long may it continue.

I'll give you Seven Dials, that is so much better now than it used to be. I used to go through there holding my breath every time.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
I used to live near 7 dials. The new 7 dials is the work of genius! Shouldn't get excited by roads I know but it works a treat :)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Minus this dodgy discreet piece of curb and the idiot driver who chose to use the cycle lane, the gyratory has been improved massively. The same can be said for the Seven Dials, The Level, Queens Road and so on.

Count yourself lucky that we have a council who is focussed on improving the city like it does, and long may it continue.

The Level is great and I can't comment on the gyratory yet as I've not seen it. The Lewes Road 'improvements' are anything but, the Seven Dials is already breaking up due to poor design and is less safe for some pedestrians due to protection barriers being removed and Queens Road was an utter waste of time and money - ohh, look, a slightly wider pavement and some planters - no benefits to anyone at all.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Only one way to save these incidents from happening, BAN cyclists!!
[emoji468] [emoji592] [emoji595] [emoji598] [emoji597] [emoji594] [emoji600] [emoji603] [emoji604]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I used to live near 7 dials. The new 7 dials is the work of genius!
Really? I agree that it's a massive, long overdue improvement, but I thought it had been bloody obvious it needed doing for the last 25 years (rather than requiring a genius).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Level is great and I can't comment on the gyratory yet as I've not seen it. The Lewes Road 'improvements' are anything but, the Seven Dials is already breaking up due to poor design and is less safe for some pedestrians due to protection barriers being removed and Queens Road was an utter waste of time and money - ohh, look, a slightly wider pavement and some planters - no benefits to anyone at all.

I suspect you're going to be in the minority regarding the Dials.

It has been greatly improved for motorists and pedestrians.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think the Vogue Gyratory is generally better than it was but I wouldn't say it's a HUGE improvement, they've just tidied it up a bit. However, that bit where the car got stuck did strike me as a ludicrous design when I first saw it. You approach those lights in two wide lanes of traffic then the people turning left have to swing right to avoid that stupid bit of street furniture.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Dials yes. Lewes Road is just plain dangerous and someone most likely a cyclist will be seriously hurt before too long. My guess will be at either the turn into Coombe Road or into Coledean Lane. The delays at almost anytime of the day cannot possibly help with emissions oh and there's the disruption to locals, but other than that cracking idea...

Might be an idea to fill in all the potholes across town rather than grandiose ill thought out tinkering to an already awful traffic scenario. But each to their own I guess...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
However, that bit where the car got stuck did strike me as a ludicrous design when I first saw it.

Doesn't really explain this particular incident though - more the result of an utter moron, who shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a car. "Ooh look at the pretty little RED road they've put in. That must be the special lane for little cars".

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Doesn't really explain this particular incident though - more the result of an utter moron, who shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a car. "Ooh look at the pretty little RED road they've put in. That must be the special lane for little cars".

No, you can't defend that kind of BELLENDERY but you've got to wonder how that design got through without someone questioning it.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
One bit that could do with better signage is highlighting the change to Hollingdean Road. Previously, if you want to head up Bear Road you would have to be in the right hand lane but now you are meant to be in the left. The only thing highlighting it is a road marking as you are getting near the lights. I wouldn't be surprised to see two cars come together where one person knows it has changed and one doesn't and they both head for the same gap.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Nearly got ran over not once but twice by cyclists with those new crossings down lewes road way, who designed that idea & what on earth were they thinking? Absolutely awful, a matter of time before there is a serious incident.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's not the design of the roundabout that's the problem but inferior cobbles used. It's easier for pedestrians now with zebra crossings, rather than lights, which held everyone up.

D

Deleted member 22389

Roads are carnage in East Sussex, everytime you get in the car it's a mission and sometimes stresses me out. Far too many cars on our roads and It's not going to get any better either.
I'm being honest, if I didn't need my car I would probably come off the road for a little while, walk, cycle or use the bus, but with a baby and wife that needs to be taken everywhere it's a bit difficult at the moment.

I'm afraid situations are not made any better because of lazy or selfish drivers these days. Wouldn't it be lovely if everyone left their cars for one day, imagine how peaceful it would be.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here