Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My brother – Dave “veggie postie” Jones – rest in peace

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Some of you may have known my brother, Dave “veggie postie” Jones, either personally, or at least by sight. He certainly put himself about a bit during the “gory” years. Sadly, Dave took his own life recently. He suffered from that terrible and much misunderstood condition, depression.

He was a committed, passionate Albion fan from the mid-1970s until 2005 when he began the slow descent which culminated in his suicide.

He started watching the Albion regularly in the 1975-76 season (being a glory seeker) and we went to hundreds of games together, home and away, from that time until he stopped going at the end of the 2004-05 season. He was also a member of the Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida collective, kit sponsors most notably of Kurt Nogan and Kerry Mayo. Kerry was somewhat bemused to be presented with a copy of the classic Iron Butterfly album by my brother in return for the signed shirt one season. Several of us have one of the turnstile manufacturer nameplates from the Goldstone Ground thanks to his visit to the ground the night before the Doncaster game.

Whilst in no way a leader of the protests against the Archer regime between 1995 and 1997, he was very much an activist. He can be seen in several photos in Paul Hayward’s and Stuart Weir’s excellent account of that time “More Than 90 Minutes”, most notably on p52; he is the guy in the Albion baseball cap. He was also one of the first to cross the pitch into the West Stand on that magnificent night when Bellotti was put to flight. A lesser known exploit was sending Paul Scally a dead seagull as a protest about the ground sharing arrangement.

It was sad that he chose never to watch the Albion play at Falmer and will now never have the chance, although I am sure he would have found the club’s move to being a business rather than a football club profoundly disappointing. I am equally certain he would have relished the full and frank exchange of view about the current situation in posts on here, snorting with derision at those he disagreed with.

From the Cup Final to Halifax at “home” in Gillingham he was there and was one of many who fought so hard to keep this club alive. Farewell, little brother. I hope you have found some peace at last.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
What a lovely tribute.

RIP, Dave. I hope he can rest in peace knowing that his efforts have at least given present and future generations the chance to actually support their local club.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My condolences to you and your family.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Fans like your brother Dave keep the soul in modern football and stop it becoming merely another 'product' to sell to 'customers'.

I'm sure any club would have been proud to have had him in their ranks.

Even though I never knew Dave, I'm grateful he was one of us.

Deepest sympathies to you and your family at this time.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That's terrible news. I can't place the name, but our Albion years are close enough that I'm sure he was one of the regular faces I'd remember from regular away trips in 80's & 90's, and as a STH in the Gillingham years, there weren't many faces I didn't come to recognise.

Awful loss, and I hope your family can find consolation that the anguish he was suffering, is now at an end. RIP to a fellow Albionite.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Condolences to you and your family Counting, Dave sounded like a proper fan. RIP.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
So sorry to hear that and what a great tribute.

RIP Veggie Postie.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Such a sad tale. Sorry for your loss. RIP

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
So sorry to have read this. Dave was a strong and solid person within the bring home the albion campaign, helping to envelope and stamp thousands of letters to albion fans in the withdean area.

My condolences to you for your loss. Depression is an awful and little understood condition.

Rest in peace

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So sorry mate and i know exactly how serious depression is.

Maybe a quick whip round to get a memorial brick at Falmer if they still allow them

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My condolences to you & your family. It's hard when there's a suicide in the family, & even more so, at this time of the year.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I remember dave.

Very sad news mate.

My sincere condolences to you and the family.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
RIP Dave , an Albion guerilla who fought against the axis of evil.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Didn't know him but so sorry to hear that. A close relative did the same at Christmas 2 years ago so I can understand a little of how you are feeling. Condolences to you and your family.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
That is so sad to hear.One of those many that helped us to get where we are today. Puts all the negativity about the on the field performance into perspective.
RIP David

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here