Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does the Albion charge for children to be mascots?

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
There's an interesting piece in today's Guardian revealing that many Premier league clubs charge up to £600 (that's West Ham) for mascot places, thereby excluding many disadvantaged kids. What's Albion's policy anyone?:eek:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It's totally disgusting. A Premier league club charging £600. This infuriates me. Any club in the Football league that charges money should be ashamed of themselves

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
There's an interesting piece in today's Guardian revealing that many Premier league clubs charge up to £600 (that's West Ham) for mascot places, thereby excluding many disadvantaged kids. What's Albion's policy anyone?:eek:

Look at the club site and go to Young Seagulls on the fans section. there are two mascot packages -not cheap! My son was a mascot in the mid 1980s -it was free, he got a full kit given to him and we had free drinks in the player's bar afterwards. Danny Wilson was the then captain and came up to us to wish us all the best.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's totally disgusting. A Premier league club charging £600. This infuriates me. Any club in the Football league that charges money should be ashamed of themselves

Agreed.

With the mindboggling MULTI-MILLIONS of pounds pouring into PL clubs, for them to charge families £600 to have their kid as a mascot is absolutely shocking scummery of quite EPIC proportions.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Some places still free to randomly selected young seagulls I think. With the free kit etc.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Some places still free to randomly selected young seagulls I think. With the free kit etc.

Correct. My eldest boy as picked free for the Blackpool game. Had a great day. I think if I'd paid it would have set me back several hundred quid. And there's a 'captains mascot' package which gets you food as well for about £100 more.

Mental

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Randomly I got a call from Albion office a week before the Tottenham game offering my boy the chance to be the only mascot for the game for free (we already had tickets so I guess they just went down the list of away fans under 10 and picked a name).

It was great experience considering it didn't cost us a bean unlike the Tottenham mascots who had all shelled out a lot of money (as I kept being told by various mascot parents) but I'm not sure it was worth the £££'s they'd spent. We went into the Tottenham and Brighton changing rooms before the game along and out into the pitch with the players while I stood on the touch line doing the proud dad thing.

Pistol Knight

Apr 7, 2014
A Gold & Silver package at Palace!!

ITS FOR KIDS the supporters of the future FFS
Another alarming thing was Chelsea being the FIRST PL club to pay its staff the "living wage" up from MINIMUM WAGE!! how can PL clubs justify paying shit wages to its staff, the £££££'s are rolling in!!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Albion charge £350 for the Captain Mascot, and £250 for the other players.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
I'm sure Bloom, Am Express et al would be embarrassed by this fleecing of young seagulls if it was publicised. Its a complete disgrace. I'd be up for a petition.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm sure Bloom, Am Express et al would be embarrassed by this fleecing of young seagulls if it was publicised. Its a complete disgrace. I'd be up for a petition.

its hardly fleecing is it if people willing pay, and do so happily to plan a special day rather than wait on the off chance they get picked amongst dozens, hundreds, of others for the occasion to come up for free.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Charging 350 quid is a complete disgrace IMHO.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Mine did it for free at an away game a couple of seasons ago - I just had to pay for them both to have a full kit.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Albion charge £350 for the Captain Mascot, and £250 for the other players.

Someone whose son was a mascot at the Millwall game last Friday mentioned something about they had drawn their name out of a hat or something. He was very proud for his son but confesses quietly that he is (gasp) a Palace fan... but his kids aren't!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Two free and nine paid positions, I believe.

Someone whose son was a mascot at the Millwall game last Friday mentioned something about they had drawn their name out of a hat or something. He was very proud for his son but confesses quietly that he is (gasp) a Palace fan... but his kids aren't!

There are 11 mascotsfor each game. Nine are paid for, but two are drawn from the Young Seagulls membership, so therefore free.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Agreed.

With the mindboggling MULTI-MILLIONS of pounds pouring into PL clubs, for them to charge families £600 to have their kid as a mascot is absolutely shocking scummery of quite EPIC proportions.
Yep, but not even remotely surprising is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here