Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would it take for you to be on Hyypia's side?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Despite our terrible position, I think Sami would still have the backing of many of the fans if he'd just done some very simple things.

It seems to me like he's being too bold/pig-headed trying to get his system implemented and that's caused him to lose the fans. Derby was the clearest example. If he'd set up to defend and maybe nick a goal, I think we could all have a bit of sympathy if we'd lost 1 or even 2-0.

If SH thinks the players are shite. Fine. Just play the least risk strategy until January. Defend in every game. Batten down the hatches. That way, we coudl all be sitting here seeing that he's playing the best team and talking about airy fairy things like "motivational skills" or "philosophy". There would be far fewer concrete examples of total inability and he'd still have a lot of fans on side. The pressure would be firmly at the door of the recruitment team and the board. Sami would look more like the victim in this.

That's what makes me so annoyed. Even if he is total crap (which I think he is), he's done absolutely NOTHING to help himself when it could have been so easy. Just stop playing JFC and Gardner for a bloody start!

What could he have done to keep your loyalty? What was the breaking point?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I find this IRRELEVANT.

What this all amounts to, is a Board that lost their collective 'bottle', after two failed play offs and ridiculous financial losses.

The Squad has been sold off or released- anyone who was any good that is, Hypia (the fall guy) has been left with a load of below par Championship players, who could easily get relegated. Maybe he wasn't the best choice as manager, but I don't see anyone making a success of this given the current 'sell off' policy.

Changing the manager is not the answer, the Board need to look at the whole picture, are their hearts still in it or not? Poyet cost us dearly with his Palace play off antics.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
What was the breaking point?

Middlesbrough, when we were 2-0 down no one on the pitch or the sideline seem to care, Sami was slumped in his seat rather than trying to do something to get some impetus back. I don't even recall any subs warming up for the first 50 minutes of that game.

There have been so many games where we as fans could see the car crash coming, but Sami can't. We could all see at Fulham that we were defending too deep at 1-0, but nothing was done, we all knew that the starting line up at Derby was suicidal, but he couldn't.

If the players show on the pitch, not in the press, that they are 100% committed in their performances I will believe again, but when it is clear that they don't then neither will I.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I find this IRRELEVANT.

What this all amounts to, is a Board that lost their collective 'bottle', after two failed play offs and ridiculous financial losses.

The Squad has been sold off or released- anyone who was any good that is, Hypia (the fall guy) has been left with a load of below par Championship players, who could easily get relegated. Maybe he wasn't the best choice as manager, but I don't see anyone making a success of this given the current 'sell off' policy.

Changing the manager is not the answer, the Board need to look at the whole picture, are their hearts still in it or not? Poyet cost us dearly with his Palace play off antics.

But can you see the question I'm asking. For me, if he'd made just a few more sensible, not batshit crazy decisions about team selection, I think he'd have a number of fans still with him. As it is, he's got none.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Despite our terrible position, I think Sami would still have the backing of many of the fans if he'd just done some very simple things.

It seems to me like he's being too bold/pig-headed trying to get his system implemented and that's caused him to lose the fans. Derby was the clearest example. If he'd set up to defend and maybe nick a goal, I think we could all have a bit of sympathy if we'd lost 1 or even 2-0.

If SH thinks the players are shite. Fine. Just play the least risk strategy until January. Defend in every game. Batten down the hatches. That way, we could all be sitting here seeing that he's playing the best team and talking about airy fairy things like "motivational skills" or "philosophy". There would be far fewer concrete examples of total inability and he'd still have a lot of fans on side. The pressure would be firmly at the door of the recruitment team and the board. Sami would look more like the victim in this.

That's what makes me so annoyed. Even if he is total crap (which I think he is), he's done absolutely NOTHING to help himself when it could have been so easy. Just stop playing JFC and Gardner for a bloody start!

What could he have done to keep your loyalty? What was the breaking point?

Absolutely nothing!!! He had my loyalty when appointed and still has it.

The majority of the starting line up from last season were sold without hesitation and the CLUB has not bought adequate replacements.

You can send a monkey to space but it CANNOT fly the rocket!

I will continue to back Sami 100%.

The crowd reaction to him against Millwall sickened me and was an absolute disgrace, this club has been through some tough times, in fact times that the present situation could not possibly compare to yet the mob are out to get their scapegoat.

Yes he persist's with JFC which has to be questioned but apart from that i cannot have any reason to fault him, he doesn't need to skid along on his knees every time we score, he doesn't need to pump his fists every time Stockdale pulls off a save. He is his own man and i find his calm persona quiet refreshing for a manager.

A manager will not get a team relegated BUT a team will and that team has been constructed before Hyypia has had the chance to add his men to it.

Give the guy a break back the team and enjoy the ride, football is a funny old game with ups and downs and as a club we have had many and this is just another one.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Yes, I can see your question, but I don't think he can perform miracles - he has been left with no quality.....by the way, he left Germany with a terrible record in his last 10 games - he did seem a rather odd choice.

Unless this Board become ambitious once more, the manager here will be in trouble whoever we choose next. Yet no doubt the Board will remain as it is.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Setting up the team in a way that plays to the players' strengths and lessens their weaknesses, and as a result getting, erm, results.

Sami being unable to see where it isn't working week after week, when it's painfully obvious from the stands, is unacceptable. For a start, let's play a defensive midfielder - especially away from home against a team like Derby. Let wide attacking midfielders go wide to isolate a defender, rather than dropping inside and behind the fullback when said fullback goes forward.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It would take seeing the Millwall game as a low point, and suddenly the team start to show some collective fight right across the pitch. 2 wins on the bounce will certainly have me feeling a little bit hyypia going into the new year.

I think he should be sacked, but in football matters I love to be proved wrong. Nothing would make me hyypia than the Fin turning it around and we've got it all wrong. Can't see it, but would love it.

But can you see the question I'm asking. For me, if he'd made just a few more sensible, not batshit crazy decisions about team selection, I think he'd have a number of fans still with him. As it is, he's got none.

It is a rather sweeping statement to say no fans still support him but that is part of the whole bandwagon that is now rolling. The level of vitriol is now reaching a level beyond considered debate.

I agree that it is probably time for SH to move on but, unlike many, I don't feel the need to abuse a guy who is trying his best.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Absolutely nothing!!! He had my loyalty when appointed and still has it.

The majority of the starting line up from last season were sold without hesitation and the CLUB has not bought adequate replacements.

You can send a monkey to space but it CANNOT fly the rocket!

I will continue to back Sami 100%.

The crowd reaction to him against Millwall sickened me and was an absolute disgrace, this club has been through some tough times, in fact times that the present situation could not possibly compare to yet the mob are out to get their scapegoat.

Yes he persist's with JFC which has to be questioned but apart from that i cannot have any reason to fault him, he doesn't need to skid along on his knees every time we score, he doesn't need to pump his fists every time Stockdale pulls off a save. He is his own man and i find his calm persona quiet refreshing for a manager.

A manager will not get a team relegated BUT a team will and that team has been constructed before Hyypia has had the chance to add his men to it.

Give the guy a break back the team and enjoy the ride, football is a funny old game with ups and downs and as a club we have had many and this is just another one.

Hyypia was appointed on 6th June 2014. Since then we have signed Hughes, O'Grady, Stockdale, Holla, McCourt, Colunga, Baldock, Bennett, Al Habsi, Bennett, Gardner, Bent, Halford and Teixeira.

So 14 players, if Sami is not strong enough to demand the players (or types of players) he needs then it is his own fault. I do not buy this 'the club has not backed him' nonsense spouted by the Sami apologists on here. Oscar was not backed, Sami has been, the club have signed an entire team plus three subs under his watch yet he still can't win a game.

In answer to the OP, nothing will change my mind about Sami now. I made my mind up pre-season seeing his tactical ineptitude first hand in several friendlies. Once the season started his inability to realise his system was totally flawed just confirmed my thoughts.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Six wins on the spin would do it. Football fans are fickle. In fact I'm not even sure that's the right word as it has a very negative meaning and you can't blame anyone for wanting Hyypia out after three wins in 21. But results are everything.

At the vast majority of clubs he would already be gone and we wouldn't be in this situation. But now the board have taken this bizarre decision he at least gets the chance to work a miracle. We'd certainly have the mother of all lickers backlash v the bedwetters in January if he did. But I think we all know that is very unlikely to happen.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Play the players in positions they know and that make sense, ie stop playing full backs as wingers, midfielders as full backs. Stop making the same mistakes game after game.
Don't agree with personal abuse he was getting on Friday, but he hasn't exactly helped himself so far (and the players we have are far better than the current showing and for that, in the main, I blame Hyypia).

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Pantani,

I am no Sami apologist, I don't care who the manager is here!

I am saying, the Board have sold us out, by selling off/releasing anyone of value or high talent.

A simple transfer In/ Transfer Out balance sheet would show this to be the case.

Garcia left as he couldn't bring people he wanted in, so I guess any manager now - Hypia inc. takes the job on that understanding.

Where does that leave us..... answer = 22nd in the Championship, facing a tough second half of the season.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Poyet cost us dearly with his Palace play off antics.

Err he was the man who got us there in the first place?! The reason he left is because he wasn't being given the budget he knew he'd need to continue being competitive. It's the boards antics towards Poyet and the ludicrous fire-sale that have cost us dear - not the best Brighton manager of recent times,

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Err he was the man who got us there in the first place?! The reason he left is because he wasn't being given the budget he knew he'd need to continue being competitive. It's the boards antics towards Poyet and the ludicrous fire-sale that have cost us dear - not the best Brighton manager of recent times,

I was referring to the pre-match dressing room antics, at home having already secured a draw at Palace.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Hyypia was appointed on 6th June 2014. Since then we have signed Hughes, O'Grady, Stockdale, Holla, McCourt, Colunga, Baldock, Bennett, Al Habsi, Bennett, Gardner, Bent, Halford and Teixeira.

So 14 players, if Sami is not strong enough to demand the players (or types of players) he needs then it is his own fault. I do not buy this 'the club has not backed him' nonsense spouted by the Sami apologists on here. Oscar was not backed, Sami has been, the club have signed an entire team plus three subs under his watch yet he still can't win a game.

In answer to the OP, nothing will change my mind about Sami now. I made my mind up pre-season seeing his tactical ineptitude first hand in several friendlies. Once the season started his inability to realise his system was totally flawed just confirmed my thoughts.

All in bold above were signed to fill the squad out, Panic signings if you want to call them that.

I very much doubt any of the permanent signings were Hyypia's choice, he has already stated he is in a better position to know who he needs and in what positions.

We haven't had a permanent left back since Painter, i suppose that's Hyppia's fault as well is it?

The answers are with one person and one person only but unfortunately we all know he is untouchable due to the good he has done for the infrastructure of the club (Which is the only way he can invest and get his money back at the end of the day!)

Look at the players we have sold and then list next to them who we have replaced them with and tell me if there adequate replacements? if you can convince me i will join the Sami out brigade.

until then i am still siding with Sami and blaming the village idiot who did NOT invest the sale of players back into the team adequately!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

All in bold above were signed to fill the squad out, Panic signings if you want to call them that.

I very much doubt any of the permanent signings were Hyypia's choice, he has already stated he is in a better position to know who he needs and in what positions.

We haven't had a permanent left back since Painter, i suppose that's Hyppia's fault as well is it?

The answers are with one person and one person only but unfortunately we all know he is untouchable due to the good he has done for the infrastructure of the club (Which is the only way he can invest and get his money back at the end of the day!)

Look at the players we have sold and then list next to them who we have replaced them with and tell me if there adequate replacements? if you can convince me i will join the Sami out brigade.

until then i am still siding with Sami and blaming the village idiot who did NOT invest the sale of players back into the team adequately!

Isn't it possible that both Hyypia and Burke haven't done good jobs? Burke hasn't given him the best tools, and Hyypia hasn't done the best with what he had?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here